Renarin in Way of Kings Prime

Renarin gets some love (or, er, disdain from Elhokar) in the newly released teaser from Way of Kings Prime. 

http://brandonsanderson.com/want-to-join-bridge-four-the-altered-perceptions-anthology-final-week-drive/

There's a bit more of Elhokar being mean to poor Renarin in the chapters that will be in the Altered Perception anthology. I'm sure that will go over well around these parts.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

I thought Eredor was Adolin, hence the references to "his son" Fighting.

Eredor might be Adolin, but Renarin was there:

“Renarin? The boy couldn’t duel a blind woman.”

“He’s well-practiced at tactics,” Dalenar said stiffly. 

Renarin, what in the name of the Thoughtgiver are you doing?

He was present and on the battlefield.

Edit: correction Eredor can't be Adolin, Dalenar had only one son in the prime. Adolin was created later to voice Dalinar's concern towards his visions.

Edited by Aleksiel

Eredor might be Adolin, but Renarin was there:

He was present and on the battlefield.

Edit: correction Eredor can't be Adolin, Dalenar had only one son in the prime. Adolin was created later to voice Dalinar's concern towards his visions.

Actually he did exist, he just didn't have viewpoints, Brandon added those later to move concern over Dalinar's sanity outside of himself but as Peter's post says he is there, just under a different name.

Also, who wants to bet the man in blue towards the end is a certain darkeyed fellow?

Actually he did exist, he just didn't have viewpoints, Brandon added those later to move concern over Dalinar's sanity outside of himself but as Peter's post says he is there, just under a different name.

I thought he was a completely new character added later on.

Was Meridas a merchant, because it seem so to me, Dalenar refers to him as such, but then why would he be on the battlefield and have a spear?

Wow, reading all the different names was really interesting! Also, Renarin good at tactics but not so great at execution, that sounds a lot like him, darling. Elhokar seems more impulsive and petty in this little section, while those are still attributes of his, the final draft has tempered it down a lot, and I appreciate that. Meridas is Amaram's first name in SA right now, isn't it? That's interesting to consider as well.

I have to say, as a writer, I really have to appreciate Brandon releasing early draft stuff like this. I know writers like artists are often really protective and not proud of their early work and don't like people reading it, but honestly, it's very inspiring to see these kinds of drafts. Are they rougher and less polished? Absolutely. And yet, the idea that Brandon has improved so much in his writing style and pacing and characterization and everything gives people like me hope that if we just keep practicing, we can improve too.

It's so refreshed to read the early draft! It feels like a quite different story. Renarin in battle and without Adolin being there? Wow. I believe the last fellow we see is our captain :D Is that Prallan Parshendi?

I like the change from Dalenar to Dalinar.  It's a small thing, but it changes the way I read his name; Day'len'arr (with a long a vowel in the first syllable) as opposed to Dal'en'arr (short a vowel in first syllable.)  I also really like the seeming change from Prallan to Parshendi, but that's for two meta reasons that may not exist in Version Prime.  First, that's really similar to Shallan's name.  Second, and related, it's moderately close to a Vorin naming scheme, rather than something fairly unique to them as a race.  While Parshendi could easily be the name of someone in other fiction, it's dramatically different from the Vorin norm, and so sets them apart a great deal.

Edit: It seemed to me that Meridas is a councilor to the king, and a merchant.  Huge changes to the character if that really was the start of Amaram.  And I'm left wondering if Sebariel picked up any of that, as well.  If that was Amaram, just imagine what that could mean for Book 3!  Definitely seems like the type of guy that Elhokar would hang out with, even (especially?) if Dalinar disapproved.

And to echo Feather, it's really super awesome nice to see early drafts of stories, especially ones that have seen substantial changes from start to end.  What Brandon posted is, to pat my own back, better than my post-revision/editing efforts of writing stories, but still in the same league; it's not like my high school football team vs. the Seattle Seahawks comparison that generally occurs.  Being able to see his writing improve with literally every book he writes is also amazing (I mean, because I love his writing, and I love good authors, and he just keeps getting better, so it's win freaking win).  Seeing the process helps to remind us that time, dedication, and effort can see drastically improved results.  It...it can get hard, being stuck inside your own stories and unable to see that clearly, and the little reminders go a very long ways. 

Edited by kaellok

Ditto Feather and kaellok, I love that Brandon shows us past drafts, it really helps to see that books really aren't written perfect first off.

On the naming front, Alethi were also Aleth, and I definitely like the extra letter. It somehow balances the name out.

I wonder about this Thoughtgiver... it makes me think of the Stormfather.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Nightwatcher - it kind of matches a theory going round a while ago that she influences mental aspects/perceptions of a person. Also, Dalinar thinks it and we know he's been to the Nightwatcher, so there's that aspect too.

It's very interesting that Renarin (it seems from a whole couple hundred words!) was more central than Adolin at that point. I wonder if Adolin took on some of his aspects when he became a POV character, or whether everything just changed in between Prime and the actual published version (do we have one word for that? WoK Canon?).

Does this mean in Prime, Kaladin took the Shards in Dalinar's army? I......both do and don't want to read that story. It's just so weird and different. Plus, I mean, it obviously didn't work, which is why the actual book was so drastically changed.

Edited by Delightful

It's very interesting that Renarin (it seems from a whole couple hundred words!) was more central than Adolin at that point. I wonder if Adolin took on some of his aspects when he became a POV character, or whether everything just changed in between Prime and the actual published version (do we have one word for that? WoK Canon?).

We know Brandon added Adolin POV at the very end as he thought it would give better insight to Dalinar's visions. I think Adolin may have changed from the original canevas as Brandon started writing him out. Most likely he was not a character he intended to flesh out greatly, but he got caught up with it.

I assume Renarin fitted better as a counterpart to Adolin if he did not have any field experience, so I assume this is why it was removed.

• Chaos locked this topic