Renaming the Wheel of Time Covers

The Tenth Pancake

So recently I have been checking out the wheel of Time books from my school library I just can't get over the fact that all these covers really, really, really, suck! Especially book 6! It looks like a really bad pulp romance novel and Rand (or at least I think it's him, but he looks like a 40 year old man) has a chest that is three times the ratio of his waist. :wacko: and what's with the Chuck a Rama wagon on the cover of Shadows Rising?! 

Anyway, the point is, it looks way weird for me to roam the halls of junior high with a brick of a novel that looks like gone with the wind gone wrong. And idk, it's funny to show off such a bad cover hahaha! Most people in general who I've shown it to get a kick out of them,  including me. And so in honor of these art monstrosities, I have renamed book six (with help from those who have never read it) to be "Back at it Again with Mike and Susan" just cuz the names got the people on the cover too well. 

And since I just started book 7, I have renamed the cover: "Home Fitness Routines with Chuck Simmons" 

The person in the front looks like  Chuck Norris. You're welcome. Now you can't unsee it. (Also what's with his crazy wide 90 degree angle elbow?)

Reply below with your cover renamings!

51BVcrOxeDL._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1550945643697236103487.jpg

1550945681454585417793.jpg

Amusingly, people have been having fun with this for a long time. The venerable Wheel of Time FAQ made fun of the covers, or at least the earlier ones since they get better later on. It titled Lord of Chaos' cover 'The Passion of the Aes Sedai' for pretty much the exact reasons you noticed. :D

Have a look here

Edited by Weltall

• 2 weeks later...

I was always so embarrassed to carry Lord of Chaos around when I was reading it in high school. :D

The Dragkhar makes it look like some kind of vampire romance novel. "Lord of Twilight"? How you take Dumai's Wells and turn it into that, I'll never know! :D

Crown of Swords looks like it's inspired by 80s heavy metal. "Crowns N' Swords"?

I was carrying these around and I covered the covers almost all the time because the art was so bad. It looked like a bad romance written in the 1970s by a lonely housewife desperate for adventure. I am petitioning to rename LoC to "Disproportionate Men In Loose Shirts Flexing In Front of Swooning Ladies". And Moraine(?) serving the others tea on TSR makes no sense. She had them serving her tea in the first few books. 

I have a vague recollection of people talking about "Disco Rand" in Sweet's provisional cover art for The Gathering Storm.  (His final cover art was significantly improved.)  Warning: The provisional cover art features a minor spoiler (another reason it was changed).

Spoiler

TGS.thumb.jpg.dcfb3066a49ed3882814a699a8ef11cc.jpg

I like the ebook "covers" they put out after Brandon started working on the series.  These even helped me overcome my initial reluctance to use an ereader back in the day.  (No spoilers here, just reducing the size of the post.)

Spoiler

eye.jpg.bcd83f73d45429e3df5dac6a0d75149c.jpg        shadow.jpg.6031eac709c5b6e48e2a9f854aabcce9.jpg

Edited by Just a Lifetime
Add scarequotes

Disco Rand makes me want to puke!

Full Wheel of Time Renaming

1. Why Ride a Warhorse When You Could Ride A Gentle Pony
  2. Wierd Fashion Statements
  3. Guys Look I Have a Sword!
  4. We're In The Desert So Let's Ride A Giant Ornate Wagon
  5. Oh Hey Look an Abandoned City
  6. Disproportionate Men in Oversized Shirts
  7. Flex on Them Haters
  8. CHAARRRGGGEEE
  9. Oh Look Snow Let's Play
  10. Tuon is Literally a Toddler
  11. There is a Map and It Looks Important
  12. LET'S YELL AT THE CLOUDS
  13. To Vandalize Towers
  14. Guys Look I Have a Sword! The Sequel

Somebody, please redo these as trashy romance. 

On 3/18/2019 at 4:12 AM, Just a Lifetime said:

I have a vague recollection of people talking about "Disco Rand" in Sweet's provisional cover art for The Gathering Storm.

Wow, that's bad! :D

I NEVER noticed that the final version has the same spoiler, sort of! It's much more subtle, but it's there if you know what you're looking for. Guess I just never spent much time looking closely at those covers.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:12 AM, Just a Lifetime said:

I like the ebook "covers" they put out after Brandon started working on the series.

I love all of these EXCEPT Eye of the World. So unfortunately that they did all of them so well except for the FIRST... Looks like you've picked up Treasure Island or something. :D

1 minute ago, Jofwu said:

Wow, that's bad! :D

I NEVER noticed that the final version has the same spoiler, sort of! It's much more subtle, but it's there if you know what you're looking for. Guess I just never spent much time looking closely at those covers.

I love all of these EXCEPT Eye of the World. So unfortunately that they did all of them so well except for the FIRST... Looks like you've picked up Treasure Island or something. :D

The original Eye of the World cover, no matter how inaccurate, is still one of my favorite WoT covers

9 minutes ago, BookishOcelot said:

Wait. I just learned that it is Rand on all the covers. I thought A Crown of Swords and Lord of Chaos had  Perrin on the front. Would it have been that hard to give Rand red hair? And normal arms? And you know, make him look the same on every cover?

I gave up on trying to Identify characters on the cover after TDR...

But, to give Sweet's covers some credit, I actually quite enjoy most of the backgrounds. CoS has an excellent depiction of Shadar Logoth.

Also as far as My canon depictions are concerned:

Dan Dos Santos' Moiraine is Moiraine.

Rand is either Michael Whelan's Rand, or the one on the more recent Winter's Heart.

Perrin on the New Towers of Midnight

Mat is Sweet's depiction