Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

I was simply curious, as I don't want to stop playing a character because they evolved. Or be forced to add more weaknesses without a rped reason, if you know what I mean.

And what about progress within an era?

Althea spoke her next oath, and she was still calculated with the old system. Do you want to take another look at her?

Edit: only now saw Nohadon's post. So of course I asked no one before the oath? Do you want me to retcon it?

@Nohadon

Edited by Sorana

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

I was simply curious, as I don't want to stop playing a character because they evolved. Or be forced to add more weaknesses without a rped reason, if you know what I mean.

And what about progress within an era?

Althea spoke her next oath, and she was still calculated with the old system. Do you want to take another look at her?

I think we might need to decide on an exception for Knights Radiant, swearing their oaths is a little too integral to who they are and if a thematically appropriate moment arises for them then it's hard to pass up.

Might raise the question again in the mod chat, in the meantime community commentary is obviously welcome. This is more a matter of what we as a community want to accept than a moderation matter, it may lead to some characters experiencing power creep which was a big concern for some at the end of the last era.

Thanks for asking this question, @Sorana, because I was about to ask it! As usual, we're sharing a brain long-distance. :P If I purposely built my character with room to gain powers should I still discuss with a mod beforehand? I'm guessing yes?

While I'm here, any suggestions on something that would make a spy more useful? She's already a Tineye/Firesoul twinborn. Adding brass Allomancy would be a logical possibility but then you'd have to take the compounding points into account. Plus, there could be some super interesting combo I'm not thinking of.  

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

Thanks for asking this question, @Sorana, because I was about to ask it! As usual, we're sharing a brain long-distance. :P If I purposely built my character with room to gain powers should I still discuss with a mod beforehand? I'm guessing yes?

While I'm here, any suggestions on something that would make a spy more useful? She's already a Tineye/Firesoul twinborn. Adding brass Allomancy would be a logical possibility but then you'd have to take the compounding points into account. Plus, there could be some super interesting combo I'm not thinking of.  

If you've got room for points for something that's on the Index then that should be fine, I mean let us know as an FYI so that we can update the character sheet but probably won't need approval. Exception would be things like Nightwatcher Boons/Banes, Epic powers, Alcatraz Talents. Things that are kind of fuzzy and variable basically.

Compounding does add additional points per the Index, from memory I think it adds 100 points, though in some cases we might make exceptions since that's just a generalization.

So what should I do now? I'm sorry, I kind of worked towards that for one and a half eras and the situation with another rioter fighting her was too good to let slide. I never expected to end up in a scene that was as perfect as that one, tbh.

But I'm fine to not use the plate, if it makes it easier. She has no idea how to use it anyway.

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

If you've got room for points for something that's on the Index then that should be fine, I mean let us know as an FYI so that we can update the character sheet but probably won't need approval. Exception would be things like Nightwatcher Boons/Banes, Epic powers, Alcatraz Talents. Things that are kind of fuzzy and variable basically.

Compounding does add additional points per the Index, from memory I think it adds 100 points, though in some cases we might make exceptions since that's just a generalization.

Thanks! I'll give it some thought on whether trying to work through the extra 100 points would be worth it. There's so many other options out there though! Appreciate the answer.

Can you take a look at this for me @Voidus?

8 hours ago, kenod said:

Can someone retire Maxwell and Laplace for me? (can you call it retire when you've never used them?)

Also, can someone score the following ability for me?

Reveal hidden contents

Ability: Presence Manipulation
This ability can make people pay more or less attention to the user, as well as giving them the idea the user is in a different location, as well as give the idea the user/projected presence is someone else.
Hiding their presence works similar to the Grey Men from WoT, With roughly the same level of effectiveness. Its effectiveness varies depending on the sense used to perceive the user though. Hearing or seeing the user doesn't do much, but their smell is still noticed, and can make someone pay more attention to them, though it's generally not enough to break the ability if the user doesn't do anything too suspicious. Direct physical contact will immediately break the ability though, and will make them fully aware of the user. Highly unusual actions, like firing guns or yelling will also seriously weaken the ability. This ability is also a lot less effective on people who were already aware of the user when the ability activated.
Increasing their presence will make people around them focus on them, and draw their attention away from other things. When used with less strength it will simply make people notice them unconsciously, making them stand out more.
Projecting their presence will make people think they are at the projected location instead of their actual location. If the person in question is already aware of the user's location it will only function as a distraction, disorienting the person in question. Also, if they actually see the location the presence is projected to it'll immediately fail as they realize there's nobody there, unless they think there is someone invisible around. An interesting quirk of this is that quickly projecting their presence at different locations close to themselves they can make it harder to know their exact location, disorienting people looking at them and making it harder to hit them with ranged weapons.
Disguising their presence makes people think they're someone else. This ability fails when someone pays actual attention to them though, since actual inspection would show them that it was somebody else. The closer the user looks like the person who's presence they're using the less likely it is for the effect to fail. This ability can also be used in conjunction with projecting their presence, making people think it's someone else who's at the location the presence is projected to.

Notes:

• It is possible for the user to simultaneously hide their presence and project it.
  • Only one presence can be projected at the same time, though the presence can be re-projected at high speeds (about 0.15 seconds).
  • The range for projecting a presence is limited to locations either within sight or within 30 meters with the user aware of the location.
  • The user can sense how much attention people are paying them, and is thus aware of it when someone breaks their ability.
  • If someone breaks their ability only the person in question notices them. Everyone else affected by the ability will still be affected, but the person not affected can tell the others about the user, breaking the ability for them as well.
  • If someone has broken their ability reusing it will still make the ability apply to them again. Generally the ability would break again immediately (creating the disorientation/mirage trick with presence projection by continuously distracting them with new presences) but if the person who broke it didn't really pay any attention to them anyway it can successfully re-apply itself (for example, if someone bumped into the user on the street and ignored them the ability could be applied again).

@Voidus

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

So what should I do now? I'm sorry, I kind of worked towards that for one and a half eras and the situation with another rioter fighting her was too good to let slide. I never expected to end up in a scene that was as perfect as that one, tbh.

But I'm fine to not use the plate, if it makes it easier. She has no idea how to use it anyway.

I'd say this one should be fine, maybe hold off on the plate for the time being, if anyone has any concerns about it then we might need to have a discussion but I guess in the interests of keeping the narrative flowing I'll say conditionally approved for now.

As you say it's been a while in the works so I don't expect any objections to be raised but limiting character strength was a community decision so I also don't want to override that by myself without allowing the opportunity for feedback.

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

Can you take a look at this for me @Voidus?

I'm gonna struggle to place this one on my list :P
Guess I'll slot it in with information manipulation abilities.

Should be somewhere in the region of 60 points, will update if needed when I have access to my home PC.

Out of curiosity, while we're on the subject of power advancement, can Malu swear his Second Oath? Seems like he'd be very in line with being able to do that, with the whole "use his knowledge to help people" thing that's pretty much a staple of Truthwatchers, from what I understand. Also, it's not a very big oath. No Blade, no Plate, just another advancement.

What do y'all think?

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

As you say it's been a while in the works so I don't expect any objections to be raised but limiting character strength was a community decision so I also don't want to override that by myself without allowing the opportunity for feedback.

If you want to, I could rewrite her character sheet, so that it fits Macs new system, with taking the oaths into account and all that. I'm not sure if she's over the cap, if I manage put her weaknesses in one place. I didn't need the points, so I have been a bit lax in that regard, and simply left things as a part of her character and not a specific weakness. (Like panicking when her mind is influenced)

But like I said I don't need the plate. She  has no idea how the use the blade, so I don't really care about the plate either.

4 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

I've been thinking about making a Wolfbrother character who's adept within the Dream, but I don't want him to be all alone. Anyone else wanna have a Wolfbrother/Dreamwalker?

yeah I'm totally down, I've thought about creating a wolfbrother before.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, Dr. Dapper said:

I've been thinking about making a Wolfbrother character who's adept within the Dream, but I don't want him to be all alone. Anyone else wanna have a Wolfbrother/Dreamwalker?

If I didn't already have 5 characters then definitely. Maybe I'll be an NPC wolf for some funs.

17 hours ago, The Forumlurker said:

Could I have a nightwatcher bane scored really quick?

[Name] become less empathetic and loses more morals the more stormlight he drinks in. (Like pre-Calamity epics when completely freaked)

I'd probably adjust this based on the rest of the character but ~-15
It's going to be more or less relevant depending on the character. For example if you're in the Ghostbloods and just being an assassin then being amoral is almost more of a benefit than anything, so it'd only be maybe a -5. If they're an Edgedancer specializing in using Regrowth to heal wounded people then it'd be far more detrimental to the character so rank higher as a weakness.