Use the Falchion

Pokemon Sword and Shield

17 posts in this topic

So Pokémon Sword and Shield have just been announced! Thoughts? Hopes? Expectations? I for one think the starters are all cute. But I have to go with water. It's my jam!

I like the look of the starters, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed due to a lack of Sinnoh remakes for another year. 

I don't love the starters, to be honest. Of course going for fire though because I always do fire.

Huh. I haven't seen it yet.

Someone said:

"introducing scorbunny and two literal pieces of trash."

1 hour ago, Embrisk said:

Someone said:

We're not going to do the Popplio thing again. Absolutely not.

Also do y'all reckon that the trio-completer will be Pokemon Staff?

Edited by Invocation

2 hours ago, Embrisk said:

Someone said:

I think they could have been a lot better, and think it's more like three pieces of trash.

I love the new place, it looks like Germany.

1 minute ago, Ark1002 said:

I love the new place, it looks like Germany.

That's what I was thinking too! The way the houses look tipped it.

Just now, Invocation said:

That's what I was thinking too! The way the houses look tipped it.

Yeah, and the clothing.

1 minute ago, Ark1002 said:

Yeah, and the clothing.

Not gonna lie, I paid no attention to the clothing. I guess I probably should have, but I like looking at the backgrounds better.

If I’m being honest, I wasn’t all that impressed. Granted, I’ve never been a huge Pokemon fan either, so I may be a bit biased(my friends are huge fans though; it was fun to watch them geek out).

I’m not in love with the art style. It looks to me like they just transitioned the 3ds games to an HD console, with no creation of new models. It looks kinda bleak, in my opinion.

And random encounters are back. Ugh. I thought we’d be rid of them after Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee, but I guess that isn’t the case.

Those are my thoughts. I’m much more excited for games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Daemon X Machina, and Astral Chain.

Not optimistic about the starters, but i'll reserve final judgement until i see some final forms.  can't say much more than that really, without more info, but i've generally been disappointed by every game ive played post Gen 2 (including the remakes of the gen 1 games).  All that said, I don't have a switch so its all sort of moot anyway.

5 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

Not optimistic about the starters, but i'll reserve final judgement until i see some final forms.  can't say much more than that really, without more info, but i've generally been disappointed by every game ive played post Gen 2 (including the remakes of the gen 1 games).  All that said, I don't have a switch so its all sort of moot anyway.

um excuse me gen 3 was the best gen.

31 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

post Gen 2 (including the remakes of the gen 1 games).  All that said, I don't have a switch so its all sort of moot anyway.

You must not have played Platinum, then.

20 hours ago, Invocation said:

You must not have played Platinum, then.

played ruby, platinum, white, x, and fire red.  didnt play heart gold/soul silver or omega ruby/alpha sapphire or sun/moon.  one of my biggest annoyances with the later gens is how they put legendaries into the plot so that you have to encounter them.  Also the fire/fighting starters, not a fan of that particular type combination at all.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Dunkum said:

played ruby, platinum, white, x, and fire red.  didnt play heart gold/soul silver or omega ruby/alpha sapphire or sun/moon.  one of my biggest annoyances with the later gens is how they put legendaries into the plot so that you have to encounter them.  Also the fire/fighting starters, not a fan of that particular type combination at all.

Ok, I agree that fire/fighting got a little old very quickly. I haven’t played gen 1 or 2, because I don’t have a console old enough, but I like how the legendary is involved in the plot. Aside from that, platinum is the best. 

6 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

Ok, I agree that fire/fighting got a little old very quickly. I haven’t played gen 1 or 2, because I don’t have a console old enough, but I like how the legendary is involved in the plot. Aside from that, platinum is the best. 

I will say a disproportionate part of my like/dislike for the games is the starters, largely in terms of the design, and to a lesser extent type. gen 3 had, I think, the worst batch of starters, whle gen 4 at least goes 2/3 (infernape is kind of terrible, I think, but Empoleon and Torterra are great).  if you have a 3ds (or maybe a wii u/switch, not sure) then you should be able to get the early games for virtual console.  i highly recommend trying out gens 1 and 2.  they have some issues that get addressed in later games, but overall i like the simplicity of them compared to the later ones.  and to my mind, the gen 1 legendary birds are probably the best legendaries, in terms of where they are and how you get to them.