Horror Thread planning

Voidus

1 hour ago, Fatebreaker said:

I’d like to avoid Organic Chemistry pop quizzes. I don’t think my fragile, recovering psyche could handle it.

Lol.

I personally want all, and if someone can't handle that, they shouldn't be participating in a horror thread.

Edited by Ark1002

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

So another question for players, the general theme seems to be that people aren't wanting a thriller. So how comfortable are people with varying levels of horror? If anyone has anything that they specifically want to avoid let us know, if you'd rather keep something private feel free to PM me.

Things to consider:
Comfortability with gore /Gross things/ uncomfortable visuals - This is a bit limited on the Shard anyway but it would be nice to know everyone's comfortability.
Comfortability with psychological horror including themes of insanity and mental illness
Any particular triggers that you really don't want the RP to touch on.

1. Completely fine with any level.
  2. Completely fine.
  3. Nothing that is allowed on the shard.

People can enjoy parts of horror without enjoying all of it, and sometimes people have very specific triggers. Good horror rides a fine line of making people uncomfortable without actually traumatising them. If you're wanting to participate in a horror campaign then yes you should expect a level of uncomfortableness, but if there is something that is going to traumatise you then that is something we should avoid, and doesn't mean you should be forbidden from ever engaging in a genre that you otherwise enjoy.

For me personally: I don't want to go into too much detail but I've had some really unpleasant and personal experiences with infant mortality, so I really would not want to play in a horror game that featured that as a heavy theme. It would take me beyond 'intriguingly uncomfortable and adrenaline fueled' straight to panic attacks and a serious depressive episode. But that doesn't mean I couldn't happily participate in an RP as long as it doesn't feature those themes, or even one that very lightly touched on it but didn't focus on it.

I would want everyone to be welcome to participate in this as long as they like the genre. If someone said they were uncomfortable with all mental illness, blood of any kind, gruesome imagery, jump scares, monsters and cosmic horrors then I would definitely suggest that this is probably just not an appropriate RP, but if anyone has something specific that they want to avoid but believe that we could still have a game that everyone could experience without, then please do let me know. I don't need any justifications or reasons or anything if you don't want to share, just let me know anything that's off topic.

Sorry to dampen the vibe a little, but this is a serious point that I want to make clear, we should respect people who want to avoid certain things and make room to allow them to still play where possible.

*Takes mod hat back off again*

25 minutes ago, Voidus said:

someone said they were uncomfortable with all mental illness, blood of any kind, gruesome imagery, jump scares, monsters and cosmic horrors then I would definitely suggest that this is probably just not an appropriate RP,

Describes me. 

So uh, looks like I’m not going to be taking a part in this. 

I have a hard time with topics around dying children and miscarriage. I'm fine when they get mentioned, but a plot central about that won't work for me.

And I don't want to have a character die from an illness, wither away for long time. But that point is really about my own character, as I don't want to write that.

13 hours ago, Voidus said:

For me personally: I don't want to go into too much detail but I've had some really unpleasant and personal experiences with infant mortality, so I really would not want to play in a horror game that featured that as a heavy theme. It would take me beyond 'intriguingly uncomfortable and adrenaline fueled' straight to panic attacks and a serious depressive episode. But that doesn't mean I couldn't happily participate in an RP as long as it doesn't feature those themes, or even one that very lightly touched on it but didn't focus on it.

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

I have a hard time with topics around dying children and miscarriage. I'm fine when they get mentioned, but a plot central about that won't work for me.

And I don't want to have a character die from an illness, wither away for long time. But that point is really about my own character, as I don't want to write that.

Okay. So, if we include child mortality, it has to be done in the way that Ark and I did Dusk's family. Saying it happened, but not explaining how, or why, just saying that it happened.

I might have a character in late stage of illness, but that wil be after a time skip, and they would just die. Like that spy in the beginning of Warbreaker.

Side thing; we could do a thing where, everyone is a villian. Their are no good guys. Like, the government is corrupt, GB is evil, DA is more evil, and all of the other guilds and organizations are all evil in their own way, and if we make horror versions of our characters, which I know Ark is going to do, and I fully intend to, would be more evil. Like, Dusk would be a human sacrificer, and Hellbent would be slightly nicer, and Melody/Walker's morals would be completely reversed. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

12 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Okay. So, if we include child mortality, it has to be done in the way that Ark and I did Dusk's family. Saying it happened, but not explaining how, or why, just saying that it happened.

I might have a character in late stage of illness, but that wil be after a time skip, and they would just die. Like that spy in the beginning of Warbreaker.

Side thing; we could do a thing where, everyone is a villian. Their are no good guys. Like, the government is corrupt, GB is evil, DA is more evil, and all of the other guilds and organizations are all evil in their own way, and if we make horror versions of our characters, which I know Ark is going to do, and I fully intend to, would be more evil. Like, Dusk would be a human sacrificer, and Hellbent would be slightly nicer, and Melody/Walker's morals would be completely reversed. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Eh, in that case I'd prefer something more SCP-Foundation like, where they're more dark gray than fully evil. But just having all characters be evil wouldn't really work for a horror setting, since most characters would be the victims, not the people causing bad stuff.

Just now, Blessing of Potency said:

Ooo, yes! I freaking love the SCP foundation 

Same, though I'm not sure how well it would work for this. For one thing, I have a feeling we'd probably end up with a lolFoundation situation, or transition into an action setting.

2 minutes ago, Arky-boi said:

Ima have another Hellbent :)

Please don't, or at least not without discussing it with Voidus, given that he'll probably serve as GM.

Edit:
I'll probably take a researcher who's trying to figure out what's going on, possibly going slowly mad as everything they thought was true is proven wrong.

Edited by kenod

Just now, Arky-boi said:

Why do you assume it will be wrong.

Could be more like Anthony, or Ronin.

Because calling them Hellbent kind of indicates that they're meant to be at least as horrifying as what the GM would throw at the players.
Also, Anthony and Ronin are still an issue, since they're fairly skilled warriors, who are more likely to just smash the monster into pieces instead of going into a mental breakdown.

18 minutes ago, kenod said:

Eh, in that case I'd prefer something more SCP-Foundation like, where they're more dark gray than fully evil. But just having all characters be evil wouldn't really work for a horror setting, since most characters would be the victims, not the people causing bad stuff.

16 minutes ago, Blessing of Potency said:

Ooo, yes! I freaking love the SCP foundation 

That's what I meant.

I'm going to do an evil Dusk. Yes, an evil Dusk. Dusk is not evil. Do not argue this point with me, Dusk is a good person.

Just now, kenod said:

Because calling them Hellbent kind of indicates that they're meant to be at least as horrifying as what the GM would throw at the players.
Also, Anthony and Ronin are still an issue, since they're fairly skilled warriors, who are more likely to just smash the monster into pieces instead of going into a mental breakdown.

I'm probably making my case worse by pointing out how big of an understatement that is.