- Moash still sucks

- Shallan starts actually trying to fix herself

- BAM gets released

- More Unmade appearances to go along with that

- Singer lore bombs left, right, and center 

- Renarin learns about his Voidish powers more

What're your predictions?

Edited by Inky

-Ash has been in a coma for the one year gap. She fell unconcious for the first time in thousands of years at the end of OB. Taln is rarely lucid and Ash is passed out. This way the main characters won't learn too many ancient secrets off-screen in between books.

-Singers invade Urithiru mid-book and the radiants take it back with help from the Sibling by the end.

-Venli switches sides.

Just now, Child of Hodor said:

-Singers invade Urithiru mid-book and the radiants take it back with help from the Sibling by the end.

I've actually had a prediction like this myself hahah! Would be a great time for Rlain to bond the Sibling. 

14 minutes ago, Inky said:

I've actually had a prediction like this myself hahah! Would be a great time for Rlain to bond the Sibling. 

Rlain bonding the Sibling would be great. Feels like there should be a Singer Bondsmith. 

Prediction: Dalinar has another weird dream with Nohadon, Gavilar or maybe Tanavast in it featuring an intense bright light. 

"He stepped to the balcony doors and pushed them open. Warm light bathed him. A deep, enveloping piercing warmth. A warmth that soaked down deep in his skin, into his very self.."  - WoR Ch. 89

"Dalinar started toward the balcony, but storms that light was so intense. It washed over him, making his eyes water." -OB Ch. 103

25 minutes ago, LerasiumMistborn said:

I think Dalinar can't have a Shardplate.

Yeah, Stormfather seems clear on that point. 

"YOU WILL BE A RADIANT WITH NO SHARDS" - WoR Ch. 89

Spren that make the Plate would die if Dalinar broke his oaths. Stormfather hates spren dying. I think it's hinted at that the radiant spren has control over the plate, at least indirectly. Like they have to recruit or make the lesser spren to be responsible for the plate initially.  

"Talk to Harkaylain then, or to your spren." The Windrunner frowned - OB Ch. 34 When Dalinar complaining about his helmet in a Vision. 

"Hmmm," Syl said. "I would be an excellent mother. I'd teach the little spren to fly, to coast the winds, to harrass you." - OB Ch. 10

"Talk to your spren" seems like it refers to the radiant spren, because the lesser spren like wind or glory don't talk much in the physical realm. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

Yeah, Stormfather seems clear on that point. 

"YOU WILL BE A RADIANT WITH NO SHARDS" - WoR Ch. 89

Spren that make the Plate would die if Dalinar broke his oaths. Stormfather hates spren dying. I think it's hinted at that the radiant spren has control over the plate, at least indirectly. Like they have to recruit or make the lesser spren to be responsible for the plate initially.  

"Talk to your spren" seems like it refers to the radiant spren, because the lesser spren like wind or glory don't talk much in the physical realm. 

But Dalinar was able to use the Stormfather as a shard enough at least to use the portal.  Also, sometimes it seems that when the word 'shard' is used it can refer to the blade and not the plate.  I can't point to a specific time off the top of my head, just an impression I have gotten.  I think Dalinar could still get Radiant plate.  

15 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

But Dalinar was able to use the Stormfather as a shard enough at least to use the portal.  Also, sometimes it seems that when the word 'shard' is used it can refer to the blade and not the plate.  I can't point to a specific time off the top of my head, just an impression I have gotten.  I think Dalinar could still get Radiant plate.  

Stormfather might change his mind.

There are times where gloryspren circle close around Dalinar like Windspren do with Kalidan, which I take as a hint at how plate is formed, but I don't think they know how, the Stormfather would need to help them. 

Dalinar can reach in to the spiritual realm and grab some of that power and use it, but Stormfather hates it and seemed to damage the bond. I don't think Dalinar can force Stormfather to become a blade. 

I support Rlain bonding the Sibling. It'd be fantastic.

Adolin will make some real tangible progress with healing Maya, but I don't think she'll be fully healed until book 5.

I think Dalinar WILL get Plate, he manifested some weird glowy geometric stuff during the vision with Venli, which I think is proto-Plate.

With regard to the singers invading Urithiru, if it happens Venli will be there and she will sort of struggle with herself, until a climatic moment when she decides to openly turn against Odium's forces.

I would love to see Singers throwing off Odium an the Fused. Even if they don't side with humans, I just want to see them escaping all their oppressors. 

Rlain as a Bondsmith would rock, I'd also love to see him as a Windrunner. I hope he finds the Listeners and becomes their leader either way.

I would like to see Shallan confronting her issues, maybe she has a break down, maybe a fight with Adolin, but something comes to a head so she can become more honest with her self and speak more truths.

I want to see how everyone treats Szeth, that is bound to be awkward and fraught. 

Kaladin can swear another oath now. I think he's earned it.

I want to see all the Unmade we've not seen yet and I think that is actually likely.

Gavinor. I just need to see him being well taken care of, that's all.

My sincerest guess is that something I never saw coming and couldn't begin to guess at.

I have a theory (well, more of a desire) that Dai-Gonarthis shows up sooner rather than later. And Chemoarish. And Ba-Ado-Mishram. I JUST WANT TO SEE UNMADE

Edited by Inky

What would be interesting would be Adolin accidentally joining Odium, perhaps similar to Renarin bonding a corrupt spren. I don't have any evidence for this happening, but I think it would be an cool addition to his character arc. We already know that he has anger management issues- perhaps Odium would play off of that? Or maybe Odium would figure outa way to return some semblance of life to Maya, giving Adolin the impression that he's a Radiant.

In addition, I think more with Moash. Whether he develops into a bigger villain, volluntarily, or whether he pulls a Kaladin and helps the Parshendi rise up against the Fused, I think he's begging for screen time. 

A lot of things went wrong in Oathbringer that need to be fixed, but I'm not forseeing full resolution to any character arcs until the 5th book, at soonest (sorry, Shallan). Mostly, I just want to see what new things Sanderson will come up with to throw us all off.

That's why I don't think that he'd do it intentionally. But Odium is incredibly crafty, and he could certainly manipulate Adolin's good nature. We've already seen that Adolin feels a little left behind by all the Radiant stuff, and that would only increase as more and more Radiants start coming forward, and the Heralds begin emerging. Adolin wouldn't deliberately hurt those he loves, but if he thinks that he's helping, he might. It would be an interesting direction for his character to take, and would later reinforce the themes of redemption in SA.

For what it's worth, I think you might be onto something.

Adolin is not a bad person, but has a few traits (like temperament and jealousy), that are easily exploitable. 

I think, Adolin will join Odium, he is a perfect candidate for that. I think, he would get punished for Sadeas' murder and, as he doesn't regret what he did, he would be blaming others for this, just like Moash was. "It's not my fault". Later on Odium would contact him and reveal him the truth about his father, so Adolin's journey to the Dark Side would be complete. Not sure, tho, it would all happen in SA4. 

1 minute ago, Sedside said:

I think, Adolin will join Odium, he is a perfect candidate for that. I think, he would get punished for Sadeas' murder and, as he doesn't regret what he did, he would be blaming others for this, just like Moash was. "It's not my fault". Later on Odium would contact him and reveal him the truth about his father, so Adolin's journey to the Dark Side would be complete. Not sure, tho, it would all happen in SA4. 

Dalinar's going to reveal the truth about what happened himself. Which will definitely affect Adolin and Dalinar's relationship but I don't think will drive him to Odium outright.

And I think Adolin would accept punishment, he doesn't regret what he did exactly but he knows it was extrelegal, and I think he would consider being punished a fair trade off for Sadeas being dead.

All this talk of Adolin joining Odium, somehow by accident, seemed incredibly silly to me until I thought about it. Now, I can't help but think that seeing someone joining Odium without even noticing would be fantastic. Ideally, even the audience wouldn't notice until it was too late.

I’m not sure how good these predictions are, but I don’t actually think Shallan’s main problems are going to be relationship issues with Adolin. I actually think she’ll have more problems related to her involvement with the Ghostbloods. And I think we will actually see her grow closer to resolving her personas issue. Maybe not 100% yet, but I don’t think she gets worse or stays where she ended up at the end of OB. 

I think Kaladin starts to learn to let go of his desire to protect everyone due to Bridge 4 becoming more and more independently Radiant. He’ll learn that you can still look out for each other while accepting that people will still make their own choices (and sometimes poor choices) Like he said to Teft and the end of OB that they will continue to help save each other. He’ll also have character growth aided by time spent with his family, who hopefully he can get to Urithiru. 

I actually am really excited for more Venli/Timbre. I can’t wait to see where they go and how the start to teach the Singers. I agree with the idea that they will break from Odium, but maybe not 100% join the humans yet either. And I really want Rlain to find the runaway Listeners from WoR. They will more likely join the humans first since Rlain is Bridge 4. 

I think Singer/Listener history is also going to teach us more about the Unmade so there will be a good tie in with having more of them get involved. 

I think the main interlude character is going to be either Moash/Vyre or Taravangian. Those usually seem to focus on someone who is somewhat an antagonist to our main characters. 

Hmmm. 

Kaladin: work on accepting his oath so we get to hear the words he already knows and see his plate. 

Jasnah: be unimpressed by Kaladin's plate and reveal she's had hers for a while. 

Renarin: figure out his Illumination is not like the others and start discovering its limitations. 

Adolin: keep on doing Adolin stuff. Maybe makes some progress with Maya... But I expect the difficulty of that process to be a back half culmination. 

Dalinar: politics, visions. 

Shallan: mental progress and ghostbloods shenanigans. 

Szeth: teacher of Surges. 

Lift: is annoying. 

I'd rather Dalinar have a normal spren like everyone else. Stormfather is probably the worst possible choice. No sword to fight, no armor to protect yourself, no normal powers. Useless...

As for predictions: everyone will be doing some awesome stuff. Dalinar will sit in hallway during two or three chapters he will get.

Edited by LerasiumMistborn

34 minutes ago, LerasiumMistborn said:

I'd rather Dalinar have a normal spren like everyone else. Stormfather is probably the worst possible choice. No sward to fight, no armor to protect yourself, no normal powers. Useless...

As for predictions: everyone will be doing some awesome stuff. Dalinar will sit in hallway during two or three chapters he will get.

Not useless, very useful. Just not for combat purposes. Nothing wrong with that.