Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Is there a specific person to ask about rating Nightwatcher things like there is for Epics, or should I just leave it here and allow it to be more open-ended?

The mods will look at, and we can give you rough ratings on the powers.

Night watcher things are easier to look at in the context of a character though, because there is often synergy between weakness and or powers and nightwatcher stuff.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

The mods will look at, and we can give you rough ratings on the powers.

Night watcher things are easier to look at in the context of a character though, because there is often synergy between weakness and or powers and nightwatcher stuff.

Alright fair, thanks.

2 hours ago, beantheboy12 said:

*sighs* No characters to score? 

Mac, you're too fast.

Oh you want a character to score? I'll give you a character to score.

Spoiler

Name: Stravomenos Synais

Physical Characteristics: Depends on his emotional state and severity, but generally a golden-haired, jolly, bearded man, standing 6'1" in his normal form.

Investiture: A Nightwatcher combo: his boon is to be able to put things in the right places they'll need to be in. His curse is that his body warps with his emotional spikes, the severity depending on the deepness of the emotion and the form the warping takes depends on the emotion/emotional combo. It can even interfere with him doing stuff and his way of thinking.

Skills: Scholarship (Skilled), Staff training (Average)

Equipment: Titanium staff

Weakness: The Nightwatcher's curse

Family: None. They died during the first passing of the Everstorm.

Home Planet: Roshar

Backstory: Stravomenos has always valued being honest, even if he likes to tell jokes, so when he hopped a boat that passed by the valley where the Nightwatcher was supposed to be placed, granting the gifts of Old Magic to those who made it to her, he hopped off to go try his luck. He asked for the boon of being able to look the way he felt. Unfortunately, the Nightwatcher made it his curse instead, his body mutating to match his emotions, giving him the boon of being able to put things in a place they'll need to be.

Guild: None

Personality: Tries to be very stoic to prevent unecessary warping, even if he likes to tell jokes. It doesn't always work. Very hard on himself for what he sees as his failures, including visiting the Nightwatcher.

Theme Song: Heidevolk - A Wolf In My Heart

Fighting Style: Using whatever he has at hand, plus his staff, to pummel opponents.

16 hours ago, Invocation said:

Sorry for the double, here, but out of curiosity, would an Assumer Epic be able to take Investiture-based powers as well?

@Voidus You're the resident Epic expert, got an opinion?

Oh god. That could be... holy crap.

On 29/04/2019 at 2:46 PM, Invocation said:

Oh you want a character to score? I'll give you a character to score.

Hide contents

Name: Stravomenos Synais

Physical Characteristics: Depends on his emotional state and severity, but generally a golden-haired, jolly, bearded man, standing 6'1" in his normal form.

Investiture: A Nightwatcher combo: his boon is to be able to put things in the right places they'll need to be in. His curse is that his body warps with his emotional spikes, the severity depending on the deepness of the emotion and the form the warping takes depends on the emotion/emotional combo. It can even interfere with him doing stuff and his way of thinking.

Skills: Scholarship (Skilled), Staff training (Average)

Equipment: Titanium staff

Weakness: The Nightwatcher's curse

Family: None. They died during the first passing of the Everstorm.

Home Planet: Roshar

Backstory: Stravomenos has always valued being honest, even if he likes to tell jokes, so when he hopped a boat that passed by the valley where the Nightwatcher was supposed to be placed, granting the gifts of Old Magic to those who made it to her, he hopped off to go try his luck. He asked for the boon of being able to look the way he felt. Unfortunately, the Nightwatcher made it his curse instead, his body mutating to match his emotions, giving him the boon of being able to put things in a place they'll need to be.

Guild: None

Personality: Tries to be very stoic to prevent unecessary warping, even if he likes to tell jokes. It doesn't always work. Very hard on himself for what he sees as his failures, including visiting the Nightwatcher.

Theme Song: Heidevolk - A Wolf In My Heart

Fighting Style: Using whatever he has at hand, plus his staff, to pummel opponents.

Boon is a little generic to be able to score, will need some examples and upper limits. What determines where something needs to be? Is this magical or mechanical in nature? (Could he teleport something to where it needs to be or does this just help him physically place it there?)

23 hours ago, Invocation said:

Sorry for the double, here, but out of curiosity, would an Assumer Epic be able to take Investiture-based powers as well?

@Voidus You're the resident Epic expert, got an opinion?

Yes they would, which is why you're unlikely to be able to get one approved :P

4 hours ago, Voidus said:

Boon is a little generic to be able to score, will need some examples and upper limits. What determines where something needs to be? Is this magical or mechanical in nature? (Could he teleport something to where it needs to be or does this just help him physically place it there?)

You just gave me an amazing idea.

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

I wasn't asking that to be able to submit one, I was just curious because I had a horrifying thought about a deific assumer running around, negation people's powers and throwing them back. Bad news for anyone not on their side.

4 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

You just gave me an amazing idea.

But perhaps I should not have mentioned it, this potential scares me a little bit in Mac(the person)'s hands.

He'll drop something and someone will need it there in the future and they'll find it right when they need to find it. No teleportation, just luck. Sometimes he'll get a feeling he needs to drop a certain thing in a certain place, but most of the time the stuff just falls out of his hands or pockets.

Edited by Invocation

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

He'll drop something and someone will need it there in the future and they'll find it right when they need to find it. No teleportation, just luck. Sometimes he'll get a feeling he needs to drop a certain thing in a certain place, but most of the time the stuff just falls out of his hands or pockets.

I'm really torn on this, it's almost Chromium compounding for other people but limited to a specific item. Could make for some really interesting writing for other people to try to justify what gets left behind. But also really potentially OP and not just for you but for others.

Might talk to the other mods about this, but i really love the idea.

11 hours ago, Voidus said:

I'm really torn on this, it's almost Chromium compounding for other people but limited to a specific item. Could make for some really interesting writing for other people to try to justify what gets left behind. But also really potentially OP and not just for you but for others.

Might talk to the other mods about this, but i really love the idea.

I await the Character Council's decision. 

I think we should revisit the divide on Investiture and Epic powers. I mean, this isn't a serious issue for me, but it seems like we have time, so I would like to clarify the relationship. Is Epic power treated as another form of investiture, or is it treated as if it can be affected by it? If it is treated as a form of investiture, where does the power come from? If it can be affected by it, how? To what extent?

12 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

I think we should revisit the divide on Investiture and Epic powers. I mean, this isn't a serious issue for me, but it seems like we have time, so I would like to clarify the relationship. Is Epic power treated as another form of investiture, or is it treated as if it can be affected by it? If it is treated as a form of investiture, where does the power come from? If it can be affected by it, how? To what extent?

I guess the easiest would be to treat Calamity as a Shard, with every Epic having Connection to him to supply the Investure, as well as shaping it for every specific Epic. Either that or being given powers by calamity modifies your Spiritweb, with Calamity just supplying Investure, not shaping it. Gifting could work by the Gifter creating a temporary Connection between them and the person that they're gifting powers to, allowing part of the Investure to flow to them. Assumers could work the other way, creating a Connection that allows them to steal the Investure instead.

Of course, I'm probably missing a lot here, and I'm not an expert on Epic powers. It's probably best to just ask @Voidus.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Invocation said:

I await the Character Council's decision. 

Well it's been lonely in the mod rooms lately so I guess it'll have to be executive decision for now. Will approve this for now but with the possibility that this will need to be removed if people start abusing it.
Skills come out to 65
Weakness is a little hard to judge but I'd say a -10
Magic could really be anything, I have no easy way to score this one so I'll ballpark it at around 80 for now and say it's conditionally approved.

4 hours ago, kenod said:

I guess the easiest would be to treat Calamity as a Shard, with every Epic having Connection to him to supply the Investure, as well as shaping it for every specific Epic. Either that or being given powers by calamity modifies your Spiritweb, with Calamity just supplying Investure, not shaping it. Gifting could work by the Gifter creating a temporary Connection between them and the person that they're gifting powers to, allowing part of the Investure to flow to them. Assumers could work the other way, creating a Connection that allows them to steal the Investure instead.

Of course, I'm probably missing a lot here, and I'm not an expert on Epic powers. It's probably best to just ask @Voidus.

Well really the answer is 'It makes things easier to RP so we don't have two unconnected powersets that are kind of broken' having Epics not have any Investiture at all would mean they also don't have any inherent resistance to Investiture like other Invested beings do and in reverse Invested beings not being able to resist certain Epic abilities is equally problematic.
But this is a pretty good explanation, personally my headcanon and somewhat justified by things such as Epic spikes is that Calamity alters your spiritweb and otherwise acts as the source of the powers much like the Dor does.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Well really the answer is 'It makes things easier to RP so we don't have two unconnected powersets that are kind of broken' having Epics not have any Investiture at all would mean they also don't have any inherent resistance to Investiture like other Invested beings do and in reverse Invested beings not being able to resist certain Epic abilities is equally problematic.
But this is a pretty good explanation, personally my headcanon and somewhat justified by things such as Epic spikes is that Calamity alters your spiritweb and otherwise acts as the source of the powers much like the Dor does.

The problem's with that:

1. It makes the most powerful of epics weak to something like a leecher.
  2. Epic powers would take up incredibly massive amounts of investiture, making, by that logic, Calamity a Harmony level invested

3 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

The problem's with that:

1. It makes the most powerful of epics weak to something like a leecher.
  2. Epic powers would take up incredibly massive amounts of investiture, making, by that logic, Calamity a Harmony level invested

I can't really see the issue for either of the two.

1. First of all, Epic abilities that cancel other abilities are already a thing, and it's also canon that Prime Invincibilities are a lot harder to affect.
    Also, while Leachers could probably shut down active abilities (or possibly PIs as well if they flared their metal), it would be temporary, and the abilities would come back again when the Leacher stops, since they don't have the Investure inside their own body, the Investure is continuously pumped in from an external source.
  2. I don't really see why Epic abilities require such a massive amount of Investure. While they'd probably use more than your average Cosmere Invested it probably would only be more by a factor of 3-5. And even if they needed much more Investure, we've got no real idea of how much Investure a shard has, but I think that it's massive enough that even a single shard should not have an issue dealing with it. (Also, what's the issue with a Calamity being a Harmony level Shard?)

Well it's been lonely in the mod rooms lately so I guess it'll have to be executive decision for now. Will approve this for now but with the possibility that this will need to be removed if people start abusing it.
Skills come out to 65
Weakness is a little hard to judge but I'd say a -10
Magic could really be anything, I have no easy way to score this one so I'll ballpark it at around 80 for now and say it's conditionally approved.

I'll do my best to prevent him from being abused. Thanks for the approval!