Jasnah, More than Meets the Eye

Pathfinder

The fake spellcaster spammers show up now and then, usually in waves. This one has been...dealt with.

Edited To Add: @Karger - I hope you don't mind, I edited out the contact info from the quote you included. I'd rather not risk some poor gullible lurker giving it a try and getting fleeced. :)

7 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

- I hope you don't mind, I edited out the contact info from the quote you included. I'd rather not risk some poor gullible lurker giving it a try and getting fleeced. :)

No problem.  100% agree.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was looking for another WoB, and I stumbled across this one. I felt the need to add it, because it shows Jasnah's aim is for equality for all. 

Questioner

In world, would an in-world reader of Jasnah’s book, would an in world person consider that she is also advocating for gender equality for men?

Brandon Sanderson

In-world? Jasnah would, but I don’t think most people who read it would.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

@Pathfinder seems fairly true of femininism in general.

Equality is generally viewed negatively by those who are comfortable with an unequal system. 

People tend to view feminism as misandry because of that, and a few vocal bad actors. I think that's the situation Jasnah would be in. Pitching for Equality and painted as a misandrist. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

@Pathfinder seems fairly true of femininism in general.

Equality is generally viewed negatively by those who are comfortable with an unequal system. 

People tend to view feminism as misandry because of that, and a few vocal bad actors. I think that's the situation Jasnah would be in. Pitching for Equality and painted as a misandrist. 

Agree with every single word, which is why I thought it necessary to post the WoB. That those in world would paint her one way when the reality and intention was another. 

Agreed.  And it makes sense given the in-world misunderstandings and preconceptions Jasnah faces.  Jasnah's public face is generally perceived as riding the line between extreme competence and outright arrogance, so it would not surprise me that folks would read a message of Equality from her and see that vague disdain as misandry rather than something I think is more rooted in general disgust for the whole system.  

My opinion of Jasnah as a character has changed fairly significantly across the three books.

Post WoK - I basically didn't care about her at all, but that's because I found the Shallan chapters so boring compared to the rest of the book.  It was hard for me to get excited about anything relating to that plot line.

Post WoR - Shallan became great, but Jasnah was dead.  Except not really, and I think it was obvious to most readers that she would be back.  (Missing body etc.)  So after WoR I essentially had no view of her at all.  Her name would be brought up by another character after 'dying' and I essentially thought 'right, she's coming back.'  But I still didn't have any attachment or feelings, good or bad.

Post OB - And then she went Super Saiyan.  But more so than any other scene, it was the almost killing Renarin scene that really made her a full fledged character in my mind.  That decision and Ivory/Renarin's subsequent remarks really hammered home just who Jasnah is.  Personally, my favorite part of her character is the devotion she has to her family, and I want to see more of her from that perspective.  Scholar Jasnah, Super Saiyan Jasnah and Queen Jasnah are all nice, but 'Touch My Family and I Will Balefire You' Jasnah strikes a cord with me.

• Chaos locked this topic