Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ammanas

Alita Battle Angel

10 posts in this topic

I absolutely loved this movie! The visuals were breathtaking, I felt that the love story was well done, and it flowed really well. Their were only a couple of  problems for me. I felt like it was a big story that they tried to cram to much in; for the most part it worked but there were a few parts I wish they would explore more in depth. The source material is coming from a manga. The story doesn't end in a cliff hanger, but it just sort of feels like a pause in the story. There is so much more that needs to happen and be resolved. It kind of feels similar to The Way of Kings if that paints a better picture for you. There is still the war and a ton of other stuff that needs to be resolved in Stormlight Archives.

Evidently the movie isn't doing as well as expected and the sequel might not happen. I will probably be checking out the manga anyways so I will be getting the ending one way or another. I haven't been this floored by a movie since I saw Along with the Gods. 

This is a thread for anyone wanting to discuss the movie.

Edited by Ammanas

Yes!!! I absolutely loved this movie when I went to go see it. I agree with you on the ending, and that the story felt a little fast paced, but I feel that the fast story added to the movie as much as it detracted from it. What was your favorite scene?

Probably when she enters into the bounty hunter bar and nobody takes her seriously (at first) and then all the craziness that happened afterwards. The scene that I can picture most clearly though is the final scene as she stands on the edge of that dropoff, lifting her flaming sword up to the sky in challenge as the crowd chants her name.

I have a few other books to check off, but after that I am signing up for Kindle Comixoligy. First month is free and then $4.99/month afterwards I can read the Alita Battle Angel original series and two sequel series. I really want to see how it ends.

What was your favorite scene?

I've heard that the comics are really violent and gory, but still pretty good. My favorite scene is probably when she is playing the rigged motorball game and destroys all of the assorted hunters and criminals they have lined up. Super cool type of fight scene. What do you think of the style they did it in? I personally thought that the CGI was really well done.

Edited by T8*

The movie definitely looked great.  It seemed more natural looking than a lot of other movies that employ a lot of CGI. 

Definitely. What did you think of the character of Alita? I personally thought it was really well done, and her backstory was a great mystery and turned out to be really interesting. There were some parts when I thought she was a little bit too childish though. 

I think thats part of what makes her so interesting though. In some respects she is a battle hardened warrior, but in other ways she's acts like a naive 8 year old. A scene I liked in the movie was when she was talking to her boyfriend and when she realized that he needed money she literally offered to sell her heart for money. It was the act of someone with little life experience, but also one that is pure from the corruption of the world. She's almost like two people; the newborn and the one who has natural instinct for violence.

Definitely. I certainly enjoyed that aspect even if it some parts seemed a bit too much, and it made it quite interesting. I had lots of feelings when this basically child started fighting like a professional killer. It added an aspect to the movie of near attachment to preserving that child that was just stunning.

I liked the movie too, though I wish they had finished the story. I'm afraid it won't do well enough at the box office for them to make a sequel, and we'll never know the ending. I hope I'm wrong - if there is a sequel, I'll definitely see it.

The first cyborg body Alita had was so (I'll say it) pretty - it really made you feel the love that the Doc character had for his daughter in making it for her.

I had never read the manga story or seen the anime or other versions, so the plot twists were new to me and IMO they were good.

Looking back over this and other recent movies (Mortal Engines, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc.), the part I've felt was weak was the worldbuilding. But then again, Brandon spoils us. 25-30 years ago, all these stories would have seemed more amazing than they do now - our expectations especially as Sander-fans are just much higher today.

An extremely beautiful movie. The visuals were extremely striking and I found that the fight choreography was well-designed and put together. You can see how the character and art designers put a lot of work into creating such a visually striking world with characters all having fairly subtle nuances to their design. The robotics were very impressive too with regards to the CGI.

Other than that though I found it to be a bit of a late-down. The romance was pretty ham-fisted and the story moved so quickly and in such leaps and bounds that most character progression wasn't viewed during the progression, just the outcomes at certain specific milestones. Also I found the ending to be kind of anti-climatic since it was just her beating down a bunch of disparate barriers which presented themselves to her, not actual barriers the story organically built up for him to run down.

I did go and read the original manga and compared to the movie, I'd say the story was a lot better there with some small changes actually changing how certain key scenes presented themselves.