Gods Above Adonalsium

ok this is gonna sound insane, but I think the big twist of the cosmere is that there are beings similar or even above adonalsium, or even adonalsium was just one aspect of a larger god.

If you think about it, it does follow the theme of Gods above Gods that you find in the cosmere.

Edit: I have actually found more concrete evidence while looking at the coppermind. There is a mention of the "God beyond" , mentioned by different characters over multiple shardworlds.

Edited by The Elemental Shard
More information

It is all together possible that Adonalsium was just one of a class of god his death does largely disprove the idea that he is a capital G god and their is no reason that anything below that is not replicate by some means.

Eh. Personally, while I don't think that it's unthinkable that there are other Adonalsium like beings... I think they would exist outside if the scope of the Cosmere if at all. 

Billy Todd [PENDING REVIEW]

How closely does Adonalsium map to the gnostic demiurge?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

A little bit.

So, not completely? I'm not completely off?

That's not off at all. 

So, not the urge, but the demiurge. 

Oh, well I'll have to go read to make sure what I'm talking about then. Your answer is: I will go read and make sure I know. I thought I knew what I was talking about.

So, there's the creator, which is the urge, which is the creator of the Universe. *large hand gesture* The demiurge is actually God. The demiurge is the one that creates [its] universe, *small hand gesture inside larger gesture* and entities living within the universe need knowledge of that which is beyond what the demiurge has created.

Okay, that matches pretty well.

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)

Adonalsium is the equivalent of the creator of the physical (and probably Cognitive even if as a byproduct) universe. 

That doesn't remove the possibility of something greater, but if that exists it would most likely be the God Beyond, which we've explicitly told is something we'll never have confirmed or debunked. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

After people die, in this universe, where do they go? Because, at first they appear in the <?>, and then they go somewhere else.

One of the things that's very important to me as a writer, when I am writing stories, is when we get to these kind of fundamental questions about faith and religion and things like this, that the narrative is allowing multiple characters' viewpoints to be plausibly true, if this makes sense. For instance, I am not gonna come out and say, "Is there a capital-G God of the cosmere, is there an afterlife?" These are not questions I'm gonna answer, because in-world, they can't answer them. What they can say is, your Investiture will leave what we call a Cognitive Shadow, which is an imprint of your personality that can do certain things. And that most of those fade away, and you can see them, glimpse them, and then watch them go. But, are they going somewhere? Or are they not? Is that simply the Investiture being reclaimed, Is it more of a Buddhist thought, where your soul is getting recycled and used again? Is it nothing, you return to, you know, being... yeah, is it a different type of matter? Or is there a Beyond, is there a capital-G God? These questions are not answered. I'm never gonna answer those.

Now, the characters will try to answer them. But it's important to me that both Dalinar and Jasnah can exist in the same universe, and that the story is not saying "This one is right, and this one is wrong." The story is saying "This is how this one sees the world; this is how this one sees the world." It's very important to me from the beginning to do that, just because... Like, I hate reading a book where someone espouses my viewpoint only to get proven wrong by the entire structure of the narrative, and in that universe, that person is wrong. But I'm like, "In our universe, I don't think that I am. Just the way you constructed everything makes it so that I have to be wrong, if I were living in your universe, even if it's not a sci-fi/fantasy one." If that makes sense.

This is just kind of for respecting my characters and for the people who hold the viewpoints of my characters, in particular if they happen to be different from my own viewpoints. I feel there are certain lines I'm not gonna cross.

So, the answer is: who do you believe? Which of the philosophies in the books do you look at and say "Yeah!" Or, even better: listen to lots of different ones, and maybe these different viewpoints are all gonna have interesting points that'll things to think upon.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

So Honestly... With the story of the Cosmere beginning with Dragonsteel, the story if the events leading up to the Shattering, I don't believe that we will ever see a godlike being that is not one of the Shards or Adonalsium itself... Or possibly some reconstituted weird parallel to it. 

What @Calderis said. While there's the possibility of some 'higher' God in the Cosmere or the wider universe that it's a part of, it's not something that would be relevant to the story or something Brandon would want to canonize, for the same reason that he leaves the nature of the Beyond up to the individual reader.

I’d prefer that doesn’t happen. We may have the God Beyond, but other than that, I doubt we’ll have more. Having gods higher than Adonalsium would take a lot more explaining, especially if it’s split into orders or they have some sort of a caste system.

4 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Or rather, is there a community of other Adonalsium-like beings? 

That would be a pretty big thing to introduce. I think Brandon’s just gonna stick with the Shards being the almighty power.

Just now, ZenBossanova said:

Not necessarily. Always leave them wanting more. 

I guess. By the time Brandon finishes Mistborn Era 4, however, he’ll likely be nearing the end of his life. He’ll be done with the Cosmere, and that’s it.

Unless he gets another author to write about those new gods, I doubt we’ll see any glimpse of something like that.

Has there been any foreshadowing so far that such a thing is possible anyway? It seems like something you would need to plant the seeds for very far in advance.

47 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

Has there been any foreshadowing so far that such a thing is possible anyway? It seems like something you would need to plant the seeds for very far in advance.

There's always another secret.  :D 

Dragons were one of the three sapient species we know existed (exists?) on Yolen. 

Most notably, they seem to have been a Physical race. A Shard is so invested that they can choose to manifest Physical forn, but they don't inherently have one anymore. They have transcended the need for that 

While the Shape-shifting capability could possibly mean they are inherently invested to the point that their Physical form is malleable... We've seen other shapeshifters. There's no way I can believe a Physical being is approaching the level of a Shard, let alone Adonalsium. 

Needless to say, other than the things we've been told about dragons (functionally immortal, can take human form) anything at all to do with dragons is speculation. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Needless to say, other than the things we've been told about dragons (functionally immortal, can take human form) anything at all to do with dragons is speculation. 

Also we can't take for granted that they have always been functionally immortal or if that is a part of the shattering. From Hoid's letter he states

Old friend, I hope this missive finds you well. Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given.

The use of  "as you are now" makes the immortality sound like a newer development.