The Remaining(6 Shards)

Karger

Some pertinent WoB

yulerule [PENDING REVIEW]

So, we have Shard names; Ruin, Preservation, Harmony, Cultivation, Honor, Autonomy, Devotion, Dominion. Those are pretty much regular English words. And then we have Odium. That's a little more Latinic. It doesn't fit the pattern.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I don't really look as something as Latinic or Germanic, when I'm picking the names usually.

But this one is more. Even in Devotion or Dominion, there's more regular English. Why?

I just look for the thing that feels right. Remember, all these words are in translation. When you read the book, they were a word in the original language of the book, that then we have translated to English. And so, don't look to much about what's Greek, what's Latin, what's Germanic. I will mix those a lot. And that's just because I'm looking for the word that has right resonance in English, that I'm writing in. You might even find Latin and Greek mixes in some of my stuff. And that's not done to be like, "Oh, you should be paying [attention]." Usually, I'm just looking for a flavor.

*inaudible*

Because Odium is cooler. It just sounds cooler. There is no answer other than "I like the word better."

Is there any connection with the thought that it's not Hatred? Because in Oathbringer, he says he's Passion?

He would claim that he's Passion and not Odium. But that is part of why I chose it. Hatred felt too on-the-nose, because there is quite arguably that step toward just being all Passion, and that's what he claims that he is.

His own perception of himself, can that influence?

Yes, it can influence.

So the Shard's intent can...

Can be influenced by their perception and the holder's, yes.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

About the Passions. Are they related to Odium, or is there something bigger cosmere-wide?

They are related to traditions from the past that were Odium-influenced. I wouldn't sya-- So, they are technically related to Odium in that sort of method. More in a roundabout way, though.

16 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

How about 

Anonymity As a Shard?

Don’t have time to explain, I have to be at a concert. I’ll explain later.

Not sure why an all powerful deity would have anonymity as an important part of their personality 

On 5/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, Inky said:

Not sure why an all powerful deity would have anonymity as an important part of their personality 

Well, it’s because so many people (both in real life and the Cosmere) see god as unknowable, and because Vin says something about “Anonymity” and how it is a way of life when she is talking to OreSeur in WoA, and also it is capitalized when she says it. Probably because it’s the beginning of a sentence, but with Brandon, that doesn’t mean that we should completely ignore it. Also, the "Survival" Shard, which wants to "hide and survive" might fit well with Anonymity.  

Edited by Ethan_Sedai

He bears the weight of God’s own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context.

Remember people, these are Divine Attributes not just words from a dictionary.  Anonymity, along with being yet another starting with the letter A, is not Divine in the slightest. You might be mixing it up with something like Mystery which admittedly, would be sick.  The last reasonable suggestion otherwise I've heard is Purity, dunno where from. 

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon (paraphrased)

There is a shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

On 5/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Raykoda said:

Remember people, these are Divine Attributes not just words from a dictionary.  Anonymity, along with being yet another starting with the letter A, is not Divine in the slightest. You might be mixing it up with something like Mystery which admittedly, would be sick.  The last reasonable suggestion otherwise I've heard is Purity, dunno where from. 

yes, but some would argue (although it might just be me...) that Being Anonymous is a Divine Attribute, Because if it weren't, I don't think humans would have so many religions...

That might just be me being weird, though...

1 hour ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

yes, but some would argue (although it might just be me...) that Being Anonymous is a Divine Attribute, Because if it weren't, I don't think humans would have so many religions...

That might just be me being weird, though...

I would think that multiple religions would be covered by the fact that there is multiple Shards in the first place.  Or Autonomy.  Either one.

3 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

I would think that multiple religions would be covered by the fact that there is multiple Shards in the first place.  Or Autonomy.  Either one.

I kind of meant in real life...

10 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I vote for Humor as a shard! Can't be all heavy and meaningful and serious now, can it?

It is why Hoid makes so many snarky jokes all of the time. They allow him to draw power from the Shard of Humor.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, Nathrangking said:

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon (paraphrased)

There is a shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

It is going to be Prudence.

• Chaos locked this topic