New User Introduction

Beavs007

Hello everyone.  I’m beavs007.  Just joined.  

My biggest goal is to one day become a beta reader for Brandon Sanderson!  

If you have any advice for how to achieve that honor, please comment!

also, I am wondering if any of you think that Sazed will be the one to take down Odium?

Welcome to the Shard!

2 hours ago, Beavs007 said:

Also, I will try to find it, but if there is a list of the etiquette protocol somewhere on here?  I don't want to make a faux pas!!!

You can find the site rules here: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6-a-welcome-to-17th-shard-and-the-rules/

Other good resources are the Coppermind (the Cosmere Wikipedia) and Arcanum (a searchable archive of everything Brandon's ever said about the Cosmere).  

Hey! Welcome to the shard. I honestly share your dream of becoming a beta reader at one point. That would be amazing. Be sure to tell me if you find anything. I wouldn't take that cookie if I were you. Have an upvote!

10 minutes ago, T8* said:

Hey! Welcome to the shard. I honestly share your dream of becoming a beta reader at one point. That would be amazing. Be sure to tell me if you find anything. I wouldn't take that cookie if I were you. Have an upvote!

I found something on Mr. Sanderson’s website. One of the things he said was not to pester Mr. Ahlstrom.  Unfortunately, I had already sent Peter a private message.   So I went back and apologized and asked him to disregard. 

I also found that that if you can spot typos that Peter has NOT around yet, you’re probably a shoo-in to be a beta. 

1 hour ago, Chinkoln said:

I am new and confused about the reputation titles. What is the list of titles and the number of posts needed for each? Who assigns the titles or is it automatic?

It's an automatic thing, and it's not posting amount that determines the titles, it's the upvotes. 

Here's the list: 

It's essentially a like. You get I think... 20 upvotes a day to give. You click the little arrow next to someone's post and they've been upvoted. When you pass milestones, your title is changed. Check that link to see it.

If you get a lot of upvotes in a week, month, year, all time, you go on the leaderboard. (Like me! The meme lord!)

On 2/28/2019 at 6:27 AM, Beavs007 said:

Also, I will try to find it, but if there is a list of the etiquette protocol somewhere on here?  I don't want to make a faux pas!!!

Ironically, generally against etiquette is posting twice in a row :P

You can find a full list of the rules here: 

But welcome!

Edited by Kidpen

On 2/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Beavs007 said:

I also found that that if you can spot typos that Peter has NOT around yet, you’re probably a shoo-in to be a beta. 

I have found a goal in life. I thank you my friend.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, Beavs007 said:

@beantheboy12 I think I am too curious to NOT trying the cookie.  But before I say yes, is this a cookie for my computer?

'Tis not a cookie for thou computer, but one of ultimate glory and power.  The holy arts of hemalurgy, thy cookie contains.  'Tis a cookie of great virtue, power, and honor.  Thou is wise to accept.

Welcome to the shard!  Take a free upvote, and I hope you enjoy your time here.  What's your favorite character/book?  

Here's some friendly advice.  Definitely check out the rules list, and make sure you're familiar with how things work here.  Avoid subforums about books you haven't read, because they will most undoubtably be spoiled for you.  If you want to talk about the cosmere, propose theories, or otherwise, the Cosmere Discussion area is a good place to begin.  If you're into RP (or even if you're not) the Alleyverse is the only place* to RP.  If one was wise enough to take that last bit of advice, I would advise you to join my guild, the Diagramists.  Another good place to hang out is The Last Post Wins.  The Longest Thread does not exist and is not a thing.  Hello and Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

*This may or may not be true, depending on the reader's view

40 minutes ago, Beavs007 said:

@beantheboy12 I think I’m ready to try that cookie...

If you're going to eat a cookie, eat one that doesn't take your soul(mine). Or, if you really want your soul maimed, I can make one of those and it'll be more likely to less mess you up severely than Bean's.

Edited by Invocation

5 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

'Tis not a cookie for thou computer, but one of ultimate glory and power.  The holy arts of hemalurgy, thy cookie contains.  'Tis a cookie of great virtue, power, and honor.  Thou is wise to accept.

Welcome to the shard!  Take a free upvote, and I hope you enjoy your time here.  What's your favorite character/book?  

Here's some friendly advice.  Definitely check out the rules list, and make sure you're familiar with how things work here.  Avoid subforums about books you haven't read, because they will most undoubtably be spoiled for you.  If you want to talk about the cosmere, propose theories, or otherwise, the Cosmere Discussion area is a good place to begin.  If you're into RP (or even if you're not) the Alleyverse is the only place* to RP.  If one was wise enough to take that last bit of advice, I would advise you to join my guild, the Diagramists.  Another good place to hang out is The Last Post Wins.  The Longest Thread does not exist and is not a thing.  Hello and Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

*This may or may not be true, depending on the reader's view

Favorite book in the Cosmere?  Whew!  That’s tough.  I think I was the most gripped by the beginning of the Elantris 10th anniversary audiobook, though I am not sure if it was any different than the original.  I think my favorite SF series ever is Mistborn.  And of course, the Arcanum Unbounded was tremendous!  I will also have to say that Stormlight is REALLY growing on me.  Not that I ever disliked it.   They were the only ones I actually read—listened to all the others.  My schedule doesn’t give me much time to sit and read, so it took FOREVER to get through them.  Having said that, I am impressed with how much depth Stormlight has, more than Wheel of Time, in my opinion.  I think too that Kaladin is my single favorite character, all things considered.