Something I noticed on my OB reread?

The Night Watcher

I was rereading chapter 32 of OB and guys...

Does it seem to anyone else like Jasnah's rejoining of the story felt kinda...skipped over? I think this whole arc would have been a very good window into Jasnah's character and her relationships with her family; i.e. it'd be real easy for Brandon to show she's not an emotionless slab of granite (cue Dalinar's mention of Momvani's and Jasnah's reunion), as so many readers seem to think. For such a sudden plot twist, Brandon really let it fall flat, which, as far as I've seen, is not like him. The only explanation is that this must be purposeful. Any thoughts?

I think it’s hard for him write in her POV right now because it would have to many spoilers. Jasnah has a lot of insight and knowledge that is plot critical and not common to the other characters. I think as we get further into the story we will get a lot more of her POV and hopefully get to know her better.

4 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

I was rereading chapter 32 of OB and guys...

Does it seem to anyone else like Jasnah's rejoining of the story felt kinda...skipped over? I think this whole arc would have been a very good window into Jasnah's character and her relationships with her family; i.e. it'd be real easy for Brandon to show she's not an emotionless slab of granite (cue Dalinar's mention of Momvani's and Jasnah's reunion), as so many readers seem to think. For such a sudden plot twist, Brandon really let it fall flat, which, as far as I've seen, is not like him. The only explanation is that this must be purposeful. Any thoughts?

I guess I'm 50/50 here? Jasnah's return was a larger moment in the story than it was for us readers, since we knew about it in WoR, so he probably glossed over it for us to skip the dramatic irony. And as others have said, at this point, Jasnah knows too much and Brandon doesn't want to reveal all of it yet. A brief summary by Dalinar, Shallan's thoughts and feelings on the matter, and then back to the plot. Would I have liked to see the meeting from Navani's point of view? Absolutely, but I understand why it wasn't included. 

19 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

For such a sudden plot twist, Brandon really let it fall flat, which, as far as I've seen, is not like him. The only explanation is that this must be purposeful. Any thoughts?

The shock value of the transfer out of Kholinar ending up in Shadesmar would have fallen flat if Jasnah had answered questions about how she escaped.

I definitely think it was purposeful. 

Jasnah isn't an emotionless slab, but we rarely get to see inside her head and when we do she's in full on conspiracy theory mode. We're meant to take the things that people say about her and put them together with her cold and calculating side and run with it. 

The moment at the end with Renarin would not have been nearly as powerful if people weren't expecting Jasnah to kill Renarin. You're supposed to expect her to put her emotions aside. 

Add in what's already been said about the potential for major spoilers from Jasnah PoV's, and that what was a surprise to the characters wasn't to us... And yeah. It's completely intentional. 

2 hours ago, WhiteEmporer said:

But if Brandon was holding back on Jasnah, it's probably because he is saving it for her POV book, which I think will be towards the end of the series. 

Sorry to inform you, it will be awhile~

Jasnah's Book 10 in the current plan

37 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

With book ten as Jasnah's flashback book, I assume it will be one big Sanderson-Avalanche from start to end with big revelations on every page.

The only other one of his works that match it in terms of length and number of POV characters that I’ve read is his conclusion of the Wheel of Time series. It was and indeed a full on avalanche and I can only imagine what it will be like for a series that was his from conception to completion.

11 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

With book ten as Jasnah's flashback book, I assume it will be one big Sanderson-Avalanche from start to end with big revelations on every page.

HA. Now, I'm excited about that. I read WoT years ago, so I only just now remembered the epic o-O face I made when I finished it. It'll be fun to have that experience again in 20 years.

11 hours ago, Calderis said:

I definitely think it was purposeful. 

Jasnah isn't an emotionless slab, but we rarely get to see inside her head and when we do she's in full on conspiracy theory mode. We're meant to take the things that people say about her and put them together with her cold and calculating side and run with it. 

The moment at the end with Renarin would not have been nearly as powerful if people weren't expecting Jasnah to kill Renarin. You're supposed to expect her to put her emotions aside. 

Add in what's already been said about the potential for major spoilers from Jasnah PoV's, and that what was a surprise to the characters wasn't to us... And yeah. It's completely intentional. 

To this:

I didn't think much about the spoiler piece of it. Probably because I didn't know Jasnah was cued in for the end. (Best for last sucks, by the way.) Also, I'm a bit confused about your last bit. First you said the scene with Renarin would not be powerful if people [readers, I assume] weren't expecting her to kill Renarin. But then you said what was surprising to the characters wasn't to us. Are you talking about two different things here? Or is this just my brain on 4 hours of sleep?

• Chaos locked this topic