Book 4 Predictions

Inky

On 3/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, Inky said:

- Kaladin and Dalinar get Shardplate

23 hours ago, LerasiumMistborn said:

I think Dalinar can't have a Shardplate.

23 hours ago, Inky said:

He's Third Oath so I mean naturally he'll probably get it eventually. Unless the Stormfather is anti-plate like he is anti-blade

20 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I think Dalinar WILL get Plate, he manifested some weird glowy geometric stuff during the vision with Venli, which I think is proto-Plate.

We have already seen Dalinar use his Plate on screen or at least the beginning of him using Plate. In the vision that Dalinar brought Venli into after Odium starts to unravel the world Dalinar forms plate around his arm and uses it to pull himself up a rock.

He fell beside the hole's perimeter, and stretched one hand toward Venli. His other ground against the rock wall, hand scraping the stone. Something flashed around his arm. Lines of light, a framework that covered his body. His fingers didn't bleed as they scraped the stone.

Pg 1028 hardcover

For that matter, we have seen Jasnah and Shallan's plate as well.

Edited by The Sovereign

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think Sanderson plans to explore the problems that occur within marriage here. Sanderson's expressed annoyance with the idea that character (mostly superheroes but characters in general) never get married until the end, and if there's more they never stay married because the writers didn't know how to show the couple overcoming obstacles together. So if I was a betting man, I'd bet that this is the next challenge Adolin will have.

I can only remember two instances where Adolin actually lost his temper: the first when yelling at Dalinar about his visions in public (anger born out of worry). The second his murder of Sadeas (which wasn't exactly unprovoked, give Sadeas had tried to murder them, betrayed them, gotten thousands of their men killed, attempted to undermine and humiliate them, and admitted to Adoline he'd do it again, and again, and again). 

Maybe you count his talks with Ialai, but again, not entirely sure.

Only ringing in on these two points. 

First, technically you could say Dalinar and Navani are already doing that and will continue to do so. Dalinar has powers, and when he regained his memories he backslid into alcoholism. Navani was upset but supported him at the same time. Dalinar did his thing with Odium and the Thrill while Navani was organizing people, and using her fabrials to help in Thayla. So definitely a married couple. Definitely having powers. Definitely running into relationship problems, and definitely overcoming obstacles together. 

Second, Adolin wants to pull a blade on Sadeas at the beginning of Way of Kings for insulting Dalinar. Renarin stops him. Adolin then again wants to pull a blade on Sadeas for insulting Renarin. Dalinar stops him. Then again Adolin wants to pull a blade on Sadeas at the wine place with Shallan. I believe Shallan stops him that time. I can check but I believe there were two or three more instances in Way of Kings alone. Honestly I think Adolin killing Sadeas at the end of Words of Radiance was primarily because there was no one there to actively convince him not to or try to stop him. Not commenting on the morality, nor whether Adolin is good or bad for doing it. Just adding some info and additional accuracy. I do not have a dog in this fight. 

Edited by Pathfinder

With regard to Adolin and Shallan having limited interests in common, that's a consequence of their society and it's strict disparate gender roles, rather than an inherent issue with their relationship. And Adolin has been shown to be very enthusiastic about Shallan's drawings.  And they do spend time together chatting and things, and they get along very well during those times.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

First, technically you could say Dalinar and Navani are already doing that and will continue to do so. Dalinar has powers, and when he regained his memories he backslid into alcoholism. Navani was upset but supported him at the same time. Dalinar did his thing with Odium and the Thrill while Navani was organizing people, and using her fabrials to help in Thayla. So definitely a married couple. Definitely having powers. Definitely running into relationship problems, and definitely overcoming obstacles together. 

Second, Adolin wants to pull a blade on Sadeas at the beginning of Way of Kings for insulting Dalinar. Renarin stops him. Adolin then again wants to pull a blade on Sadeas for insulting Renarin. Dalinar stops him. Then again Adolin wants to pull a blade on Sadeas at the wine place with Shallan. I believe Shallan stops him that time. I can check but I believe there were two or three more instances in Way of Kings alone. Honestly I think Adolin killing Sadeas at the end of Words of Radiance was primarily because there was no one there to actively convince him not to or try to stop him. Not commenting on the morality, nor whether Adolin is good or bad for doing it. Just adding some info and additional accuracy. I do not have a dog in this fight. 

Amaram gets between them at the big meeting of high princes after Szeth's failed assassination attempt as well. 

My first reread of tWoK after WoR I was like "oh yeah, he's been wanting to do that this whole time"

I have a thought of which direction Venli's story is going to progress. I think she's going to start spending a lot of time in Shadesmar. As of this point in the story, the Radiants have a bit of a problem in regards to the spren. Most spren still don't trust the Radiants since the Recreance. Some even outright hate them like Spark. For the Radiant orders to grow however, a lot more spren will have to come around. So I think Venli and Timbre are in a position to become sort of Spren Ambassadors. She is a compelling orator, and is already working through her own prejudices and history regarding humans, which is something she has in common with the spren. And as a Willshaper, she can also pass freely into Shadesmar without a perpendicularity. 

I initially thought she might have kind of an undercover role in Marat because of what's going on in her gemheart. While I can see that happening for a little while, Venli doesn't seem cut out for the spy stuff to me. So I think her arc will eventually involve her getting "found out" by the Fused, and then she'll escape by slipping into Shadesmar. I think she'll start by convincing Timbre that there's something different about Dalanar and his Post-Honor Radiants, and then it'll go from there.

53 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

With regard to Adolin and Shallan having limited interests in common, that's a consequence of their society and it's strict disparate gender roles, rather than an inherent issue with their relationship. And Adolin has been shown to be very enthusiastic about Shallan's drawings.  And they do spend time together chatting and things, and they get along very well during those times.

Didn't stop Kaladin, who also is male and grew up in the same society. Societal predispositions are an excuse, but no reason. Well, for someone not as vain as Adolin it would only be an excuse.

He saw them once and told her, that they were very good. Apparently that counts as enthusiasm now. And people call me overstating.

And I'm not talking about "getting along", but finding common interests.

4 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Didn't stop Kaladin, who also is male and grew up in the same society. Societal predispositions are an excuse, but no reason. Well, for someone not as vain as Adolin it would only be an excuse.

He saw them once and told her, that they were very good. Apparently that counts as enthusiasm now. And people call me overstating.

And I'm not talking about "getting along", but finding common interests.

Kaladin doesn't share any interests with Shallan, other than being sarcastic. They have even less in common than Shallan and Adolin.

And Adolin isn't vain about anything other than clothing. With regard to everything except clothes and dueling (which he's justifiably proud of) he's inclined to downplay himself.

Edited by CrazyRioter

1 minute ago, CrazyRioter said:

Kaladin doesn't share any interests with Shallan, other than being sarcastic.

How about an interest for science and logical deduction? The strata reading comes to mind.

Book Four prediction:  Kaladin, Shallan, and Adoline will all not appear in the book.  At all.  Because by then we'll have all gotten entirely too tired of hearing about them.  So the book will focus on the budding romance between Szeth and... I dunno...Dreyh? Lyn? Somebody he can go flying with (with an Aladdin soundtrack playing in the background).  There might be some mention of that whole "Final Desolation" thing and the creepy guy with the scepter, but only in the background.

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Fair point on Dalinar and Navani. I'd count them as a little different, since they've already worked through most of their relationship issues - the problems they face are mostly outside of their marriage (and societal norms/customs), but fair point! 

And thanks for fact checking me on Adolin and Sadeas! While maybe discounting my idea about Sadeas being the main aggressor, it does validate the idea that Adolin and Sadeas' conflict has been an ongoing arc, and will continue to be so. 

Random speculation: Venli will meet up with the Listeners who refused Stormform and then escaped. They will be the other Willshapers (and possibly Rlain).

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there anything you can tell us about where the Listeners are? From Narak, after they...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. They are still kind of in the area. They have made their way out through the chasms, out onto some floodplains on the other side.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

Edited by The Sovereign

1 hour ago, The Sovereign said:

Random speculation: Venli will meet up with the Listeners who refused Stormform and then escaped. They will be the other Willshapers (and possibly Rlain).

I don't think that that group is going to be homogeneous enough in personality to all be Willshapers (or any group any particular order). 

And I think the survivors of Narak are why Rlain disappeared. Halfway through OB 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Fair point on Dalinar and Navani. I'd count them as a little different, since they've already worked through most of their relationship issues - the problems they face are mostly outside of their marriage (and societal norms/customs), but fair point! 

And thanks for fact checking me on Adolin and Sadeas! While maybe discounting my idea about Sadeas being the main aggressor, it does validate the idea that Adolin and Sadeas' conflict has been an ongoing arc, and will continue to be so. 

No problemo. I just wanted to add one more thing to clarify. I did not mean to post about Adolin and Sadeas to discount your theory about Sadeas being the main aggressor. I had meant it towards your response to another poster about Adolin losing his temper. You said you only recalled it happening about twice. I meant to only add the other times Adolin had lost his temper, or nearly did so but was stopped by someone present. Was not my intention to refute anyone's theories. i wish you luck with your theories!

20 minutes ago, Inky said:

How can a gas giant = gem? Unless the dimaonds that tend to rain on gas giants is what you mean 

Ok, so there is a possibility that a large planet could have a crystalline core.

So we have a possible large gem at the center of a gas giant. It seems like a bit of a stretch but I think it would be a cool idea.  

7 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

According to this logic, no marriage on Roshar can be successful, because males and females share different social roles.

Adolin is very enthusiastic about her drawings because he asked her to show them and said they are good? Well, then she can marry almost any man or woman on Roshar, because everyone thinks they are good and also I think a lot of people would ask her to show them. Kaladin and Jasnah did too, so Shalladojasnahdin confirmed?

They spend time together chatting because they are storming betrothed. She also has another interests in getting closer to him - she needs to get to Navani in WoR to find Urithiru, she needs to protect her brothers. And despite them spending loads of time together chatting, Adolin still fails to comfort her any other ways than by physical contact - hugging, rubbing her shoulders or whatever. Physical contact calms almost everyone. My colleague rubs my shoulders sometimes just because she likes and wants to do it, and it is very comforting, but it doesn't mean I'm in love with her (I'm a straight woman). Kaladin, however, doesn't have an access to Shallan's body like Adolin does, but still manages to find the right words or smile, when she needs them, as we can see after her failed palace infiltration attempt. They have 3 (three!) dialogues in OB in total. Two of them are good in whole, and the third one started with mutual discussion of spren and Shallan's theories about them (Adolin just skipped her spren drawings in her sketchpad and went straight to her drawings of people and surely himself), and Shallan went excited during that part. Then they went to a pun exchange, which made them both feel better and shown, that that's another thing they have in common - they love wordplay. And only then, yes, they started discussing their mental problems, and that went wrong. But you, people, just take this last part and prefer to ignore everything else, but for Adolin you are ready to even imagine things, just to make him "be good for her". But I agree, he is good for her. She has learn on a negative pattern first.

And about "Adolin is downplaying himself. Is it how he is downplaying himself?

“What is she doing here?” Kaladin asked.

“Come to watch me while I spar, presumably,” Adolin said. “I usually have to kick them out.”

“Them?”

“You know. Girls who want to gawk at me while I fight. I wouldn’t mind, but if we allowed it, they’d clog the entire grounds every time I came. Nobody would be able to get any sparring done.”

Or maybe this?

“I suppose,” Adolin said. “There was one run a few months back where I seized the chrysalis basically by myself. You see, Father and I, we would usually jump the chasm first and clear the way for the bridges.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Shallan asked, dutifully looking at him with widened eyes.

“Yes, but we’re Shardbearers. We have strength and power granted by the Almighty. It’s a great responsibility, and it’s our duty to use it for the protection of our men. We save hundreds of lives by going across first. Lets us lead the army, firsthand.”

Or this?

“That was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever done,” Adolin said. “Oh, wow… Ha! I think I just won three full suits of Plate and two Blades, bridgeboy. Here, help me get this armor off.”

Or this?

“We’ll see,” Dalinar said. “This is only one part of what we will do, the smaller part—but also the most visible part. Adolin, everyone tells me how good you are at dueling, and you have pestered me incessantly to relax my prohibition. There are thirty Shardbearers in the army, not counting our own. Can you defeat that many men?”

“Can I?” Adolin said, grinning. “I’ll do it without breaking a sweat, so long as I can start with Sadeas himself.”

Nah. He only starts "downplaying himself" when he sees that "storming bridgeboy" has earned Radiance and proved himself a hero multile times, and poor little Adolin didn't get his piece of pie.

So you've fallen for the same mask he puts forward as everyone in world. 

There's a reason that he gets Shallan. He hides too. 

Edit: to clarify. Adolin doesn't shift gears and drop the bravado because of rising jealousy... It happens well before that should even be on his radar. 

Adolin drops that act, both with Shallan (after their conversation about bowel movements in plate) and Kaladin (after the duel) when he's allowed them to get inside. Once they become people who he doesn't have to play the role of what's expected. 

Or, simply put, When he actually starts letting them get to know him. 

Edited by Calderis

Right. Adolin's had so many expectations placed on him since he was young, that he's learned to act the part they expect from him. Especially Dalinar. Which is why he never drops the act with Dalinar, until it finally cracks at the end of Oathbringer.

That's also why he likes drinking with Skar and Drehy, I think, because he doesn't have to keep up the act with them either. They don't care about the expectations placed on the heir to a highprincedom.

9 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

This is Stormlight predictions right? I'm seeing a lot of triangles in here suddenly.

It is the Eighth Epoch, three thirty-seven of the Triangular Era. 

Book 4: I think Jasnah struggling with her new roles will be her arc.  She is used to bulldozing people with her personality and knowledge or having them assassinated, but that will not always work. She is Queen, but one without a kingdom. Her people are either under occupation or refugees in Urithiru, which Dalinar essentially governs. And Dalinar leads the coalition of nations a more powerful position than Queen of a conquered land. Dalinar respects Jasnah's wisdom and decision making a great deal more than he did Elhokar's, but there will be tension there.

Jasnah will adopt little Gavinor. I imagine it will be a Kholin family effort in a way Jasnah, Dalinar-Navani, Renarin and Shallan-Adolin. But, officially Jasnah would adopt him to have an heir, since he was already heir it makes sense.  I would like to see Jasnah as primary parent, that would be a different role for her to struggle with along with being Queen.

She felt like she didn't have patience or time for an adult ward before, now she has a small human she is responsible for. :) 

I’m just going to leave the list of my predictions here to have something to quote after I read the 4th book.

I don’t care much about realmatics. I appreciate it a lot, as it provides the characters with believable and somewhat predictable environment, which contributes to the overall sense of reality to the story, I’m just not interested in it so much in the first place. What I’m interested in are characters, their progression, and their relationships with each other, as it is something I can use for my own progression as a person. That's also something I feel I can predict, because the laws of psychology should remain the same even in a fantasy book, otherwise it's not worth reading.

1. Shadolin will not survive. Details spoilered for length.

Spoiler

I don’t know how exactly Shadolin death will occur, most probably they will stay officially married and will keep playing a happy couple in public, before Adolin dies in the 5th book, but their marriage is not going to be happy. Adolin didn't love Shallan in OB and was probably just slightly infatuated with her in WoR, so during this year timeskip he will get his enough amount of "ripping his shirt off" to get fed up and bored. My guess is that Adolin will be unfaithful. My personal preference - Tarah. She suits perfectly for the task, in my opinion. She can even be capable of really making him fall in love for the first time. But it can be someone else, or even a sequence of different women, as it was before Shadolin met.

2. Kaladin will marry Jasnah, but the journey will not be simple and straight. Details spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Kaladin will have little to no feelings for Shallan at least until she fixes her brain and finds her strength back, or I will be disappointed with him, lol.

I don't know, how exactly his relationship with Jasnah will go and if they will marry in the 4th book or in the beginning of the 5th book. My guess - he will ask her to help with the refugees, as they will need to Soulcast food to transfer large groups of people, and they will interact during those travels. It will be a romantic relationship (at least from Jasnah's side), but they will struggle with social consequences of this marriage, because they will both want to be equal. They will manage to find a compromise, and it will start the great changes in social statuses of both women and darkeyes in Alethkar, or maybe even Roshar.

Also, it is somewhat pure speculation on Ellista's interlude, but I would be very disappointed, if it appears that I was right, and I hadn't mentioned it in this post. I think, prior to marrying Jasnah Kaladin would have a very beautiful and dramatic, probably even tragic relationship with Rysn, resulting in him speaking his 4th Oath. Shallan could learn something from Rysn too, btw. Oh, yes, I assume, that Rysn won't have her legs back.

3. Adolin will start his journey to the Dark Side. Details spoilered for length.

Spoiler

I think his journey won't be complete until the 5th book, but we will definitely see the start of it in the 4th book. Adolin won't be able to stand his new life with all his favourite toys taken from him. Dueling was gone in OB already, louging was gone with him becoming a highprince, courting an occasional pretty girl is gone with his marriage. He will have tons of duties, like running his army, and he will probably do a poor job of it. It will raise his already existing jealousy for the bridgeboy. Eventually, his murder of Sadeas will come outside. I suspect, that either Ialai will call for a public trial, or Shallan will be the one to reveal it. My suppose is that Kaladin will already be married with Jasnah and will therefore be a king (or something like that), so he will be the one to judge Adolin for his crime. Kaladin will remember "the Roshone affair" and his 4th Ideal, and will be coerced to do the right thing, either imprisonment or a death sentence. Adolin will be rid of his lovely almost revived Maya and put to prison, but Mr T and co will help him escape. He will be mad and that storming darkeyed bastard, that rose too high, and forgot his place, also he will miss Maya and his so much desired Radiance, that was taken from him, and it's not his fault, that Sadeas was such a crem, Shallan couldn't earn his love, and there are still so many other pretty girls, and so on. Ready Odium's patient.

4. Shallan will hit the rock bottom to realize that she has to deal with her problems on her own. Details spoilered for length.

Spoiler

In the end of OB she was choosing between two men. Now she'd lost them both, because of her own stupidity, dependency, weakness, and lack of self-respect. Kaladin will be indifferent and too busy to spend his time with her, Adolin will prefer other women and probably other things to do. I expect her bond with Pattern to get weaker as well, so she will understand, that she won't get any support from the outside and she has to learn to be her own support. Though, I would like to see Syl helping her get her brain back into her head from that spot it went to before the wedding. Syl would be worried for Shallan, I think. I don't know, how exactly she will reintegrate, but she will have to face her truths and also her feelings for Kaladin, which will only grow stronger and more obvious with her reintegration. I would like to finally see the real Shallan, though not sure it will happen in the next book and not in the 5th, she is in a very bad state right now.

5. Szeth will be awesome. As always. I won't provide any details, because it's obvious :D

Edited by Chaos
Don't engage or escalate

3 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

It is the Eighth Epoch, three thirty-seven of the Triangular Era. 

Book 4: I think Jasnah struggling with her new roles will be her arc.  She is used to bulldozing people with her personality and knowledge or having them assassinated, but that will not always work. She is Queen, but one without a kingdom. Her people are either under occupation or refugees in Urithiru, which Dalinar essentially governs. And Dalinar leads the coalition of nations a more powerful position than Queen of a conquered land. Dalinar respects Jasnah's wisdom and decision making a great deal more than he did Elhokar's, but there will be tension there.

Jasnah will adopt little Gavinor. I imagine it will be a Kholin family effort in a way Jasnah, Dalinar-Navani, Renarin and Shallan-Adolin. But, officially Jasnah would adopt him to have an heir, since he was already heir it makes sense.  I would like to see Jasnah as primary parent, that would be a different role for her to struggle with along with being Queen.

She felt like she didn't have patience or time for an adult ward before, now she has a small human she is responsible for. :) 

If it strikes your fancy, I am curious your thoughts on my post "Jasnah, More than Meets the Eye". I have included a link to it below. It comments on Jasnah and the relationship she has with her wards, Dalinar, and her personality. I would love to hear your views on it.

I expect Navani to take primary responsibility for looking after Gavinor, she's the mothering type and likely less busy than Jasnah will be, and he's her grandkid. Jasnah might officially adopt him, but I doubt she'll have much time for him for practical reasons.

Skar, Drehy, and the rest of Bridge 4 will end up as honorary family.

Edited by CrazyRioter