Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

I that case Lilia can heal him. She can create a basic spell to keep his heart and breathing going within 2 minutes, basically putting him on life-support. Afterwards she'll have the time to fix his spine as well.

Okay, I will admit I was kinda hoping someone had a hidden heal card up their sleeves.

Just now, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Okay, I will admit I was kinda hoping someone had a hidden heal card up their sleeves.

You're talking about a mage whose whole village specializes in biological manipulation, and who can turn people into living, moving plants. The biggest IC reason she generally doesn't heal people is because it's considered as being not enough of a challenge in her culture.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

You're talking about a mage whose whole village specializes in biological manipulation, and who can turn people into living, moving plants. The biggest IC reason she generally doesn't heal people is because it's considered as being not enough of a challenge in her culture.

Ah, I should have read your characters thing more closely.:mellow:

19 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Ah, I should have read your characters thing more closely.:mellow:

Yeah. I actually didn't intend her to be a healer though, since Sorana already had one. Given that she's somewhat of a Druid type character having a secondary task as healer does fit to some degree though.

Edit:
And now the chorus of Stayin' Alive from Bee Gees starts playing.

Edited by kenod

19 minutes ago, kenod said:

Yeah. I actually didn't intend her to be a healer though, since Sorana already had one. Given that she's somewhat of a Druid type character having a secondary task as healer does fit to some degree though.

It fits really well.

And Amara is more this typical healer, as she can't use magic for that. She's good with plants and sewing skin together, so she could have eased Karl along, but these injuries are way to severe for her to heal, so it's great that you can do it.

Honestly, I have some troubles writing that character. (And yes I know, I already killed one healer off, because I couldn't get it right, but I wanted to give it another try.) She somehow feels liveless to me, if you know what I mean?

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

Honestly, I have some troubles writing that character. (And yes I know, I already killed one healer off, because I couldn't get it right, but I wanted to give it another try.) She somehow feels liveless to me, if you know what I mean?

I don't really know, I've never created healers before. I guess the main issue is that a lot of interesting interactions are during combat, and a pure healer won't be able to do much, they can only wait until someone gets hurt, bring them back and then stand back as everything continues, so not a lot of room for showcasing personality there. There's also the fact that healers can easily be overpowered, which means that you'll need to keep their power down, which in turn makes them too weak and ineffective, which gives them even less purpose in the story. My guess is that this is why most healers in tabletop RPGs and MMOs have combat skills as well, with healing being just a part of their character.

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

I don't really know, I've never created healers before. I guess the main issue is that a lot of interesting interactions are during combat, and a pure healer won't be able to do much, they can only wait until someone gets hurt, bring them back and then stand back as everything continues, so not a lot of room for showcasing personality there. There's also the fact that healers can easily be overpowered, which means that you'll need to keep their power down, which in turn makes them too weak and ineffective, which gives them even less purpose in the story. My guess is that this is why most healers in tabletop RPGs and MMOs have combat skills as well, with healing being just a part of their character.

I don't know?

I don't really care about combat, most of characters are focused on skills outside of that, and just improvise when they end up in a conflict. But maybe, I don't know. I just don't get a grip on her and rewrite my posts, until I go with something short, because that's safe and let's the story go on. I simply don't know who she is, what she is doing. Maybe she is just too good, without an edge. I don't know.

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

I don't know?

I don't really care about combat, most of characters are focused on skills outside of that, and just improvise when they end up in a conflict. But maybe, I don't know. I just don't get a grip on her and rewrite my posts, until I go with something short, because that's safe and let's the story go on. I simply don't know who she is, what she is doing. Maybe she is just too good, without an edge. I don't know.

I don't really know either, I do have similar issues sometimes, but in my case it's more that I need to get my mind in the right state to write a specific character, and when I don't have it for one reason or another the personality/portrayal of that character tends to fluctuate. It's one of the reasons why I tend to create detailed backstories, since it helps with the process.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

I don't really know either, I do have similar issues sometimes, but in my case it's more that I need to get my mind in the right state to write a specific character, and when I don't have it for one reason or another the personality/portrayal of that character tends to fluctuate. It's one of the reasons why I tend to create detailed backstories, since it helps with the process.

Well, I 'll go on with her until that quest is over. Then I'll see. If I still don't know who she is, I'll just retire her.

Usually it works better for me to just start with a vague idea and fill the rest in while writing. I use the background only as a starting point.

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

How do you mean? Like, what they look like, do, etc? 

Yeah, I was looking at the rp thread and was thinking about how we can bring everyone back into one location, and get some other side questions answered at the same time. I was thinking one would stop the riot at the inn, and take round us all up and take us to the inquisition, seeing us as a potential threat to the cities stability.

@ZincAboutIt

12 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Yeah, I was looking at the rp thread and was thinking about how we can bring everyone back into one location, and get some other side questions answered at the same time. I was thinking one would stop the riot at the inn, and take round us all up and take us to the inquisition, seeing us as a potential threat to the cities stability.

@ZincAboutIt

That’s a good idea. I’m not at home rn but I can write up something tonight most likely! Or I can leave it in your capable hands ^_^ 

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

So I was wondering... Since the new era is around and all, does that mean Roshek is resetting too?

If you want! Feel free to gather a group and set out on a new adventure if you would like. I won't be able to participate this era, I'm about at mental capacity and I don't want to leave any plot holes this time. But the world is built and ready to be played around in, if you're eager for more! :] 

If you want to you can. If you're interested in a setting idea, at one point we had talked about a different continent where magic was done by interfering with spirits instead of using runes, so that could create something interesting as well.