The Remaining(6 Shards)

Karger

Hmm... I think that we have the rest of the shards as follows:

Ingenuity-WoB

Chaos- Opposes ingenuity

Depression- An emotion that no shard has really related too, it would make for a heartbreaking story, but probably a really cool ending!

Hope- Also a really cool book could be made out of this, kinda an essential characteristic for a god, maybe in the same book as Depression

Love- Maybe a synonym, is definitely a god characteristic, so I feel like this would be Odium's counterpart

Survival- this would make a really cool book, a shard who is the base will to survive in everyone

As far as I can see, all the shards are forces that a creator god should value and work with.  The problems come from the fact that they should all be together, tempering one another, but instead each is held by a different person.  The only exception being Harmony, who is the most balanced of them all.  Without them to balance each other their force gets taken too far, and I feel like the names for the shards are sometimes meant to point more to what happens when the force is taken too far rather than naming the force itself.  That’s not always the case, but sometimes.  I say force for the lack of a better word.  A lot of it is cognitive and or spiritual, so the forces can be pretty abstract.

Stability leads to stagnation (preservation).  

Entropy destroys everything (ruin).  

Love leads to obsession (devotion).  

Order leads to rigidity (dominion).  (I could see this as a different force, but we know very little about dominion.)

Growth leads to chaos (cultivation).

Generosity leads to inequality? (Endowment) (I feel like generosity is the right force here, but not sure how to express its downside.)

Integrity leads to robot like life (honor).  (I know that isn’t worded well, but I couldn’t think of a good word for it.)

Independence leads to loneliness (autonomy).

Desire leads to strife (ambition). (Again, we know very little about this shard.)

Passion leads to hatred (odium).

A number of the shards are very similar forces but are just done a little differently.

So that brings the question to what are other forces and what could they lead to.

I could see a force like curiosity or intelligence leading to a shard like Enlightenment, Wisdom, or Remorse.  Any of those could conceivably be the ‘survival shard’.

Edited by Chromium Compounder

17 hours ago, Lightblood said:

We do know that there is a survival shard. Or a shard that just wants to survive Odiums onslaught. Brandon has mentioned him in WoB before. But we don't know if his intent is survival or if thats just a by product

The "Survival Shard" was already mentioned earlier in the thread, and it was pointed out that we do, in fact, know that the desire to survive is tangential to the intent of the Shard.  

On 2/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, Weltall said:
On 2/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, teknopathetic said:

That could be the shard that just wants to hide, since it doesn't want to cause more harm. 

Brandon has said that the intent of the shard is only tangentially related to it's wanting to hide and survive. So something like Wisdom would be more likely.

19 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Love- Maybe a synonym, is definitely a god characteristic, so I feel like this would be Odium's counterpart

This is literally what Devotion already is; Brandon's confirmed it's a synonym for Love. Just like Odium was originally 'Hatred' but he changed it because Odium sounded cooler.

Survival- this would make a really cool book, a shard who is the base will to survive in everyone

If the Shard that just wants to survive and hide doesn't have an intent of 'Survival' the odds that another Shard has that intent are... not good. See the post just above this one.

Edited by Weltall

I like the idea that the Intents of Shards are along the lines of characteristics of a god. Some ideas already said that I like are Ingenuity, Compassion, and something related to knowledge ie Wisdom or Enlightenment. 

One new one I have considered before that hasn’t been mentioned is Trial. 

And I know this is about unknown shards, but I also have a head cannon that if Devotion and Dominion were to somehow be taken up together a la Harmony that they would become Zeal. 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Weltall said:

If the Shard that just wants to survive and hide doesn't have an intent of 'Survival' the odds that another Shard has that intent are... not good. See the post just above this one.

The best possibility I can think of is that Survival is into survival of the fittest, but that is a lot like Cultivation.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, Iridium Savant said:

I am working on a Cosmere RPG based on Pathfinder d20 with a friend and the six we have added to the list are...

Justice
Community
Enlightenment
Ingenuity
Wonder
Paradox

paradox sounds dope I really hope that becomes canon 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know this is kinda a necro, but I just had a really cool thought! This does hinge on The Aether of the Night, a non-cannonical book of the Cosmere. I haven't finfished it yet, so I don't know how accurate it will be, but hear me out! 

Spoiler

Ok, so in the Aether of the Night, there's a being of extraordinary power know a Decay. The magic system of the book includes people creating something called Amberite, a pinkish stone that is hard while being used, but after it's finished being used, it softens, turning to dust almost immediately. Here's where it get interesting though. In Words of Radiance, when Shallan is meeting Mraize for the first time, it says that there is "a chunk of pale pink crystal [that] looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it."

This is nearly cannonical proof that the story of The Aether of the Night is part of the cosmere. This could mean that Decay is a shard, the counterpart to Cultivation. I don't know if there is another thread about this, or a WoB, but i thought it might be legit!

2 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Ok, I know this is kinda a necro, but I just had a really cool thought! This does hinge on The Aether of the Night, a non-cannonical book of the Cosmere. I haven't finfished it yet, so I don't know how accurate it will be, but hear me out! 

Decay = Ruin, sorry.  We have confirmation.:(

@Truthless of Shinovar yes. That's particular item being what you suggest is the general consensus to my knowledge.

Independent of that though, we have confirmation that Aethers are still Canon. 

Aethy

Aether of Night was cannibalized; it's no longer going to be released. Apparently some of the concepts were taken and worked into other books, so it's no longer publishable.

Peter Ahlstrom

Actually it might be un-cannibalized. Some concepts went into Liar of Partinel, but now that book won't ever happen in that form. So there could still be one or more Aether books in the future. But it would be a ground-up rewrite like happened with Mistborn and Stormlight.

WeiryWriter

Wait, really? That's pretty big news, even just possibility of it happening. I presume the Shards of the world would change then? Since Decay got reworked to be Ruin and such?

Peter Ahlstrom

Yeah, Decay is essentially Ruin, so lots of things would change there. But the magic of the Aethers, especially, could get their own book later.

There is a reason that Aethers are already canon. I don't think anyone has figured that out yet. But the backstory Brandon gives them could change in the future, or could end up never materializing.

General Reddit 2014 (Dec. 18, 2014)

There are several planets in the cosmere.

1. Scadrial- Ruin and Preservation (harmony)
  2. Sel - Dominion and Devotion
  3. Nalthis - Endowment
  4. Roshar - Honor, Odium, and Cultivation
    1. Ashyn - 
    2. Braize
  5. Threnody - none, but Ambition was splintered near here. 
  6. Autonomy - Taldain
  7. First of the Sun - Patji is an avatar of Autonomy
  8. Yolen - Unknown

These eight (ten if you count Ashyn and Braize) make up what most of us know as the Cosmere. But there are two more.

Obrodai- A planet mentioned in the Epigraph of Oathbringer chapter 50. Nothing is known about it, other than that there are probably shards there. Or at least some form of investiture

Spoiler

"We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai. We have claimed that world, and a new avatar of our being is beginning to manifest there.

Vax - A planet mentioned in Ars Arcanum and Mistborn: Secret History. All that is known is that there is some form of investiture there. 

My personal theory is that the remaining six shards are on Yolen, Obrodai, Vax, or another unknown planet. Vax would be my first choice because we already have confirmation of investiture there. 

But wait. There's something suspicious. In Secret History, Kelsier comes across an Elantrian group called the Ire. Interestingly, Ire is an English word meaning anger or malignant intent. Sounds like a shard...

Edited by BookishOcelot

@BookishOcelot

You are correct for the most part, but there are a couple points I'd like to dispute.

Ambition was wounded near Threnody, but was not actually from there, and did not die there. 

On FotS, Patji is an Avatar of Autonomy. 

And Ire is not the English word Ire. It's an Aon. "Eye-ree." 

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

When you say Ire, what do you mean?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I mean the word for "ancient" in Aonic.

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay, because we've only ever heard it referred to in the one little thing in Secret History so hearing you refer to the lighthouse as the Ire was...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I don't know if he actually be-- Yeah.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

@Calderis 

Fixed the stuff on my table. 

Ire is not an English word, but the coincidence is still there. The word Iree or Irie, pronounced eye-REE is a Jamaican slang term meaning "All good" or "everything will be alright". Not as conducive as a shard name, but okay. It's also possible that the Elantrian pronunciation is different than the English pronunciation, like an accent. 

1 hour ago, BookishOcelot said:

Obrodai- A planet mentioned in the Epigraph of Oathbringer chapter 50. Nothing is known about it, other than that there are probably shards there. Or at least some form of investiture

I am pretty sure that Obradai is where 6th of the Dusk is set and that the island is autonomy.

2 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

anger or malignant intent. Sounds like a shard...

I think that that would be covered under Odium, don't you?

2 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

Vax - A planet mentioned in Ars Arcanum and Mistborn: Secret History. All that is known is that there is some form of investiture there. 

I am suspicious that Vax might be a person, or a dragon. We don't have proof it is a planet or place. 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I am pretty sure that Obradai is where 6th of the Dusk is set and that the island is autonomy.

The letter that mentions Obradai is from Patji itself, and speaks of Obradai as another place entirely, with a new Avatar developing. I think that BookishOcelot is correct in this point, with the specification that "shards" = Autonomy.

Edit: @ZenBossanova the only mention we have of Vax is from Khriss in the 10th anniversary edition Elantris Ars Arcanum, and it speaks of Initiation of a magic system in planetary terms.

INITIATION
Though the general public sees the hand of divinity in who is chosen to become an Elantrian, I find this unlikely, considering that their gods are dead—and, by my best guess, have been for a very long time. I wonder if they know they are channeling the corpses of those gods in the outpouring of their magics?
How, then, is a practitioner of AonDor Initiated? It does not appear to be tied to family descent, as one finds on Scadrial, nor is it a specific Shard’s Decision, as on Nalthis. Even Taldain’s and Vax’s methods do not seem to apply here. I can only surmise random chance is involved, unless there is a hidden pattern I have not been able to discern.

While it's not explicit, I find it unlikely that Vax is not a world due to that. 

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

The letter that mentions Obradai is from Patji itself, and speaks of Obradai as another place entirely, with a new Avatar developing. I think that BookishOcelot is correct in this point, with the specification that "shards" = Autonomy.

Edit: @ZenBossanova the only mention we have of Vax is from Khriss in the 10th anniversary edition Elantris Ars Arcanum, and it speaks of Initiation of a magic system in planetary terms.

While it's not explicit, I find it unlikely that Vax is not a world due to that. 

Argent

Is Vax a planet?  It’s clearly suggested that it is.

Brandon Sanderson

What’s that?

Argent

It’s heavily suggested that it is.

Brandon Sanderson

It is heavily suggested that it is a place.

Argent

It's a place. Okay, I'll take that.

*talking to other attendees* Vax is a place.

Brandon Sanderson

No no, heavily suggested that it's a place, is what I said!

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

I maintain my suspicions

@Karger

If you look on the Coppermind, Obrodai and First of the Sun (where Sixth of the Dusk takes place) are listed separately, leading me to conclude that they are not the same thing.

Odium is an English word, stemming from the Latin Odi which means "to hate". But in Oathbringer, he says something else. He seems to be skewing towards being the Shard of Passion. There also happens to be a religion called "The Passions" in Thaylenah.

I am emotion incarnate. I am the soul of the spren and of men. I am lust, joy, hatred, anger, and exultation. I am glory and I am vice. I am the very thing that makes men men.

4 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

I am emotion incarnate. I am the soul of the spren and of men. I am lust, joy, hatred, anger, and exultation. I am glory and I am vice. I am the very thing that makes men men.

Odium does not strike me as the introspective type after all.  Odium lies when he claims to have sole ownership of passion.  I do think that he is hatred.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Odium does not strike me as the introspective type after all.  Odium lies when he claims to have sole ownership of passion.  I do think that he is hatred.

I feel like he’s not JUST hatred.  I agree that he doesn’t own all emotion, and certainly not the calmer emotions, but I feel like in some ways passion is closer to his intent than just Odium.