Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

4 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Unrelated question: do characters carry over between Eras? I've seen some things that seem to imply that they don't, but I was hoping to keep Aln around.

Yep, unless you don't want them to. What've you seen suggesting otherwise? :huh:

I have a question about point scoring for the mod team that's a little...unorthodox. Gonna put it in a spoiler box, just for funsies, because I have no idea how long this will end up being.

Spoiler

I've been trying to rework Malu and make it make sense while still completely overhauling him completely into one sadistic sonovagun, but only because I think there's nowhere currently to go with him. What if I were to have him go to the Nightwatcher and ask to be able to grow in power and she splits him to where he ends up like an Invested Jekyll/Hide situation - the old Malu exists one day, and then the next day the new Malu comes out to play. They'd both be aware that there's someone else, but not have memories of what the other did on a given day. How would this end up counted?  

59 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I have a question about point scoring for the mod team that's a little...unorthodox. Gonna put it in a spoiler box, just for funsies, because I have no idea how long this will end up being.

Reveal hidden contents

I've been trying to rework Malu and make it make sense while still completely overhauling him completely into one sadistic sonovagun, but only because I think there's nowhere currently to go with him. What if I were to have him go to the Nightwatcher and ask to be able to grow in power and she splits him to where he ends up like an Invested Jekyll/Hide situation - the old Malu exists one day, and then the next day the new Malu comes out to play. They'd both be aware that there's someone else, but not have memories of what the other did on a given day. How would this end up counted?  

Depending on the implications of their interactions, Most likely they would be rated as two separate characters, so long as it was a day by day thing and not a, as soon as scholar malu gets in a fight then fighting malu comes out sort of situation.

Does that make sense?

3 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Depending on the implications of their interactions, Most likely they would be rated as two separate characters, so long as it was a day by day thing and not a, as soon as scholar malu gets in a fight then fighting malu comes out sort of situation.

Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense, thanks Mac.

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Perhaps I misunderstood some other posts. Thanks!

You can certainly keep them! Most of mine are from Era 2 and I don't plan to put them aside. I'm not even half done with their development.

A lot of characters died at the end of Era 1, but that changed a bit, as the rp evolved.

5 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

Cooking up a cool idea for a character I might use next Era, do you guys think it would be possible for dual dead shard axes, to exist/feasibly attained, along with reinforced shardplate/multi-layer shardplate, and what would be the estimated points needed for that?

Dual Shardblades are certainly a possibility, would just be 2* point cost. (Maybe a little less given that it's not really significantly beneficial to have 2 instead of 1)
Reinforced Shardplate is a little harder, it's a little hard to justify in-world as well, how were you picturing it? Just like 1 Shardplate on top of the other?

10 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Dual Shardblades are certainly a possibility, would just be 2* point cost. (Maybe a little less given that it's not really significantly beneficial to have 2 instead of 1)

I was thinking of having them attached to chains, which can be used to wield them like whips, kind of like Kratos's Blades of chaos.

10 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Reinforced Shardplate is a little harder, it's a little hard to justify in-world as well, how were you picturing it? Just like 1 Shardplate on top of the other?

Not really, more like modified shardplate, using steel/aluminum to strengthen it, at the sacrifice of speed and maneuverability.

Edited by Lord Furret

Just now, Lord Furret said:

I was thinking of having them attached to chains, which can be use to wield them like whips, kind of like Kratos's Blades of chaos.

Not really, more like modified shardplate, using steel/aluminum to strengthen it, at the sacrifice of speed and maneuverability.

I'd say Aluminium would likely interfere with the Investiture too much to work, but something like being steel reinforced should be possible I think. And if you're willing for it to come at the expense of speed then we might be able to just call it even and leave the point total as-is.

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

I'd say Aluminium would likely interfere with the Investiture too much to work, but something like being steel reinforced should be possible I think. And if you're willing for it to come at the expense of speed then we might be able to just call it even and leave the point total as-is.

Sounds pretty good to me. Another weakness to it, is that a group of coinshots/lurchers could use the metal in the armor against him. Also, I might just make the Axes steel.

Can I have an opinion on how many points a hammer-space bag would be worth, with the bag containing a small arsenal of weapons (sniper, grenade launcher, assault rifle, two smgs and ammo, including anti-steelpusher hazekiller rounds)?

Edited by kenod

Hi! I'm back! I'm going to try to be more active again. Probably will try to stay in a smaller thread that I won't fall behind in if I don't check every 30 minuets! (I love you humans:D)

Wanted to see what you guys thought about this character concept. it's a bit weird but it's what I pictured the mixing of these powers would do.

The idea is someone forming a bond to a spren that's been hurt badly. Someone that already was a Rioter.

Gasper was a Rioter from Scadrial who managed to be in the right place at the right time. [insert cool spren name here], who is an Honorspren, was attacked in the cognitive realm by some hemalurgists who spiked out the gravitation surge from her soul. Close to death and desperate, she bonded the first human she could. Gasper is a worldhopper and knew enough about the Radiants that he noticed the sprens attempts to bond him. Gasper said the words and became a Knight Radiant. 

His abilities are way different from a normal Windrunner. The nahel bond attached to his Rioter abilities in order to make up for the missing Gravitation surge. He can now do some funky stuff with emotions. He can use the Adhesion surge normally and still can Riot same as always, but now he has a new power with the combination of those two abilities. He can "lock" peoples emotions by rioting an emotion and then using the adhesion surge to bind the persons cognitive aspect(spiritual aspect? I'm not sure if emotions would be a cognitive or spiritual thing). When he locks someone's emotions they are stuck feeling whatever that emotion was until the surge fades away (that can take minuets/hours/days depending on how they felt to start with). As he develops his skills he'll figure out how to do something more devastating. When he learns enough about his abilities he'll be able to lock your emotions towards people/things/memories. The more realistic the emotion the more likely that it'll stick. the longer the artificial emotion stays the more likely that it'll become true.

For example: Gasper hates winter. Can't stand it. And yet he has a friend who loves winter. Wanting to change his friends mind, he talks to him about it so that his friend is thinking about winter. Once sure that his friend is in fact thinking about winter Gasper riots the friends hatred of winter and locks it. Since his friend loves winter the binding will only last about ten minuets. During this time his friend will hate winter but won't be sure why. However, it will leave a permanent mark, he'll never love winter quite as much as before (unless he realizes what happened and can take counter actions). Gasper just has to repeat this process often enough for the surge to stick and fully bind his friends emotions. Once fully bound the friend will have a very hard time breaking the bond, though it's not impossible. (note: this would take the better part of a year.)

Gasper can also bind emotions to inanimate objects. By doing so the object will emit an emotion to all those nearby. (Imagine a door that actually made you terrified or a statue that automatically made you feel awe.)

I don't have the specifics on his personality... He's not an entirely stable person... but I wanted to know what you guys would think about this as a concept before fully flushing out a character. 

As the consequences of Gasper's abilities would largely be within other characters' heads I would also like to know if you guys would be willing for him to occasionally mess with your characters' minds. It would be up to you guys how much damage he does to your character's well being and mental state. I want to know if you guys would even allow damage to be done or if you would pretend nothing had happened.

I don't intend for this character to be OP. If you check my other characters you'll see I prefer interesting over powerful. I would want to further develop this character and his powers but would do so carefully. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm not trying to make a character that would overwhelm/overpower everyone else. Gasper would be the trickster in the background. Playful and dangerous. He won't stab you with a shardblade but he can twist you up until your mind breaks. His morality is questionable. his spren is heavily damaged and isn't entirely an Honorspren anymore. The oaths are mostly the same. He'll have to push through some of his darkness to swear a new oath. I think I would start him close to swearing the second oath, which would probably go something like: "I'll protect the brokenhearted."

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Thoughts?

I think it’s a good idea and a really creative backstory. And I’m always happy to see creative characters with unique abilities :). I don’t think there would be a problem for Gasper to use his emotion locking on PCs, it is just a longer-term version of regular Rioting/Soothing. However, in the example you provided you said part of the emotion-locking is permanent, or indefinite unless the PC recognises and breaks out of it.

I believe putting a permanent change on a PC like in the example would require their permission. Other than that, the normal emotion locking (which you said wears off) wouldn’t require express permission, as it’s like normal Emotional Allomancy RPing. I am also unsure about the mechanics of binding emotions to objects, since they don’t have emotions?

Other than that, great character! Look forward to seeing them in the RP :) 

2 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Hi! I'm back! I'm going to try to be more active again. Probably will try to stay in a smaller thread that I won't fall behind in if I don't check every 30 minuets! (I love you humans:D)

Wanted to see what you guys thought about this character concept. it's a bit weird but it's what I pictured the mixing of these powers would do.

The idea is someone forming a bond to a spren that's been hurt badly. Someone that already was a Rioter.

Gasper was a Rioter from Scadrial who managed to be in the right place at the right time. [insert cool spren name here], who is an Honorspren, was attacked in the cognitive realm by some hemalurgists who spiked out the gravitation surge from her soul. Close to death and desperate, she bonded the first human she could. Gasper is a worldhopper and knew enough about the Radiants that he noticed the sprens attempts to bond him. Gasper said the words and became a Knight Radiant. 

His abilities are way different from a normal Windrunner. The nahel bond attached to his Rioter abilities in order to make up for the missing Gravitation surge. He can now do some funky stuff with emotions. He can use the Adhesion surge normally and still can Riot same as always, but now he has a new power with the combination of those two abilities. He can "lock" peoples emotions by rioting an emotion and then using the adhesion surge to bind the persons cognitive aspect(spiritual aspect? I'm not sure if emotions would be a cognitive or spiritual thing). When he locks someone's emotions they are stuck feeling whatever that emotion was until the surge fades away (that can take minuets/hours/days depending on how they felt to start with). As he develops his skills he'll figure out how to do something more devastating. When he learns enough about his abilities he'll be able to lock your emotions towards people/things/memories. The more realistic the emotion the more likely that it'll stick. the longer the artificial emotion stays the more likely that it'll become true.

For example: Gasper hates winter. Can't stand it. And yet he has a friend who loves winter. Wanting to change his friends mind, he talks to him about it so that his friend is thinking about winter. Once sure that his friend is in fact thinking about winter Gasper riots the friends hatred of winter and locks it. Since his friend loves winter the binding will only last about ten minuets. During this time his friend will hate winter but won't be sure why. However, it will leave a permanent mark, he'll never love winter quite as much as before (unless he realizes what happened and can take counter actions). Gasper just has to repeat this process often enough for the surge to stick and fully bind his friends emotions. Once fully bound the friend will have a very hard time breaking the bond, though it's not impossible. (note: this would take the better part of a year.)

Gasper can also bind emotions to inanimate objects. By doing so the object will emit an emotion to all those nearby. (Imagine a door that actually made you terrified or a statue that automatically made you feel awe.)

I don't have the specifics on his personality... He's not an entirely stable person... but I wanted to know what you guys would think about this as a concept before fully flushing out a character. 

As the consequences of Gasper's abilities would largely be within other characters' heads I would also like to know if you guys would be willing for him to occasionally mess with your characters' minds. It would be up to you guys how much damage he does to your character's well being and mental state. I want to know if you guys would even allow damage to be done or if you would pretend nothing had happened.

I don't intend for this character to be OP. If you check my other characters you'll see I prefer interesting over powerful. I would want to further develop this character and his powers but would do so carefully. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm not trying to make a character that would overwhelm/overpower everyone else. Gasper would be the trickster in the background. Playful and dangerous. He won't stab you with a shardblade but he can twist you up until your mind breaks. His morality is questionable. his spren is heavily damaged and isn't entirely an Honorspren anymore. The oaths are mostly the same. He'll have to push through some of his darkness to swear a new oath. I think I would start him close to swearing the second oath, which would probably go something like: "I'll protect the brokenhearted."

Thoughts?

I really like the idea, but tying the emotions to a specific object or idea would be very difficult from what we know of emotional allomancy. You can control the emotion, but not what it might be related to.

2 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Thoughts?

As a huge fan of emotional Allomancy, I think this is an awesome idea. I have to agree on the confusion regarding emotion towards objects, but I'd love to read about this character or have an interaction with him. Is he for hire? Can he make a person feel one way or another about a circumstance or person, etc. for a fee? Emotional mercenary!

Edited by ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

I really like the idea, but tying the emotions to a specific object or idea would be very difficult from what we know of emotional allomancy. You can control the emotion, but not what it might be related to.

My thought is that with a little psychology you could broaden the use of zinc a little bit. Also with the adhesion surge playing into it allowing you to tie emotions to specific thoughts. It would require the victim to actively be thinking about it. And even then you could accidently stick the emotion to the wrong thought. 

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I am also unsure about the mechanics of binding emotions to objects, since they don’t have emotions?

My thought was that he was binding his zinc abilities to the object. Like when a Lightweaver ties an illusion to something. The object would be rioting peoples emotions.

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Is he for hire? Can he make a person feel one way or another about a circumstance or person, etc. for a fee? Emotional mercenary!

I kinda picture him looking for a mentor (not that he would ever admit it). He's had a lot of pain in his life and suddenly has become a Radiant. But I suppose he needs to make a living some how

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I happen to have an experienced Rioter character that could fit this role if you want :P

That would be great!

Spoiler

Name: Jasper Locket

Physical Characteristics: Short (5'7"). Black, close cropped hair. Blue eyes. Lean build. Has an inviting air that often makes people more open to him.

Investiture: Windrunner of the first Ideal(close to second ideal. He also calls himself a Soulbinder instead of Windrunner). Is also a Rioter. Due to unusual circumstances he doesn't have the Gravitation surge and instead the Adhesion surge and his zinc abilities have become intertwined. He can use both abilities separately or use varying combinations of the two.

Variant ability 1: He can lock peoples' emotions for an extended length of time. (Time varies depending on person, how strongly they already felt, and if they are resisting.) He can attach feelings to memories or towards other people by having his victim actively thinking about the target thought and then rioting an emotion and finally uses adhesion to bind the emotion to the thought(This is not something he's good at. most people think about multiple things at once and he often attaches the emotion to the wrong thought).  This can have long term effects and can potentially permanently alter a person.

Variant ability 2: He can stick an emotion to an object so that it emits his Rioting on people nearby. Requires fuel and Jasper can't Riot with whatever emotion he sticks to the object.* 

Resonance: Unknown. (I feel as if it should be very subtle. The normal Windrunner Resonance, Strength of Squires, doesn't seem like it would fit, but I haven't thought what else it could be.)

Weaknesses: He doesn't have access to the Gravitation surge. He also has little fighting skills and prefers alternate methods of resolving conflicts. He's desperate to be liked. 

Skills: He is a good scholar and reads enough to know a fair amount about the world at large. He is very perceptive and enjoys studying people. He's also a good cook. If need be he has throwing knives which he's average with.  

Personality: He is less then stable. He was always a manipulator and with his new powers he has become far worse. He does care about people but also loves to play with them. He can be kindhearted to those he likes and can tear people apart from the inside-out if he doesn't like them. He wishes to be better but also thinks his way is the best.  

Backstory: Grew up on Scadrial (Era 1). He was a noble. His mother was a skilled mistborn and his father was a pewter misting. His parents were less than impressed with him being a zinc misting but never said anything. Jasper is pretty perceptive and knew what they thought anyways. He left his family and became an Obligator. Rising through the ranks he eventually was promoted over to the Atium Pits as a bureaucrat (He despised the job). He felt pity for the skaa at the pits but also believed them to be terrible criminals (which for the most part they were). One night he discovered worldhoppers who were using the Pits. Intrigued, he convinced them to take him with them and has never returned. He spent most of his time on Alleyplanet with the occasional trip to Roshar. On the latest of these trips he found a spren following him. The spren was very faint but looked like a windspren. Correctly assuming it was an Honorspren, he swore the first oath and became a Knight Radiant. (As a fun side note: He lost all his Obligator tattoos when he first breathed Stormlight.) With his new powers he attempted to make his crush love him. He didn't know what he was doing and ended up driving her to insanity. He tried making her love him and attempted to attach good vibes to all her memoires of him. he also tried to get rid of the competition by making her hate those she currently liked. He didn't understand her enough and created to many conflicting emotions that her mind simply couldn't handle. He left her in an asylum on Roshar. Racked with grief and guilt, he swore to himself he would master his abilities and return to heal her. 

Spren: Jessica(not her true name, but she couldn't remember what her name was so Jasper picked a new one for her.) Was caught alone by some worldhopping hemalurgists who spiked out the Gravitation surge from her. She was in extreme pain and feared death. Her captors were preparing more spikes but she escaped by fleeing to the Physical Realm. She was able to draw herself to Jasper despite his loose morals. When she bonded Jasper she grafted his zinc abilities to herself to help heal her. She's not quite an Honorspern anymore and it's profoundly disturbing to her. She also knows that she can't survive loosing the bond with Jasper and is terrified of death. 

*This seems to not work for others. I thought it felt natural, but if others disagree, I don't mind changing it!

What do you'll think? Need help figuring out a resonance. What fuel would he use? Stormlight obviously but would he be able to fuel his abilities with zinc? I feel like it should only be Stormlight. Also I apologize for the long posts.... I can get carried away as character creation is my favorite part:D  

Edited by Steel Inquisitive

I have a question concerning Parshendi/Listener characters. When they switch to a form with a particular expertise, do they have a certain skill level in that ability? Like say, going into Warform gives them a average/skilled level for melee combat, scholarform giving skilled scholarship. How would that work?

3 hours ago, Lord Furret said:

I have a question concerning Parshendi/Listener characters. When they switch to a form with a particular expertise, do they have a certain skill level in that ability? Like say, going into Warform gives them a average/skilled level for melee combat, scholarform giving skilled scholarship. How would that work?

I believe the added points are the cause for the Singer characters having a point value.

20 hours ago, Lord Furret said:

They would not. In the books Parshendi do not gain an inherent skill when they change form. Switching forms makes it easier to do the task by enhancing your physical and mental capacity, but it does not give them the skills to be proficient, which is where the point boost comes from. It’s like if a volleyball player played football (soccer) for the first time. They may have more physical prowess then the average person, but someone who has practiced will likely be better than them.

Edited by Snipexe

I woln't add another character just yet but I have been working on an heir for Avalin/Nila Dracone named NILA 2.0. Basically, she would be a robot powered by a motivator from reconer earth. I can PM anyone who wants specifics but I don't have a lot at the moment. I plan not to introduce her until Era 5 at least.