Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

2 hours ago, kenod said:

I can't really see the issue for either of the two.

1. First of all, Epic abilities that cancel other abilities are already a thing, and it's also canon that Prime Invincibilities are a lot harder to affect.
    Also, while Leachers could probably shut down active abilities (or possibly PIs as well if they flared their metal), it would be temporary, and the abilities would come back again when the Leacher stops, since they don't have the Investure inside their own body, the Investure is continuously pumped in from an external source.
  2. I don't really see why Epic abilities require such a massive amount of Investure. While they'd probably use more than your average Cosmere Invested it probably would only be more by a factor of 3-5. And even if they needed much more Investure, we've got no real idea of how much Investure a shard has, but I think that it's massive enough that even a single shard should not have an issue dealing with it. (Also, what's the issue with a Calamity being a Harmony level Shard?)
  1. That means that a High Epic could, with a leecher with a knife, be killed. Leecher walks up, Leecher touches him. Epic powers deactivated, Leecher stabs Epic and kills him. Done. That's the problem there.
  2. The fact that Calamity could then have destroyed Earth easily, with no need for any of his methods. Also, Calamity is in the physical realm.

1. I think the leecher wouldn't be able to. I don't know what happens when a leecher tries to leech too much, but it probably isn't pretty.
  2. He could have done that anyways, right? Even if not, Shardic powers are often limited. His could be limited to just granting Epic powers. For your second point- his physical form is just an avatar for a much more powerful being. He basically Ascends at the end of Calamity, right?

11 hours ago, Voidus said:

Well it's been lonely in the mod rooms lately

if you've got time could approve my character?

Spoiler

Name: Warden

Physical characteristics: 5'5" 120 lbs; 22 years old; short, brown hair; 

Personality: Constantly afraid of being lost, friendly, determined, protective of other people

Skills: Average with handguns, Genius, average scholar of Epic abilities, skilled at survival stuff like hunting and foraging that type of stuff

Equipment: a handgun, a map of alleycity, a knife

Power: Epic, can create disks of "air" (not really air just the best way to describe it) a foot in diameter and half an inch thick, they are indestructible and unmovable once placed, she can place them anywhere she can see, can have up to 3 at a time, they look like a disk of very thin glass, a tineye could see it if they were looking for it, but most people won't be able to.

Weakness:

Epic: Feeling lost, this will weaken her disks depending on how lost she feels, if she is actually lost she won't be able to create disks. This also applies to feeling lost in conversations and abstract things like that though those don't seriously impact her powers.

Other: she doesn't like being alone, gets nervous if she's alone. Doesn't know how to fight very well.

Family: Parents, Deceased

Home Planet: Reckoners-Earth

Backstory: Warden lived in decently sized but isolated town in Montana, when she was 8 she got lost in a forest for 4 days, and the experience was truamatizing for Warden. a few years later Warden decided that she wouldn't ever get lost in that forest again so she would spend a few hours a day exploring the forest until she became comfortable with it and could spend days at a time in there. When Calamity rose Warden was 15 and spending a multiple day trip in the forest, she went back to her home town only to find it demolished by one of the towns people turned epic. Everyone in the town was dead and the epic had moved on. She spent the next few years working for more powerful epics as a bodyguard, until one day she saw a strange rift in an alleyway, curious she walked closer and got sucked in and dumped in Alleycity.

Guild: Unaffiliated

Fighting Style: protect herself and keep people back with disks and then shoot them 

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

That means that a High Epic could, with a leecher with a knife, be killed. Leecher walks up, Leecher touches him. Epic powers deactivated, Leecher stabs Epic and kills him. Done. That's the problem there.

Canceler Epics already existed.

The fact that Calamity could then have destroyed Earth easily, with no need for any of his methods. Also, Calamity is in the physical realm.

If Calamity wanted to destroy the world with his own power he could have, he has access to every Epics power that's more than enough to destroy the world. And the Reckonerverse doesn't have any other realms so that's the only place he could have been. But unless you want to suggest that in the Alleyverse all Reckonerverse individuals have no cognitive or spiritual components

19 minutes ago, Turtle373 said:

if you've got time could approve my character?

Hide contents

Name: Warden

Physical characteristics: 5'5" 120 lbs; 22 years old; short, brown hair; 

Personality: Constantly afraid of being lost, friendly, determined, protective of other people

Skills: Average with handguns, Genius, average scholar of Epic abilities, skilled at survival stuff like hunting and foraging that type of stuff

Equipment: a handgun, a map of alleycity, a knife

Power: Epic, can create disks of "air" (not really air just the best way to describe it) a foot in diameter and half an inch thick, they are indestructible and unmovable once placed, she can place them anywhere she can see, can have up to 3 at a time, they look like a disk of very thin glass, a tineye could see it if they were looking for it, but most people won't be able to.

Weakness:

Epic: Feeling lost, this will weaken her disks depending on how lost she feels, if she is actually lost she won't be able to create disks. This also applies to feeling lost in conversations and abstract things like that though those don't seriously impact her powers.

Other: she doesn't like being alone, gets nervous if she's alone. Doesn't know how to fight very well.

Family: Parents, Deceased

Home Planet: Reckoners-Earth

Backstory: Warden lived in decently sized but isolated town in Montana, when she was 8 she got lost in a forest for 4 days, and the experience was truamatizing for Warden. a few years later Warden decided that she wouldn't ever get lost in that forest again so she would spend a few hours a day exploring the forest until she became comfortable with it and could spend days at a time in there. When Calamity rose Warden was 15 and spending a multiple day trip in the forest, she went back to her home town only to find it demolished by one of the towns people turned epic. Everyone in the town was dead and the epic had moved on. She spent the next few years working for more powerful epics as a bodyguard, until one day she saw a strange rift in an alleyway, curious she walked closer and got sucked in and dumped in Alleycity.

Guild: Unaffiliated

Fighting Style: protect herself and keep people back with disks and then shoot them 

Indestructible is always a bit of a dangerous proposition, this puts them into High Epic territory. Their other skills come out to 85.

Rating for the Epic powers depends what exactly you mean by indestructible and unmovable, if you mean by any amount of force then that's going to be seriously OP.
Assumption is that you also mean that its position relative to the earths surface in unmovable.

44 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:
  1. I think the leecher wouldn't be able to. I don't know what happens when a leecher tries to leech too much, but it probably isn't pretty.

Plus, could a leecher even leech investiture from an outside source? Like, what would happen if they tried to leech an Elantrian?

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

Indestructible is always a bit of a dangerous proposition, this puts them into High Epic territory. Their other skills come out to 85.

Rating for the Epic powers depends what exactly you mean by indestructible and unmovable, if you mean by any amount of force then that's going to be seriously OP.
Assumption is that you also mean that its position relative to the earths surface in unmovable.

by indestructible I mean non investure sources, Division and Aon Daa and things like that would work, but brute force won't break them, and Shardblades won't pass through

It's unmovable in relation to the earth's surface, and they are completely unmovable, if this is too OP I'll make some edits.

1 hour ago, Kidpen said:

Plus, could a leecher even leech investiture from an outside source? Like, what would happen if they tried to leech an Elantrian?

One managed to drain Nazh's Shade-gun. I think if they tried to Leech an Elantrian it would end up leaving them not-glowy and drain any Aon they were drawing at the time.

The issue with leechers, is that people really overestimate their abilities, in various WoB's brandon implies that you need a lot of chromium to leech most non metallic arts things, like you need so much chromium that it becomes prohibitive to try and leach them because you would need to be chugging chromium.

But there is other things. A man with a larkin, for example. Lots of danger there.

No different than any Invested equivalent.
Gold compounders and Knights Radiant face the same problem.

Plus a Larkin is pretty easy to kill.

23 hours ago, Voidus said:

Canceler Epics already existed.

Whipper is the most powerful canceler that we have seen is Whipper, and it is specifically stated that he couldn't strip prime invincibilities.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, Ark1002 said:
  1. That means that a High Epic could, with a leecher with a knife, be killed. Leecher walks up, Leecher touches him. Epic powers deactivated, Leecher stabs Epic and kills him. Done. That's the problem there.
  2. The fact that Calamity could then have destroyed Earth easily, with no need for any of his methods. Also, Calamity is in the physical realm.
On 5/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, xinoehp512 said:
  2. He could have done that anyways, right? Even if not, Shardic powers are often limited. His could be limited to just granting Epic powers. For your second point- his physical form is just an avatar for a much more powerful being. He basically Ascends at the end of Calamity, right?
  1. A leecher could definitely do that, though they would have to keep their hand on them the entire time, if leechers can strip the prime invincibilities.
  2. True that he could destroy it. Calamity, if you look a Obliteration, Steelheart, Doc, and then you release that this was one small section of north america, and these were some powerful epics, where as calamity still had enough power to absolutely wreck every epic on the planet, and you have enough power to destroy earth, scadrial, and roshar, without breaking a sweat.

9 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Whipper is the most powerful canceler that we have seen is Whipper, and it is specifically stated that he couldn't strip prime invincibilities.

Whipper is the only canceler that we've seen so that's a little disingenuous. It's like using Larcener as a realistic standpoint for Assumer Epics.

Yes, Whipper is the only canceller epic we've seen, but his powerset was completely unknown to Meghan, who admittedly isn't that good of a reference point, but if canceler epics, especially canceler epics who could strip epics of prime invincibilities, would be anything more than a one off super epic who is long dead.

Also, completely unrelated, but do we have proof that assumer epics exist beyond Larcener, because Larcener was actually a giver, taking back his powers?

23 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:
  • A leecher could definitely do that, though they would have to keep their hand on them the entire time, if leechers can strip the prime invincibilities.

As I said above, a leecher would be unlikely to be able to do that, in theory they could but it would take a prodigious amount of chromium in order to actually negate their powers. Metals have so little investiture that it's realistic for a leecher to make them disappear, making someone as invested as an elantrian or an awakener would take a ton of chromium. an Epic is probably about as invested as one of them, so I don't think it's possible for a leecher to leech a high epic of their prime invincibility long enough to have a sustained effect.

19 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Also, completely unrelated, but do we have proof that assumer epics exist beyond Larcener, because Larcener was actually a giver, taking back his powers?

Yes. David mentions how Larcener is different from most assumer epics- "most only rent their powers".

15 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Yes, Whipper is the only canceller epic we've seen, but his powerset was completely unknown to Meghan, who admittedly isn't that good of a reference point, but if canceler epics, especially canceler epics who could strip epics of prime invincibilities, would be anything more than a one off super epic who is long dead.

David has a term for them so there are definitely multiple, Brandon also confirmed that while meta-Epics were rare they did exist in some quantities. Plenty of Epic powers are unknown to Megan, she's not a great point of reference for Epic knowledge beyond her own powers.

16 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Yes, he's called the most powerful, implying that there are others. There is also a specific term for Assumer's in-world much like Gifters/Transference Epics so it can be assumed that there are enough to justify shared terminology for them.

8 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

As I said above, a leecher would be unlikely to be able to do that, in theory they could but it would take a prodigious amount of chromium in order to actually negate their powers. Metals have so little investiture that it's realistic for a leecher to make them disappear, making someone as invested as an elantrian or an awakener would take a ton of chromium. an Epic is probably about as invested as one of them, so I don't think it's possible for a leecher to leech a high epic of their prime invincibility long enough to have a sustained effect.

This is something we should probably talk about at some point yeah, we let Leecher's and Leecher cubes get away with a little too much sometimes. I believe according to Brandon even Leeching a Feruchemist is difficult, Leeching something from another Shardworld altogether would likely be quite difficult. And Leechers have only been shown to leech the metals that someone holds, not their innate Investiture. Leeching a weapon is difficult from Leeching a person, people tend to innately resist Investiture to a degree, the more Invested the person the more they can resist.

14 hours ago, Voidus said:

David has a term for them so there are definitely multiple, Brandon also confirmed that while meta-Epics were rare they did exist in some quantities. Plenty of Epic powers are unknown to Megan, she's not a great point of reference for Epic knowledge beyond her own powers.

Yes, he's called the most powerful, implying that there are others. There is also a specific term for Assumer's in-world much like Gifters/Transference Epics so it can be assumed that there are enough to justify shared terminology for them.

This is something we should probably talk about at some point yeah, we let Leecher's and Leecher cubes get away with a little too much sometimes. I believe according to Brandon even Leeching a Feruchemist is difficult, Leeching something from another Shardworld altogether would likely be quite difficult. And Leechers have only been shown to leech the metals that someone holds, not their innate Investiture. Leeching a weapon is difficult from Leeching a person, people tend to innately resist Investiture to a degree, the more Invested the person the more they can resist.

As I said, in the post you were quoting.

Oh. I haven't read calamity in a while.

I agree.

Can someone retire Maxwell and Laplace for me? (can you call it retire when you've never used them?)

Also, can someone score the following ability for me?

Spoiler

Ability: Presence Manipulation
This ability can make people pay more or less attention to the user, as well as giving them the idea the user is in a different location, as well as give the idea the user/projected presence is someone else.
Hiding their presence works similar to the Grey Men from WoT, With roughly the same level of effectiveness. Its effectiveness varies depending on the sense used to perceive the user though. Hearing or seeing the user doesn't do much, but their smell is still noticed, and can make someone pay more attention to them, though it's generally not enough to break the ability if the user doesn't do anything too suspicious. Direct physical contact will immediately break the ability though, and will make them fully aware of the user. Highly unusual actions, like firing guns or yelling will also seriously weaken the ability. This ability is also a lot less effective on people who were already aware of the user when the ability activated.
Increasing their presence will make people around them focus on them, and draw their attention away from other things. When used with less strength it will simply make people notice them unconsciously, making them stand out more.
Projecting their presence will make people think they are at the projected location instead of their actual location. If the person in question is already aware of the user's location it will only function as a distraction, disorienting the person in question. Also, if they actually see the location the presence is projected to it'll immediately fail as they realize there's nobody there, unless they think there is someone invisible around. An interesting quirk of this is that quickly projecting their presence at different locations close to themselves they can make it harder to know their exact location, disorienting people looking at them and making it harder to hit them with ranged weapons.
Disguising their presence makes people think they're someone else. This ability fails when someone pays actual attention to them though, since actual inspection would show them that it was somebody else. The closer the user looks like the person who's presence they're using the less likely it is for the effect to fail. This ability can also be used in conjunction with projecting their presence, making people think it's someone else who's at the location the presence is projected to.

Notes:

• It is possible for the user to simultaneously hide their presence and project it.
  • Only one presence can be projected at the same time, though the presence can be re-projected at high speeds (about 0.15 seconds).
  • The range for projecting a presence is limited to locations either within sight or within 30 meters with the user aware of the location.
  • The user can sense how much attention people are paying them, and is thus aware of it when someone breaks their ability.
  • If someone breaks their ability only the person in question notices them. Everyone else affected by the ability will still be affected, but the person not affected can tell the others about the user, breaking the ability for them as well.
  • If someone has broken their ability reusing it will still make the ability apply to them again. Generally the ability would break again immediately (creating the disorientation/mirage trick with presence projection by continuously distracting them with new presences) but if the person who broke it didn't really pay any attention to them anyway it can successfully re-apply itself (for example, if someone bumped into the user on the street and ignored them the ability could be applied again).

@Voidus

Just now, Gancho Libre said:

That's awesome!

Thanks. It's kind of weird one though, I want to create an ex-assassin character, and I needed a fitting power-set that isn't either instakill stuff or big explosions. My other idea was a character that could see a bit into the future, but could only see them of when something would have killed or seriously injured them, but that ability would be a pain to rp with.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Thanks. It's kind of weird one though, I want to create an ex-assassin character, and I needed a fitting power-set that isn't either instakill stuff or big explosions. My other idea was a character that could see a bit into the future, but could only see them of when something would have killed or seriously injured them, but that ability would be a pain to rp with.

That would also be cool, but as you said, it would be hard.

And I think what you got works really well for your purpose. Now, I'll wait for a mod to approve or disapprove it, but it gets the Gancho stamp of approval! :)

Just now, Sorana said:

Did anybody give this a thought?

I actually brought this up in the moderator PM earlier and we decided that it would be a case by case basis. When someone wants to progress their character, they should PM a moderator and we'll see if it should happen or not, factoring things like amount of development a character has gone through, the plausibility of it happening and the RP mechanics it can introduce. As a gauge, something like increasing your fighting skills at the training grounds would be much more likely to be allowed but swearing three oaths in the middle of a fight might require a little more... convincing to allow.

5 minutes ago, Sorana said:

We never really discussed how we'll handle characters that grow during an era, gain skills due to training/ a spike/ an oath/ ...

Did anybody give this a thought?

Official answer was that if it would push them over the limits of power level that we'd ask for community approval before approving it, we did discuss this in the mod PM and said that we'd deal with it case-by-case as well.

There's definitely room for that to be adjusted though, off the cuff suggestion would be that maybe we allocate a certain number of points to characters each era which they can use to gain equipment, skills, oaths, etc.

I wouldn't want to do a blanket approval because it might be abused and kind of defeats the purpose of scoring in the first place, but if we place an upper limit it could work.

EDIT: Ninja'd