The Night Watcher

Speculations on Hoid's Motivations?

7 posts in this topic

Every time I read Stormlight, I try to figure him out, but he always seems to have another facet hiding away. He tells Dalinar he'll watch the world burn to get what he wants, which made me think he would be go after his goals with cold efficiency. But he seems to be following our Radiants around the world and offering wisdom when they need it (speaking to Dalinar, Kaladin in prison, Shallan after watching Grund's death, Jasnah when she returned from Shadesmar). All that talk about being in the right place but not knowing why confuses me. 

Hoid has a beef against Rayse/Odium, but other then that we don't really know what he's up to.

I don't think he's cold. He says he'll watch Roshar burn if he has to, but with tears in his eyes. And he really does seem to care about people, with all the help he gives Shallan. I have no idea what his purpose is, though, but I'm secretly hoping that he wants to restore Adonalsium so he can be the greatest King's Wit of them all. God's Wit.

8 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

Every time I read Stormlight, I try to figure him out, but he always seems to have another facet hiding away. He tells Dalinar he'll watch the world burn to get what he wants, which made me think he would be go after his goals with cold efficiency. But he seems to be following our Radiants around the world and offering wisdom when they need it (speaking to Dalinar, Kaladin in prison, Shallan after watching Grund's death, Jasnah when she returned from Shadesmar). All that talk about being in the right place but not knowing why confuses me. 

We suspect it is a manipulation of fortune. 

My speculation is that he lost someone he loved, and wants to bring that person back from the Beyond. And he was for the Shattering because he thought it would change the rules enough to make that possible.

Whatever his ultimate goal Hoid clearly does not want Rayse around interfering so naturally he would want to stop Odium.  However as a worldhopper the destruction of Roshar would not do much more then inconvenience him so if stopping Rayse means ending Roshar he will make the sacrifice. 

He doesn't like Rayse, so he tries to help the main characters take him down. Maybe that little comment about watching Roshar burn if he has to is just to let Dalinar know that he has his own goals and motives and that he does not wish to be pushed around and told what to do by him.