Overlapping Speed Bubbles

WhiteEmporer

So I feel like Brandon has to have built in some reason why this allomantic trick woudn't work, because it would be entirely too OP and easy to do.

Say you have too Bendalloy Mistings, named (by uncreative parents) A and B. They are standing side by side.

A makes a speed bubble (Bubble 1) around both of them. T

B moves to about the edge of bubble 1 and makes bubble 2. Both mistings are now standing in the area where both bubbles overlap.

A walks to B and turns off bubble 1. Then he walks to the edge of bubble 2 and does the same thing. 

Essentially, two Beldalloy mistings use overlapping speed bubbles to travel leapfrog-style. They could go  anywhere they want in the space of a heartbeat. It would take a lot of money (to buy a ton of Bendalloy) and two Bendalloy mistings, but someone like the Set would have figured out how to do this, and then be able to steal whatever they want and assasinate whomever they wish.

But as I said, this feels like it breaks Brandon's nice balanced magic system, so there's probably some reason it doesn't work...

...right?

I have no idea if that would work or not, but I think it probably wouldn't just because I don't think they'd be able to make a bubble go past the boundary of the other bubble, but I have no idea. With the higher metals, stuff gets a little wonky (read: thoeretically infinite Investiture from Nicrosil).

16 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I have no idea if that would work or not, but I think it probably wouldn't just because I don't think they'd be able to make a bubble go past the boundary of the other bubble, but I have no idea. With the higher metals, stuff gets a little wonky (read: thoeretically infinite Investiture from Nicrosil).

A speed bubble is formed in a diameter with the misting in the center, right? So I figure someone near the edge of a speed bubble could make another bubble that extends outwward from them, etc.

However, if you're saying that the one speed bubble would interfere with the other, then you may be right. If that's the case, I am both relieved and disappointed.

2 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

However, if you're saying that the one speed bubble would interfere with the other, then you may be right. If that's the case, I am both relieved and disappointed.

That's what I mean, yes. In the same way that aluminum would interfere with the forming of the speed bubbles.

Speed bubbles multiply. 

Questioner

So what happens if you have a Bendalloy bubble, and then another Bendalloy bubble inside of it?

Brandon Sanderson

It will compound and double, and it will multiply. Bendalloy is one of the metals from Alloy of Law if you haven’t read it, as this person obviously has, or has read the Ars Arcanum, you’ll find out what it does.

Alloy of Law release party (Nov. 7, 2011)

Hujpz8c.png

4 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Hasn't he also implied that the bubbles can be moved, and they just haven't discovered how yet?

We know they can be moved so long as they are attached to something of significant enough mass. Bubbles on trains wouldn't work otherwise. 

As far as moving a bubble with a person... A Savant could learn how to do it, but your going to run into issues every time the bubble crosses over something and transfers energy back and forth. 

Questioner

So my quick question: Can you use Identity (I love the speed bubbles!) to anchor speed bubbles to yourself?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, this is possible. That's less a matter of Identity. What’s gonna happen there, like, the more someone uses the powers, the more familiar and intermingled with their soul the powers become, and they are able to accomplish things that others can't. This would be like a Mistborn learning to hover a coin, right, which they can do, but most think you can't. That's the sort of level we're going with.

Necarion

So a savant could?

Brandon Sanderson

A savant could totally do that. The problem is, things moving in and out of a speed bubble, there's a transference of energy. This is how we keep speed bubbles from irradiating people when light moves through them, right, red shift. And so there's a transfer of energy directly from the Spiritual Realm, which means that moving with a speed bubble, you're gonna run into that, and it's gonna be, it's gonna cause all kinds of problems, but it would be possible.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic