Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

I think you misunderstand what I meant. The Jackal would be a normal character, but the characters that are rpd in THftJ thread would stay there. THftJ thread is not a location, it goes across the Alleyverse, but at the same time, doesn't really affect it. So, we aren't blowing anything up, or doing any collateral damage, but normal characters can participate, and leave. Any special characters created for i, cannot leave. Wraith would act like a special character in the thread, but if he leaves the thread he becomes a special NPC. Also, Jackal will remain as a normal character.

To recap: Everything except for Wraith and Jackal was right. 

THftJ thread still exists in the Alleyverse, the characters just won't leave.

I'm keeping Jackal as a normal character.

Wraith will be a special character in the thread, and a special NC out of it.

7 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

I think you misunderstand what I meant. The Jackal would be a normal character, but the characters that are rpd in THftJ thread would stay there. THftJ thread is not a location, it goes across the Alleyverse, but at the same time, doesn't really affect it. So, we aren't blowing anything up, or doing any collateral damage, but normal characters can participate, and leave. Any special characters created for i, cannot leave. Wraith would act like a special character in the thread, but if he leaves the thread he becomes a special NPC. Also, Jackal will remain as a normal character.

To recap: Everything except for Wraith and Jackal was right. 

THftJ thread still exists in the Alleyverse, the characters just won't leave.

I'm keeping Jackal as a normal character.

Wraith will be a special character in the thread, and a special NC out of it.

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

So with that, your PC's would be The Jackal, Walker, Dusk, Silva, Sarah, and Thel. Is that correct?

I will talk with the AV mods about adjusting the character limit. We may not increase the number of PC's one could RP, but add in stipulations for rep characters or other less seen characters. I'm not sure.

Just now, Arky-boi said:

My biggest problem with the system is it was voted that one needed a character to represent rank within a guild. And if one wants characters seperate, but also needs characters for the guild...

Yeah, it would probably be best if rep characters weren't counted towards the limit, but they would need to be limited to their rep jobs, only moving into threads related to it. This would also be necessary because of how the government meetings seem to drag on, locking up characters for a long time without them being able to do anything.

3 minutes ago, Arky-boi said:

My biggest problem with the system is it was voted that one needed a character to represent rank within a guild. And if one wants characters seperate, but also needs characters for the guild...

It doesn't need to be a PC though. It could very easily be an NPC that you have to represent a guild.

In addition, sending a character to be a rep might as well be sending them to another setting. The meetings take so long.

19 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

So with that, your PC's would be The Jackal, Walker, Dusk, Silva, Sarah, and Thel. Is that correct?

Yes. I would also like to use The Tattered One, but he is OP anyways. If you are wondering how, notice that I didn't specify a range limit to his spikes size, so I will us him as a recurring Bureau character.

Now, I would prefer no limit, but I can survive on 6.

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

In addition, sending a character to be a rep might as well be sending them to another setting. The meetings take so long.

Yes. I mean, I'm not doing anything else with Doomhorn, except for the occasional off thread political party.

Just now, Darth Woodrack said:

If you are wondering how, notice that I didn't specify a range limit to his spikes size, so I will us him as a recurring Bureau character.

What?! This is going completely against the spirit of the creating characters and posting bios. You specifically hid something so that you could create an op character without having to go through the process. That’s not ok.

Just now, Snipexe said:

What?! This is going completely against the spirit of the creating characters and posting bios. You specifically hid something so that you could create an op character without having to go through the process. That’s not ok.

It was way OP for a number of other reasons, and wasn't getting approved.

No, I didn't hide anything. If someone had asked me to specify a range, I would have informed them that there was none. Now, If I had not mentioned a power that he had, that would be against the rules. Technically, since no range was specified, you should have assumed there wasn't one.

2 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

Oh, ok sorry. I was just kind of shocked.

So was I. And thank you for your comment, it is definately true.

The mods do watch the plots to see if characters are OP however, and if they act OP, then we will talk to the players about it. So even if it had slipped by us the first time, we would have caught it soon.

27 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

No, I didn't hide anything. If someone had asked me to specify a range, I would have informed them that there was none. Now, If I had not mentioned a power that he had, that would be against the rules. Technically, since no range was specified, you should have assumed there wasn't one.

That’s not the way you should be thinking about this. It shouldn’t be your goal to rely on people’s assumptions to allow you use powers that you did not mention. A lie of omission is still a lie.

I didn't omit anything. All I did was not include a range limit. If the Mods hand't caught that, then it isn't my fault. When the thing isn't mentioned, at all and you then assume it is there, it isn't the fault of the person who didn't mention it. So, if the mods assumed there was a range, that is their fault.

51 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

I didn't omit anything. All I did was not include a range limit. If the Mods hand't caught that, then it isn't my fault. When the thing isn't mentioned, at all and you then assume it is there, it isn't the fault of the person who didn't mention it. So, if the mods assumed there was a range, that is their fault.

In order to approve characters within a reasonable amount of time we make a lot of assumptions. If you have a specific trait of a power in mind and explicitly don't mention it in the bio then that is a lie by omission and your character will be banned if you try to use that as a loophole to get an OP character approved. For the same reason that if a characters power begins to creep beyond the scope of what their points dictate then we will be talking to the player and asking them to keep it within bounds. Otherwise any Elsecallers could say they Soulcast the entire planet into smoke with the justification 'I didn't say they couldn't Soulcast something that big', if you want something outside the normal then it needs to be in your profile.

Character approval and character limits are there to make the game fair for everyone, if you're trying to deliberately sneak overpowered characters through without letting people know then you are acting against the spirit of why they exist.

This is a really serious matter, if someone was caught repeatedly doing this then I would potentially be asking them to not participate in the Alleyverse. This is a collaborative RP, if you're going into it with the mindset of trying to trick everyone so you can have the biggest, baddest character and use rules lawyering to keep them then this may not be the appropriate place for you to be playing.

I'm still reading through my usual morning slog but I saw this and wanted to immediately address it.

So, I was going to limit his spikes to three feet, and I just pointed that out as an example as to why he was OP. If you had let him through with that trait, I would have pointed it out, and then limited it. I also fully expected the first question to be, 'how big can the spikes get,' and then would have put in a limit.

23 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

So, I was going to limit his spikes to three feet, and I just pointed that out as an example as to why he was OP. If you had let him through with that trait, I would have pointed it out, and then limited it. I also fully expected the first question to be, 'how big can the spikes get,' and then would have put in a limit.

In future I'd prefer if you just mentioned any limitations that you've already thought about up front. It saves us needing to ask the question and wait for a response, re-evaluate, look for more limitations that are needed, etc.
I'll be honest that's probably not one of the questions I would have asked. The velocity of them would have been one of my first questions but when you talk about the spikes coming out of his skin I'd assume the natural limitation on size would be body sized. I also wouldn't ask what the mass of the spikes were, that doesn't mean that the character is allowed to create spikes so dense that they become black holes. It's not necessarily an oversight if a question isn't asked, we just don't ask for every conceivable limitation because that would expand the already long wait time for character approvals out to infinity. We place trust in players to keep powers to a reasonable limit without needing to explicitly state every detail.

I would also add that it is far better to provide too much details instead of providing too little and it will help expedite your character approval process. In addition to minimizing the amount of back and forth that needs to be done, it can help the mods get to your application faster.

If I know that someone routinely makes OP characters and needs to be negotiated down via a long conversation, I'm going to put off approving that character until I have a lot of time. 

On the other hand, someone who is willing to make edits to their character and will provide a surplus of details to minimize the amount of back and forth that needs to be done is much more easy to work with on these sorts of things, and thus it will take a lot less time to approve their character and allow me to do it when I may not have as much time.

Edited by MacThorstenson

We as a mod team have decided to keep the character limit at 5. We are sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused, but we have decided that it would be in the best interests of the RP to have no more than 5 player characters per player. This decision is final.

Edited by Kidpen

27 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

We as a mod team have decided to keep the character limit at 5. We are sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused, but we have decided that it would be in the best interests of the RP to have no more than 5 player characters per player. This decision is final.

I can, and will, argue.

1 minute ago, Arky-boi said:

I can, and will, argue.

If you feel that we've missed something then you're more than welcome to bring it up. We were aware that this was going to impact some people negatively and are open to discussing solutions to problems that may arise from this ruling. But simply arguing or disagreeing is unlikely to result in a change to the decision.

21 hours ago, beantheboy12 said:

So. I have been working on this character, I am playing him in another RP. But anyway, he got burried by the other characters. 

Reveal hidden contents

Name: AJ Carter. Epic name Nightshot

Physical Characteristics: Brown hair, Brown eyes, WIld scar on right shoulder.

Investiture

• Epic powers

• Portals: Can make a small rift in space to create a one way gateway between two points within eyesight that he can see. It sends any object that goes in to the other one on a side of his choosing. Objects maintain momentum and come out at the same point that they went in at the corresponding portal. Portals cannot close if there is something moving through them. It takes roughly 2 seconds to make a portal.

• Perfect aim: If he looks at something and shoots at it, if his power is activated, his hand will automatically point nightsoul (See equipment)l toward the spot at which he was looking. 

Skills: (Consider epic ability 3 as projectile weapon training expert)

Equipment

• Night Soul

• A handgun with a 1 foot long barrel and 6 inch long handle. Has many modes to shoot. Including semi-auto bullets, full auto bullets, plasma, nets, grenades, shotguns, lasers, stun blasts, coinshot hazekiller rounds, flash bang grenades, seeking shots, flames, and freeze rays. Can engage a system that stabs a needle through his skin. Barely enough to avoid the gun being pushed or pulled.

WeaknessHis epic weakness is large guns. (See backstory) Whenever he is touched by a large gun or is shot by one his powers will all be nullified. 

Family: Mother dead. Father alive. Girlfriend: Sliver. Alive. Goes by Tamika.

Home Planet: Earth (Reckoners)

Backstory

When he was 8, his father took him shotgun shooting. AJ was amazed on how well his dad shot and wanted to try to. However, the shotguns knockback broke his shoulder joint and he had to go to the hospital to get surgery. Henceforth giving him a petrifying fear of shotguns.

He still was curious with guns and began to practice with handguns, learning to have exceptionally good aim with them. He competed and won a fortune. He had a dream, for a powerful weapon that he could use. So he got to work building nightsoul.

He had nearly perfected it by the time that his epic powers manifested. He accidently killed his mother with his new powers and felt horrible and guilty. His father, his partner in nightsoul’s creation ran away in fear and anger, disowning AJ. Depressed because of her death, AJ left and was taken as Calamity’s pawn. An assassin and world hopping monster. He was at lady brought by Calamity to steal a shard. They succeded, but AJ was thrown from the shard by calamity though was clear in mind for the first time ever. He traveled and survived with the sliver from that point on. In fear of becoming a pawn of calamity again, he won’t unnecessarily kill people.

Guild: TUBA

Psyche: Stable. Sometimes has haunting moments but stable.

Personality: Upbeat, Kind, has a dark side though that appears under stressful situations. A dark side that pushes everyone away and goes alone to do things.

Appearance: Coming soon?

Theme Song: Psyche theme song, except all “Psyches” have been replaced with “Snipes”

Fighting Style: Long range combat

Voidus and Mac have been scoring him. They say that the skill points may contribute to the perfect aim which totals at 80. Portals are 40, and the equipment is 50. The epic weakness is -5 making a total of 165. I was thinking for another weakness, he follows the wind runner oaths essentially. The second, third, and fourth. If he doesn’t do so, he’ll go insane.

So! Now that we have resolved the new rules, I would like to get this thread back on topic. (Does that count as on topic)

As Zinc pointed out, I said windrunner oaths. I really mean, he would not ever kill someone and won't let an innocent man die. And he'll do anything to protect them, even sacrificing his own life. How would that change his score?

I have a question about the "any characters exceeding the five PC limit are like special NPCs" thing.

Family members of characters. They've always been a little hazy with their existence. Not really NPCs, not quite PCs either.

For good reason I have never sent in bios for every Acute that exists in my head - it would be ridiculous especially since most of them are typically never seen (e.g. the Wered cousins). But in cases like with the Den of Thieves, many of them were around and active. In that particular scenario, I was RPing them all. At one point Sorana asked what they were, NPC or PC. I told her PCs that would likely not be used again out of CDS. For the duration of that thread, at one point I had control of 13 characters in the same location.

Trust me when I say that without that, almost none of them would have survived. Especially if Ark had had the ability to godmod them on occassion (no offense Ark). With this new rule in place, something like that becomes impossible. When family members are seen, the creator will lose the complete control of who they are based off of their head canon of backstory. I know most people don't bother creating comprehensive families for their characters, but I do. Every single one, with the possible exception of Gonev. 

The rule makes sense and is logical for most things and definitely is worthwhile to put in place, but this was just the one issue that sprang to mind. 

1 minute ago, beantheboy12 said:

So! Now that we have resolved the new rules, I would like to get this thread back on topic. (Does that count as on topic)

As Zinc pointed out, I said windrunner oaths. I really mean, he would not ever kill someone and won't let an innocent man die. And he'll do anything to protect them, even sacrificing his own life. How would that change his score?

I'd put that at a -20 weakness, but I'm still a little unsure how I feel about the equipment so I'll leave sign off to one of the other mods.

I have actually just seen the backstory as well, not sure if that was always there but I have two concerns on that.
1. Stealing a shard? Assuming you mean a literal Shard and not a Shardblade/Shardplate then that's definitely a no-go
2. Calamity using them as an assassin. Calamity didn't tend to get personally involved with many Epics, not sure that I'd be ok with making that a part of a characters backstory. We generally try to avoid interaction with canonical characters because it makes things awkward.

2 minutes ago, Silva said:

Trust me when I say that without that, almost none of them would have survived. Especially if Ark had had the ability to godmod them on occassion (no offense Ark). With this new rule in place, something like that becomes impossible. When family members are seen, the creator will lose the complete control of who they are based off of their head canon of backstory. I know most people don't bother creating comprehensive families for their characters, but I do. Every single one, with the possible exception of Gonev. 

:)