Possible Knights Radiant

Mailnaise

So about two days ago, I finished my OB reread. 

Oh, how I love that book. But to the theory...

In Part 5, one of the "viewpoints" is the Knights Radiant as a whole. In the actual chapters the perspective changes every couple paragraphs pretty much, but anytime there is a chapter with a picture of the KR symbol at the beginning, it includes all of our known Knights, as well as... 

Navani and Yanagawn of Azir. 

My theory is that these two people will be become Knight Radiants, possibly in the near future. (I'm a little iffy on Yanagawn, because the passage was kinda showcasing Lift, but anyways...). In the other chapters, if there are any other viewpoints besides the KRs and these two, there is a different symbol in the beginning of the chapter. Maybe I missed one that would ruin the pattern, but I feel pretty confident.

So, do you think Brandon was trying to hint that these two, especially Navani would become Radiant? Corrections welcome.^_^

Navani was a candidate for a while on here when discussing about future Bondsmiths, with some people arguing that her fabrial building and facilitating discover would lead to her bonding with the Sibling or the Nightwatcher. Others have suggested that she might become some form of Radiant (I think I heard Willshaper at one point).

I don't think Yanagawn is in a position to become a Radiant. He doesn't seem like he'd fit readily into any of the categories yet. Maybe something will happen to distinguish him to the spren at some point later, but I think that section was really just a way to give more details on Lift from another perspective.

Yeah, Navani has been widely speculated as a future Bondsmith, personally I don't like that idea so much as many other people do, because I think the Bondsmiths should come from disparate cultures in order to help unite different people, and having two of them be a married couple is redundant. I could see her as some other kind of Radiant though, and Willshaper seems like a decent guess.

I pretty sure Navani's next Ideal is going to be "I will Bring Order from the Chaos."  In her POV scene during the council meeting in OB Ch 96, she kept repeating "Order from Chaos" to herself like a Mantra.

Another often mentioned favorite candidate for a Bondsmith is Rlain. 

55 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Another often mentioned favorite candidate for a Bondsmith is Rlain. 

That is an extremely risky move with respect to the image of the Knights Radiant.
They are dangerously close to a Kholin family business and definitely much too Vorin. A Bondsmith from western Roshar looks like a political necessity to me.
As for Navani, she is an engineer more than a scholar, hence Dustbringer of Willshaper, if it comes to that. Not everybody can be or needs to be a Surgebinder.

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That is an extremely risky move with respect to the image of the Knights Radiant.
They are dangerously close to a Kholin family business and definitely much too Vorin. A Bondsmith from western Roshar looks like a political necessity to me.
As for Navani, she is an engineer more than a scholar, hence Dustbringer of Willshaper, if it comes to that. Not everybody can be or needs to be a Surgebinder.

Im not sure I your objection to Rlain?  A Parshendi Bondsmith would hardly be making more of a Kholin dynasty, and is about as far as you can possibly get from Vorinism.

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Im not sure I your objection to Rlain?  A Parshendi Bondsmith would hardly be making more of a Kholin dynasty, and is about as far as you can possibly get from Vorinism.

Large numbers of people still don't trust the Knights Radiant. For now they can be seen as an Alethi power grab. Adding a Voidbringer to its leaders won't help. You really need Azish or Shin representatives. Especially as we do not know how many Bondsmiths we will get.

1 minute ago, Oltux72 said:

Large numbers of people still don't trust the Knights Radiant. For now they can be seen as an Alethi power grab. Adding a Voidbringer to its leaders won't help. You really need Azish or Shin representatives. Especially as we do not know how many Bondsmiths we will get.

We'll get a max of three Bondsmiths. I really can get behind the idea of a Singers'/Listeners' Bondsmith. Rlain is not a Voidbringer (I get what you mean, he is in the eyes of many humans). It won't be enough to unite the human kingdoms/countries. At least some of the Parsh will want to fight Odium. It would help if they had a Bondsmith. 

As much as I grew to like Navani, I don't want her to bond the Sibling. Although it is quite fitting, I am in camp "Please no Bondsmith Kholin Powerhouse".

2 minutes ago, equinox said:

We'll get a max of three Bondsmiths. I really can get behind the idea of a Singers'/Listeners' Bondsmith. Rlain is not a Voidbringer (I get what you mean, he is in the eyes of many humans). It won't be enough to unite the human kingdoms/countries. At least some of the Parsh will want to fight Odium. It would help if they had a Bondsmith. 

As much as I grew to like Navani, I don't want her to bond the Sibling. Although it is quite fitting, I am in camp "Please no Bondsmith Kholin Powerhouse".

I agree with you on both of these points. 

I think it would be a great character arc for Rlain if he became a Bondsmith. I think Dalinar's "unite them" includes the Singers, (not the Fused, the singers), so having a Singer bondsmith would be very beneficial, and I like how there's a bit of symmetry of it. That's also why I don't want Navani to become a Bondsmith. Uniting can't just come from one party. I firmly believe she will become a KR, but I really don't think she'll go down the Bondsmith route. 

5 minutes ago, Mailnaise said:

I think Dalinar's "unite them" includes the Singers, (not the Fused, the singers), so having a Singer bondsmith would be very beneficial, and I like how there's a bit of symmetry of it.

It won't do Dalinar any good if he gets some Parshendi on his side at the cost of losing the humans of western Roshar.

2 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

It won't do Dalinar any good if he gets some Parshendi on his side at the cost of losing the humans of western Roshar.

Nobody ever said "unite them" is gonna be easy.

I agree with @Mailnaise here, I'm 100% sure "unite them" means humans and listeners. Will be hard, but hey, when has "ending Desolations" ever been easy?

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Except currently 100% of the bondsmiths are Vorin and no one in western Roshar (past Azir) is in the alliance. Unless the Bondsmith is going to be so awesome they single handedly convert their country, there is no need for non-Vorin bondsmiths.

I feel like more Vorin Bondsmiths are likely purely because of current Vorin activities, they're the only ones currently fighting the Desolation. 

I could see someone from Iri/Rira bonding the Sibling if it turns out to be Cusicesh, but even that I'm not convinced.

I think it is more likely that the Bondsmiths will represent different types of people/profession than race.

Dalinar, general. Navani, scholar etc. 

Just a reminder, Dalinar got excommunicated so he is no longer "Vorin", so currently there are no Vorin Bondsmiths. 

edit: oh also to add it seems the "main" followers of Vorinism is Jah Keved and Alethkar. Thayla pays token allegiance and still holds to the passions, and the Azir largely ignore the religion in favor of the Prime Aquaix (or however you spell it). So the only people to me that would really have an issue with it are the Alethi, which are now being led by an atheist Queen Jasnah. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Also, I think the nationality (whether or not a nation fights the Desolation) or religious affiliation do not matter to Spren in their "Radiant selection process". We know many Radiants from Vorin Kingdoms as the story started there. But we've seen others (mainly in the interludes). Unfortunately, not all of them survived Name. I think we will see more of Roshar in the next books an meet new non-Vorin Radiants.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Im with what others have said, I think that the Unite Them mandate is going to have to include the Singers.  And I think that theme of getting past old racial divides is already a very big theme, from Rlain and Bridge Four, to Venli as a Radiant, and even to Renarin binding a Voidspren.  

This conversation seems to have gone far into the Navani theories and ignored the juicy piece of speculation that is Yanagawn. We know that Knights have squires (see where squires of Kal/Shallan for obvious examples).. we know that he hangs out with lift a lot. And we have a WoB that Knights seem to cluster together around other Knights cuz spren are attracted by the Knights already there. It could very easily be argued Yanagawn is a squire to lift at the moment and will be an edgedancer... I would quite like that actually given he was made King for 'performing the miracle of regrowth'. It would be pretty cool if he eventually can actually do it, as if in that moment he were an incipient Knight...

@ND103 I really like that idea! I could totally see that happening. It seems like Yanagawn is being set up to grow as a person and as a king, and that he will be pretty important in the back half as an adult. You're right that he's more likely to be chosen because he's hanging around Lift, and I'd argue that he's even more likely to get chosen because he's a king in the coalition.

I'm also way on board with Rlain as Bondsmith, but I also think that we will need an antagonistic Bondsmith. Ishar seems to be setting up for that role, maybe he will bond one of the other two big spren. I think a showdown between Dalinar and Ishar is inevitable anyway, and it would be amazing if Ishar was an Bondsmith with full powers as well. 

I don't know if I want Navani to become a radiant. I really like her right now, as is. 

I also think that the apothecary from Way of Kings will turn out to be a Lightweaver. I'm not letting go of that theory. 

Edited by Ciridae

I am already on record as being 100 percent on board with Rlain as a Bondsmith.

Yanagawn as a squire and later Edgedancer in his own right would be interesting, to be sure though we don't know that much about him as a person.

I also think Rysn could be a Willshaper (though if it does happen I'd like it to be WITHOUT healing her disability).

Edited by CrazyRioter

27 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

I also think Rysn could be a Willshaper (though if it does happen I'd like it to be WITHOUT healing her disability).

Her disability is permanent. She went to Renarin to try to get him to heal her and it failed. It's part of her now, and I don't think even her being able to Light herself up it would heal.

I think that for Rysn to swear the oaths without recovering her legs it would have to be after she's already spent a long time in the Wandersail, after she accepts she doesn't need to walk to see the world.

Edited by Eluvianii

1 hour ago, ND103 said:

This conversation seems to have gone far into the Navani theories and ignored the juicy piece of speculation that is Yanagawn. We know that Knights have squires (see where squires of Kal/Shallan for obvious examples).. we know that he hangs out with lift a lot. And we have a WoB that Knights seem to cluster together around other Knights cuz spren are attracted by the Knights already there. It could very easily be argued Yanagawn is a squire to lift at the moment and will be an edgedancer... I would quite like that actually given he was made King for 'performing the miracle of regrowth'. It would be pretty cool if he eventually can actually do it, as if in that moment he were an incipient Knight...

That's a really cool idea! I'd be interested in seeing it! 

Maybe he'd work well as a Lightweaver? Help the thief/false leader become the real leader? I could see it as a sort of Elhokar 2.0 kind of thing. Like Dalinar is trying to help Gawx become the ruler he officially is while Navani wants to protect him like she couldn't Elhokar, and both learn to accept that Gawx isn't Elhokar. Idk just spit-balling here. 

1 minute ago, Eluvianii said:

I think that for Rysn to swear the oaths without recovering her legs it would have to be after she's already spent a long time in the Wandersail, after she accepts she doesn't need to walk to see the world.

Or she could ride Chiri-Chiri once the Larkin gets big enough! Get her some shards and you've got a Rosharan Knight! 

(...I also have a side theory that Larkin are Dawnshards but that's neither here nor there)

23 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

(...I also have a side theory that Larkin are Dawnshards but that's neither here nor there)

Larkin are the juvenile form of the Lanceryn with Lanceryn being the supposedly extinct Aimian greatshells.

I guess Larkin/Lanceryn could be the Dawnshards, but Dawshards definitely sounds like it refers to an inanimate object.

2 minutes ago, Jace21 said:

Larkin are the juvenile form of the Lanceryn with Lanceryn being the supposedly extinct Aimian greatshells.

I guess Larkin/Lanceryn could be the Dawnshards, but Dawshards definitely sounds like it refers to an inanimate object.

I mean, so did Shardblade until we learned where they came from. Anyways it's a tinfoil theory so I wouldn't put the chances of it being true very high ;)

37 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I mean, so did Shardblade until we learned where they came from. Anyways it's a tinfoil theory so I wouldn't put the chances of it being true very high ;)

I would say they still are, but I see your point.

The lost nature of the Dawnshards fits the extinction of the Lanceryn though, so its possible.