The Hierocracy

Ushumgallu

Question

So I know the last desolation was four and a half thousand years ago; but I'm trying to analyze Vorinism, and I cant remember an exact date for the fall of the Hierocracy and the formation of the ardentia.

Also, on a side note, are ardents forbidden from violence? It would seem logical, but Zahel did teach Dalinar how to fight, so I dunno. Any WoG on this?

Besides that, any reference frame for dating systems used on Roshar would be much appreciated. thanks!

Edited by Ushumgallu

8 answers to this question

The end of the Hierocracy was about 500 years ago. The coppermind covers it as well as the dating system: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Roshar#Calendar

Argent

In terms of timeline-- So The Way of Kings and The Stormlight Archive takes place 1173-74 right now, how far ago, approximately, was the Recreance?

Brandon Sanderson

So you-- Let's see-- Heralds leave at what, 4500?

Argent

That's what it says.

Brandon Sanderson

So the Heralds leave at 4500 and we're at 11--

Argent

So we are at 5500 years after--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. So Recreance is more recent than late.

Argent

So... In the thousands--

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to have to pull out the timeline.

Argent

But it's not like three hundred years ago.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not like three hundred years ago, but it's also not like 4000 years ago.

Argent

Okay, so from the middle--

Brandon Sanderson

The Hierocracy happened after and the Hierocracy was a couple hundred years ago. It's longer than that even, it's like five or six hundred years ago I think.

Footnote: Argent makes a small math mistake here, Aharietiem ended 4,500 years before the events of the book, not 4,500 years before the start of the calendar the Alethi use.
Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Edited by RShara

Ardents are not permitted to serve in any military or government capacity although those rules are somewhat bent sometimes.  Ardents are also in charge of helping individuals achieve their calling and so they act as educators so that citizens can exercise their divine right to learn and improve themselves.  Because many Alethi train for war many Ardents serve as coaches or trainers although they are neutral in military conflicts.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:11 PM, Karger said:

Ardents are not permitted to serve in any military or government capacity although those rules are somewhat bent sometimes.  Ardents are also in charge of helping individuals achieve their calling and so they act as educators so that citizens can exercise their divine right to learn and improve themselves.  Because many Alethi train for war many Ardents serve as coaches or trainers although they are neutral in military conflicts.

Although I think we can all agree Zahel is kinda a special case in this regard

#ReturnNightblood

4 hours ago, Impact said:

I know it's slightly off topic, but can ardents have families?  Kabsul mentions being allowed to court, and there are the two ardents on the Reshi Island

Ardents are only allowed to actually wed other Ardents(although due to vorinism's toleration of homosexuality they do not have to be a man and a women).  Otherwise an Ardent can usually leave the ardentia at any time to (like Kebsul suggested to keep his relationship with Shallan).

16 hours ago, Karger said:

Ardents are only allowed to actually wed other Ardents(although due to vorinism's toleration of homosexuality they do not have to be a man and a women).  Otherwise an Ardent can usually leave the ardentia at any time to (like Kebsul suggested to keep his relationship with Shallan).

Awesome, thank you.  I had noticed that some were wed and Kabsul talked of leaving, so I wasn't sure the rules