Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

16 minutes ago, AonEne said:

16 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I’ll be honest, one of my first reactions was achievement unlocked! because you’re the first person I’ve met who’s used those. :P Would the equivalent of the contraction they’re be ze’re? 

And here’s this thread, if you still want it. :D 

Lol that's OK, my first thought was this little tinny not quite 8 bit level up sequence reading that.

That's how I've read and written it, but there are variations in neopronouns. As a side thought because that reminded me, I'm always amused when someone's like, "You can't use neopronouns they're made up," and I'm just like, "Erm ... I have something to tell you about all language..." heh anyway, If Even it's not technically accurate, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the link! If you're using a screenreader, this site definitely has character, it's very quirky, and does what it wants when it wants. So I appreciate it. :)

All right, thanks! 

You’re welcome. If you ever need a link to something or can’t find something, I’m happy to try to help, though fair warning I have no experience in describing stuff to people with screenreaders, so my help might be really bad. :P 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, SingingMosaic said:

I forgot I needed to ask the question I asked in the character thread here, so oops, respond here I'll see it. :)

Yes, you can make a new character and have them survive it! 

Also, a totally random question I had: how many points would a Ryshadium be? 

Hello everyone

I was planning on making an alleyverse character soon, and an idea for a power popped into my head. I don't know whether this would be allowed or not.

In the 'His Dark Materials' series, by Phillip Pullman, there is a character who can...

Spoiler

...have out of body experiences, and even travel to other worlds(although not physically) Through Shamanic powers and meditation.

Yes, this is not a Cosmere book, so it is not a Cosmere power.

Would be it be possible to do this with a known form of investiture? (Have out of body experiences, allowing you to explore this world and others)

I also have seen an Aes Sedai character, since WoT is not a Cosmere series(But still Brandon Sanderson) I wondered if my character could still utilize this power.

Also, how many points would that be?

Thanks for any help and I hope to see you soon in the Alleyverse!

Hello @Lord_Silberfarben :)

The magics of every Sanderson novel are authorized (+Warhammer 40k for some reason) and the coast in points of most of them are there, the part about WoT is a bit messy so I'm not sure whether it cost 25 points or minus 25 points.

The power you're describing seems like a possible Epic power or maybe even a possible Nightwatcher boon so I guess it would be possible if you're character is from one of the Reckoners' Earth or went to the Nightwatcher, as for the point cost I guess it's a question for @Voidus

Ok thank you very much

Nightwatcher is probably the best.
And I also get a nice curse.

I was trying to find an excuse to have a hoopak.

and I thought if I were capable of seeing into other worlds it would be explainable how I got the idea for a hoopak.

you will see me soon!

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

ok

I hope this character is good...

Spoiler

Name: Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben

Investiture: Nightwatched boon. He visited the Nightwatcher and asked... For knowledge.
Now he is able to see into other worlds, this power is uncontrollable, and often only finds knowledge usable on another world which he will never visit.

Weakness: Nightwatched curse: May never tell anyone about his knowledge or his power. He also suffers restless nights, in which he sees into other worlds. Also, sees everything upside down, because he failed to keep his power secret.

Special skills and Weapons: He sometimes finds ideas for other useful weapons in other worlds. Since he is a skilled craftsman he can replicate them. The most useful up to now was the Hoopak. A versatile weapon created by Kenders. The Hoopak serves both as staff, spear, sling, and storage. It might even serve as a musical instrument for a pinch.

Physical characteristics: Shin, young male. (Pale, no epicanthic fold...)

Family: Son to two accomplished craftsmen(And... Craftswoman)

Home: Shinovar, Roshar. He never settled for too long in any particular place.

History/Biography: Lord was born in Shinovar, son to two artisans. He acquired crafting skills but was not content with the simple life of a Shin craftsman. Throughout his life was reigned by the desire for knowledge. In fact, He got involved with a group of shin interested in the surges. When this group, Lord amongst them, was declared truthless, Lord himself also had to leave his home.

After that, he wandered the west, happily taking artisan work for a living.

And then he heard about the Nightwatcher, a being who could grant boons to a traveler brave enough to dare her curse.

And so he arrived to the Nightwatcher. As a ragged traveler with grandeur in his mind.

And what did he ask for?

Knowledge.

And that is what he got. But not of the sort he hoped.

From then on, every night, he would dream about other places. places with creatures and technology known and unknown.

Until one night, he dreamed of a group of weary travelers trudging across an obsidian ground, surrounded by a sea of beads. They submerged themselves into a light. And suddenly, he dreamt for the first time of his own world.

He joined these travelers, world hoppers they called themselves.

That way he learned a Worldhopper's way of lengthening their lives, and many others of their secrets. In a way, he had what he had wished for.

And then, on a pleasant night on the DIDGERIDOO, Alleycity, after many unspiked drinks, he revealed his own secret. The only secret he was not allowed to share with someone willing to learn.

How he came across such inventive ideas?

Welllllll He slurred drunkenly I once visited... that one. The vine woman. Oh yeah! The Nightwa...

He then collapsed on himself. All the others thought he had fainted with alcohol. 

But he didn't join them the day later, nor the day after...

They Worldhoppers had to depart, they had somewhere important to be.

Meanwhile, Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben Stared at the ceiling of the small room someone kind enough had provided for him.

It was the only place he could look at without feeling nauseated.

Up is down now, at least to his eyes, and down up.

please criticize and suggest.

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

hmmm

weird

the previous post has formatting issues i can't seem to be able to fix.

weird.

Spoiler

Investiture: Nightwatched boon. He visited the Nightwatcher and asked... For knowledge.
Now he is able to see into other worlds, this power is uncontrollable, and often only finds knowledge usable on another world which he will never visit.

Weakness: Nightwatched curse: May never tell anyone about his knowledge or his power. He also suffers restless nights, in which he sees into other worlds. Also, sees everything upside down, because he failed to keep his power secret.

Special skills and Weapons: He sometimes finds ideas for other useful weapons in other worlds. Since he is a skilled craftsman he can replicate them. The most useful up to now was the Hoopak. A versatile weapon created by Kenders. The Hoopak serves both as staff, spear, sling, and storage. It might even serve as a musical instrument for a pinch.

History/Biography: Lord was born in Shinovar, son to two artisans. He acquired crafting skills but was not content with the simple life of a Shin craftsman. Throughout his life was reigned by the desire for knowledge. In fact, He got involved with a group of shin interested in the surges. When this group, Lord amongst them, was declared truthless, Lord himself also had to leave his home.

And then he heard about the Nightwatcher, a being who could grant boons to a traveler brave enough to dare her curse.

And so he arrived to the Nightwatcher. As a ragged traveler with grandeur in his mind.

And what did he ask for?

Knowledge.

From then on, every night, he would dream about other places. places with creatures and technology known and unknown.

Until one night, he dreamed of a group of weary travelers trudging across an obsidian ground, surrounded by a sea of beads. They submerged themselves into a light. And suddenly, he dreamt for the first time of his own world.

That way he learned a Worldhopper's way of lengthening their lives, and many others of their secrets. In a way, he had what he had wished for.

And then, on a pleasant night on the DIDGERIDOO, Alleycity, after many unspiked drinks, he revealed his own secret. The only secret he was not allowed to share with someone willing to learn.

Welllllll He slurred drunkenly I once visited... that one. The vine woman. Oh yeah! The Nightwa...

He then collapsed on himself. All the others thought he had fainted with alcohol. 

Meanwhile, Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben Stared at the ceiling of the small room someone kind enough had provided for him.

copy pasting it seemed to fix it. well.

2 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

hmmm

weird

the previous post has formatting issues i can't seem to be able to fix.

weird.

Reveal hidden contents

And what did he ask for?

Knowledge.

copy pasting it seemed to fix it. well.

Actually, character sheets should be post in this thread :)

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Pros of being Returned:

You're muscular (probably, but not definitely, if you're male)

You're tall (probably, but not definitely, if you're male)

You're... curvy? (if you're female, probably)

You can commit suicide to save someone

You can theoretically get small amounts of future sight

Actually the pros of being Returned are:

- A body closer to your ideal

- Limited shapeshifting

- Limited access to fortune ('cause Lightsong can't be that lucky at Tarachin)

- Ability to fully heal someone by sacrificing yourself

- Fifth Heightening

- "Only" needs 1,500 breath to attain the 6th heightening

Of the power granted by the fifth heightening are agelessness and perfect life sense.I doubt perfect life sense can cost less than A-bronze, which means 35. Agelessness would probably cost something like C-atium-(A-atium+F-atium)=55 (which, to be fair, seems more than it should)

(C for compounder)

15 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Cons of being returned:

You die if you don't consume souls every week.

Actually, breaths are gaseous Endowment, not souls. More importantly, this was estimated to 10 weakness point on Xanas's character sheet, and while he can probably use voidmaking to steal investiture from other people, I doubt it counts for a lot.

Edited by mathiau

21 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Fifth Heightening

- "Only" needs 1,500 breath to attain the 6th heightening

i actually completely forgot about that one. That makes a lot more sense.

(wow it's been too long since read warbreaker)

The second is not however worth any points, as it's not actually a difference in powers.

11 minutes ago, Emi said:

Hi I want to join Alleyverse, so here is my caracter ^_^

Hide contents

Name: Allenice

Age/Gender: 17/Female

abbilities: tineye and steelrunner

weakness: She often get paralize if she sees blood/ is scared of darkness/ enclosed

physical look: long white wavy hair, one eye blue and one black

personality: Sensitive, but forced she can be merciless. The only problem is, that she can't sort out with bigger group, because she would paralize. She is wary, but if she trust somebody, she will be loyal to the end

hobby: animals, she is always feeling like they like her

history: Her father is from Scadrial and mother is Rosharan lighteye. They both are kind of rich, but Alleince was disinherited.( Her father went to nightwather and wished for wealth. His bane is, that he will never love his first daughter. It also can be reason for her rare look.) Becuse of that Alleince always was ignored and humiliated. Althought her mother loved her and was the only person who loved her. He often closed her in dark room, so she could't use her tin. Because of that she is now scared of the darkness By the age of 15 she run out of house and started being a thief. Because of her abilities stealing was easy and she quikly learnt how to survive on the street. However, she is still looking for peace and acceptation.

I hope she's balanced. If not please tell me and I will change it as fast as I can :)

Hello Emi :)

I think should consult the index, for simple powers like the metalic arts it gives exactly how much power you can have :)

(Also, you should add part saying whether if Allenice is in a Guild and which one(s))

I want to change him so that he comes from one of the AV worlds, or half worlds, or simply unmappable places, and to change him mechanically to whatever fits best. Here's his character sheet, with most of the extra Numenera mechanic stuff that wouldn't make any sense removed, and a bit of explanation for his original context. Note that I expect most of this will be lumped into single abilities and some of it will disappear completely, either for being not applicable or or not able to fit in the point cap.

@Sorana

Warning: Quite long.

What he feels like:

To me, he's a cross between a mad scientist and an explorer. He's a lost wanderer, belonging to no place and no time. He's ageless. His eyes are ancient but he's like a child, even when doing things most think of as terrible, because his context is so unstuck from time. He's weary but curious, full of energy but tired, full of purpose yet spontaneous. In the face of eternity, we are all children, and part of why he is how he is is because he is acutely aware of it. He has seen so much but he is always looking up, and it's possibly because he has seen so much, rather than in spite of it. He regularly does things that seem either horrible or reckless to many, yet he doesn't care any less for people, or his own life. His emotions are there, and they're intense, but they're familiar and alien, a contradiction that walks too close to itself to be separate or opposed. Perhaps the most telling part, to me, is that I can write all of this and still feel like I don't understand him at all. And so I bring him here, with inevitably different areas of expertise, abilities and story details, but with the same framework.

Context:

This world is set a billion years in the future. At that time,nine great civilizations have risen and fallen. Everything has been explored and forgotten and expanded and then left unmapped again, because no one can survive mapping it. No one knows what anything is anymore, so all technology is called numenera. It follows Arthur C. Clarke's quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Beings from many different places and different universes have lived, built, dreamed and died on the planet. It is riddled with incredible feats of engineering, strange lifeforms new, changed and engineered, dimensionally impossible places, the fascinating and unreadable remains of long gone societies, horrible desolation, and sometimes stark beauty, and much of it is inimical to life. Other worlds are still accessible through forgotten or little understood ways. Somehow the sun has been modified to remain stable. There is a world, built into the edges of black holes, or wormholes I forget which and yes I know there's a big difference lol, which is literally an entire world of thought, for example. Everything you think you make, and communities expand their territory there through battles of will. It's only one of the countless strange things, like the Iron Wind, which is formed from the nanites that now permeate everything, which when it comes over anything, including a living thing, can change it in strange and random ways.

Character, still in his original context:

Character name: Dot

I am a weird jack who radiates vitality.
For those who have played Numenera, other adjectives that might have applied to him and/or were almost used for him are: clever, intelligent, mechanical, swift, adaptable, curious, intuitive, irrepressible. Weird is still ultimately best for Numenera, since you have one adjective.
Other verbs that might have applied to him and/or were almost used for him are: breaks down walls, explores dark places, learns from adversity, sees beyond, talks to machines.
Skills:
Understanding Numenera 2
Navigation 1
Perception 1
Intellect defense 1
Inabilities:
Inability with heavy weapons
Pleasant social interactions
Tricks of the trade and focus abilities:
*Fleet of Foot: Move short distance as part of another action. Move long distance as entire action for a turn. If you apply a level of Effort, can move long distance and make an attack as entire action for a turn.
*Late Inspiration: Retry a task failed within past one minute, using same difficulty/modifiers, except this time you have an asset.
*A sense for the weird. At GM's discretion, weird things relating to numenera or effects call out to you. Can sense them from long range, can sense whether it is overtly dangerous.
*Encouraging Presence: Allies in short range gain an asset on defense rolls.
*Extra Recovery. Biomorphic field grants an additional 1 action recovery each day.
*Augment cypher: Raise an activated cypher's level by 1. +1 per level of effort.
(Note: Cyphers are like one use numenera of various descriptions, everything from pills to injectables to patches to drones to little boxes that can do pretty much anything, depending on what it is. I imagine all the numenera related skills would get lumped into some other kind of experimentation/weird system to play with.)
*Recharge cypher: Recharge cypher used in last 10 minutes. Need to touch cypher, spend 1 xp, and make an understanding Numenera roll equal to its level.
*Empathy: Pulse a living creature within short range that I know is there, or pulse and hope I picked the right spot. Learn their level and surface thoughts for up to 1 minute. If it becomes aware, it can escape through mental effort or moving out of range. Action to initiate
Equipment and Accessories: 
Clothing: tough, nondescript clothing, dark greys, greens, black, close-fitting but cut well so as not to impede movement, an array of pockets on the pants, light boots.
Weapons: short sword and bow of some type
Armor: Light leather armor subtly etched with odd opposite spirals at the shoulders and on the forward part of the forearms, with stitching the color of garnet.
A variety of light tools, explorer's equipment and survival equipment.
Background, Connection, and Advancement:
*Personal Background: 
Member of a guild of explorers who specialize in uncovering ancient mysteries.
*Origin of power: born lucky
You seem to be better than most people because you are. Your ancestors were part of a genetic experiment, and your genes are superior to those of the average human. You're smarter, stronger, more dexterous, and able to learn mental and physical skills more quickly. Folks might call you charismatic, blessed, divinely gifted, or just plain lucky. They probably said the same thing about your parents, their parents, and so on. Some of your genetic advantage might even grant you low-level psychic abilities that greatly resemble the "miracles" performed by Nanos.
Advancement: 
You might be a superhuman, but you're still limited by what you learn and experience. Therefore, you must continue to train and study. Practice is the key--it just comes easier for you than it does for others. When you improve, it's because you have honed your natural abilities or unlocked heretofore unknown genetic traits.
*Physical description: Small, barely over five feet in height. Compact, powerful build. Strikingly dark skin,nearly the same shade as his black hair. Dark eyes that faintly gleam peer intently out of an angular face. Quick, scarred hands, long-fingered and capable. With his build and a runner's legs and arms, no space is wasted in his figure. With his square face and flattened nose and ears, he looks unfinished, or like someone who has been smashed into walls more than a few too many times. A dark silver-colored, flesh and blood eye in a tarnished-looking metal ring can rise from a space inset into the top of his head and zoom around him at very close range.
*Backstory: He was a dustbin baby, the various people who tried to take him in always seemed to meet strange ends. Finally, in his teens, he was adopted by a wiry nano with quick, flashing hands, zir stubborn resourcefulness gave zem the resilience required to resist the trend. Ze is still alive, somewhere. Occasionally he gets cryptic letters or packets from zem containing seemingly useless knicknacks, odd-looking rocks or bits of shell or tufts of metal fur, little tarnished pieces of metal or strips of iridescent fabric, etc. Ze introduced him to his guild and gave him the name he uses now, saying, "You're so small you're just a dark dot if you stand still," despite the fact that there are plenty people smaller technically. Now, fifteen years later, the trend of people around him to be unlucky at least seems to have been broken.

Edited by SingingMosaic
Several edits, to remove inapplicable things and actually put a tag in.

@mathiau your character, nullblade, has a slight problem

I know we can just say nah it's fine cause we do that, but aluminum savants wouldn't actually work that way, or be possible

Andrew The Great (paraphrased)

What benefit does an aluminum savant get?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Is it even possible to become an aluminum savant? You'd have to be burning aluminum consistently, and aluminum just kind of goes away in a burst....

please don't take this in any way as a criticism, it just caught my interest so I thought I would look into it  :D

Edited by Ark1002
emoji for tone

11 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

@mathiau your character, nullblade, has a slight problem

I know we can just say nah it's fine cause we do that, but aluminum savants wouldn't actually work that way, or be possible

please don't take this in any way as a criticism, it just caught my interest so I thought I would look into it  :D

I had gone with the assumption the allomantically burning aluminium didn't affect aluminium because it's how it work with duralumin and because aluminium :)

As for what it would do, I have another quote

Douglas

What benefit does an aluminum savant get? Yes, I know this would normally never happen because aluminum burns itself up. Suppose a mad scientist with a willing Mistborn test subject shoved a feeding tube down the Mistborn's throat to pump in a continuous stream of aluminum, replenishing it steadily so there's always a new unburned supply. Add another tube to pump out excess water if necessary. What would he discover? Alternatively, what would Sazed with his Shard-granted knowledge know?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha, that IS a little silly of a method. However, on the extreme end of aluminum, I have in the notes the possibility of cleansing the spirit of unwanted effects of other Investitures. You'd get really good at this, and maybe even be able to cleanse the body of other impurities.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012)

The Dark Alley is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural. :ph34r:

On a less joking side of things, I think he could just use some handwavium here and say due to some Epic attack from his Earth or an Epic-like ability, it accelerated the effects of his aluminum burning, causing savanthood without the aforementioned feeding tube of aluminum. Plus, in a team of Epics, I would definitely be burning aluminum all the time if possible.

As for how it works, you could just say that part of being an aluminum savant is the ability to extend the "burst" time of the aluminum being burned - and Nullblade is far enough gone down that path that he burns it at a rate more like a normal metal.

Or you could just have him look like Bane and have feeding tubes constantly pumping aluminum into him, but I don't think that was the route mathiau was planning on. 

hmmm guys I have a question

so for a psychotic serial killer character

should I go amberite+bestarin or amberite+night?

or all three? but that would take a lot of weaknesses

Edited by bees?
nah i'm goin amberite+night realized that 50+45+25 is a *bit* over 100