Windrunner Adhesion

Lightblood

Question

Am I the only one who thinks that Adhesion is the dumbest of all the surges. Especially with Windrunners. We've only seen them stick people to things which they could could do already by just changing their gravity to the wall. It doesn't seem to be very effective or useful. With Bondsmiths we see Dalinar use Adhesion to spirtually connect to the Azish enough to speak their language but Windrunners are just stuck with a lame power that has been used in practicing with stormlight and never again. Any Ideas on what Adhesion might do additionally for specifically windrunners, if it does do anything more?

6 answers to this question

Well it seems a theme that the more "dangerous" of the 2 surges is saved until they're later in their Oaths for each order, obviously more so for Skybreakers than any other but only because of HOW dangerous division is,  and we've seen a lot of gravitation but not much adhesion for Windrunners so there's that. Plus I doubt any one surge will be completely useless when u have access to another. Mixing powers is a theme in the Cosmere, but when u only have access to 2 powers ur probably going to figure out the best ways to combine them. 

1 hour ago, Lightblood said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Adhesion is the dumbest of all the surges. Especially with Windrunners. We've only seen them stick people to things which they could could do already by just changing their gravity to the wall. It doesn't seem to be very effective or useful. With Bondsmiths we see Dalinar use Adhesion to spirtually connect to the Azish enough to speak their language but Windrunners are just stuck with a lame power that has been used in practicing with stormlight and never again. Any Ideas on what Adhesion might do additionally for specifically windrunners, if it does do anything more?

Adhesion is the surge of pressure. It has been confirmed that a windrunner can use it to allow them to travel in the vacuum of space!!!

50 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Adhesion is the surge of pressure. It has been confirmed that a windrunner can use it to allow them to travel in the vacuum of space!!!

Kaladin's splitting of the stormwall should have been this as well. 

Create a high pressure area to hold off the wind of the storm. 

There's a very important distinction between lashing someone and adhering them to a wall - with lashing they can move; adhered they cannot.  

Also, I would guess that Adhesion is more efficient than Gravitation.  

While Gravitation allows for the most exciting abilities (i.e. flying), the projectile deflection and the aforementioned space travel aren't too shabby either.  

For what it's worth I suspect the reason that Windrunner Resonance effect of getting more Squires is along similar lines Spiritual Adhesion (Connection) use of the surge we see with Bondsmiths. Thought it likely has a Spiritual Gravitation spin on it, something along the thematic lines of magically reinforced charisma that draws follower to them.

On a purely physical level, if it's truly "The Surge of Pressure and Vacuum" then there could be the possibility of some serious mechanical compression effects, especially if combined with Gravitation.  Ever see a comic book gravity villain turn a person into a soccer ball?  If not you should really check out the last season of Agents of Shield...

It could be incredibly useful if you have a large source of water nearby.  Basically grants waterbending. Also missile deflection by generating wind.  And in personal combat you could pin an opponent to the floor quite easily as Kaladin does while sparing usefull if you don't want to kill them quickly.  Also generating a vacume on earth could suffocate large numbers of opponents Vader style...

Edited by Karger