If you could give them anything...

Kelsier'sGodComplex

So, I was reading OB, and my most common thought reading it, was I just want Kaladin to be happy... And that got me thinking. 

If you could, what would you give the characters of Stormlight Archive. A horse for Kaladin, or maybe boots? A new sketch book for Shallan? Also, what would you want to be given to you from the characters? 

Edited by Kelsier'sGodComplex

38 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

A good night's sleep for Kaladin.

Also, a whole bunch of psychotherapists for Roshar.

I was gonna say therapists, but you beat me to it! Other than that...maybe I'd give Bondsmith Dalinar a book on tactics and Navani a book on technology. And Rock I'd probably just give him Gordon Ramsay.

1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

I'd give them all materials on self-care and mental illness. Pretty well all of them need it.

Would they work? How much does a Nahel Bond change the mental state of a human being? For that matter would Stormlight treat medication as poison and undo the effect?

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Would they work? How much does a Nahel Bond change the mental state of a human being? For that matter would Stormlight treat medication as poison and undo the effect?

I don't see why psychotherapy/CBT/whatever therapy techniques wouldn't work, even if Stormlight messed with medication. They wouldn't have the materials or technology to produce medication the way we do anyway.

7 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

I don't see why psychotherapy/CBT/whatever therapy techniques wouldn't work, even if Stormlight messed with medication.

For the same reason Kaladin's scar does not go away. The mental illness would become part of the sufferer's sense of self.

36 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

For the same reason Kaladin's scar does not go away. The mental illness would become part of the sufferer's sense of self.

I think that their lack of knowledge of mental illness would help them here: Kal doesn’t identify as being depressed, nor Shallan as having multiple identities. They don’t cognitively envision themselves as such, which means they aren’t part of the sense of self. In other words, the illnesses have not become identities, but probably more so because they are unaware that they even could be such. 

Edited by Bliev

33 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I think negative self-perception is one of the things therapy is designed to address. And, healing in general doesn't seem to interact with mental health at all anyway.

@Kelsier'sGodComplex I mean, this is an interesting theory, that Yanagawn or Navani might end up becoming Radaints, but they were not included under the blanket name of Knights Radiant on the Part Five page. The list says The Knights Radiant, Ash, Navani, Adolin, Taravangian, Yanagawn, and some others. So, that doesn't mean they can't become Radiants later, but they were not Radiants at the time of Part Five.

9 hours ago, Sedside said:

I'd give Jasnah the Internet.

She wouldn't be able to end the current Desolation because she'd be too busy correcting everyone.

43 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I would give Moash a one way trip to the bottom of the river in cement boots and heavy steel cuffs.

But he can lash now, so it wouldn't work.

Next time they all had a meeting, I'd send a box of sky eels for Jasnah and a box of mink kits for Kaladin. Jasnah would run around happily with her new pets on leashes; Adolin would end up cuddling the mink kits until he got finally Kaladin to admit that, yes, they were actually adorable, and hold one; Shallan would furiously try to draw everything; Renarin would hide off to the side smiling; and Dalinar would facepalm.

Anyway, that's how it would all go down in my head.

7 hours ago, Bliev said:

I think that their lack of knowledge of mental illness would help them here: Kal doesn’t identify as being depressed, nor Shallan as having multiple identities. They don’t cognitively envision themselves as such, which means they aren’t part of the sense of self. In other words, the illnesses have not become identities, but probably more so because they are unaware that they even could be such. 

Kaladin may not recognize his depression as an illness but he almost certainly identifies himself with the feelings we call depression.

9 hours ago, Karger said:

Kaladin may not recognize his depression as an illness but he almost certainly identifies himself with the feelings we call depression.

We have a question for Brandon at a signing now! :-)

”would anti depressants work on Kaladin, or are those emotions too strongly intertwined with his self identity to be healed?”