Church of the Whiterose Complex

Lunar Blessing

“Sisters, you’re fast,” Dan said, jogging over to Shae. He made a face at Shae, then picked the little guy up in the dark. “Yeah, it seems like a bad idea to do this at night, but hey.” He flew up for a few minutes, his eyes instantly adjusting to the dark so that it looked normal, but grainier, sort of. When the dorms building was small enough, he looked at Shae nervously and said, “Ready?”

@ShadowLord_Lith

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

Dan felt a clashing of emotions in his head as he looked down at Shae’s face, gliding on an updraft. What if I’m not fast enough, and he dies? That would not be good. I can’t see as well in this weather. I’d lose my only friend if he died... “Uh, I’m not going to drop you. It’s a bad idea.”

@ShadowLord_Lith

He shrugged. "Okay. Flying is good too... it's a beautiful night. Do you always get to enjoy flying like this?" He hadn't really ever flown before. Not like this. Last time, he'd been dropped randomly for no reason. It had been fun, but this was nicer. Less exciting, but just as awesome in a different way. 

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith

“With these,” Dan flapped his wings a few extra times, “yes. Whenever I can. Flying is wonderful. I just love the wind and the stinging of it on my face, and the cold, and how fast it is, and how high in the air I can go, and the openness of the air, how I can just fly forever...” He smiled. “It’s all the greatest parts of life combined into one.”

@ShadowLord_Lith

He smiled, nodding. "It sounds wonderful... part if me wishes I'd been born with steel allomsmcy instead of tin... but still, at least I can see still, so that's good." He smiled he burned a small bit of tin, seeing the ground now and smiling. It looked so beautiful...

He snorted, chuckling. "No, I'm nearsighted. My tin lets me see things far away. It's kind of like a trade off though, close things get so easy to see I can't really make out what they are... sort if like if you use glass to magnify something enough that you can no longer see all of it, but... it just makes it hard to focus on any one thing." He smiled, shaking his head. 

He looked at him, hesitating. "You don't seem like that kind of person... besides, I trust you. More than I probably should, honestly... but you did save me twice already. I feel safe after that. Well... safer. Besides, I could grab you if I had to, so you'd fall with me..." He hummed, thinking about that. 

A weird little explosion of warmth burst out in Dan’s chest as Shae said that he trusted Dan. He trusts me. That’s good. Wait, why is it good? Instead of thinking further about that, he said to Shae, “Unless you managed to pin my wings, which I doubt you could do, I wouldn’t actually fall, even if I still lost altitude. Anyway, I wouldn’t drop you on purpose unless you wanted me too. My ma says that it’s rude.” Now I’m talking like a twelve year-old. That’s even better.

@ShadowLord_Lith

“I’ve never actually been to the planet my parents are from,” Dan said. “I do sometimes want to see them, but I’m practically an adult, so, I mean, I can do stuff without them around. It’s nice, actually, since I don’t have to deal with them all the time.” He half-scowled. “I sound like a teenager. Sorry, I just like not having to be at someone else’s beck and call against my will.” He thought about the last thing Shae had said before saying, “I like being able to rub it everyone else’s faces that they can’t be a hawk-dog, honestly. When I’m not flying, I’m just a normal, crazy-claustrobic human.” I shouldn’t have said that.

@ShadowLord_Lith

He chuckled, nodding. "I bet it feels great when people scratch behind them." He paused. "Wait, you act like a dog? Like, if I threw a stick you'd fetch?" He chuckled, grinning incredulously. He was exaggerating, but the small jibe had come out without his thinking about it. 

"Very funny," Dan said, blushing a bit, then calming his face back to normal. "I get an urge to chase moving things all the time, and yes, the ears do feel good when they get scratched behind." He looked out and around the open sky, then caught a downdraft and started losing altitude. 

@ShadowLord_Lith

Shae felt the sudden loss of altitude and reflexively clung to Dan, pulling close and freezing to keep from falling. He would've been embarrassed except that his mind was more focused on other things, like not falling. His mind had gone blank temporarily with that panic, and he couldn't manage to say anything. 

He blinked, blushing. "S-sorry... you just surprised me..." He relaxed, moving a bit away from him. "You can land if you want, It was just a bit sudden..." He refused to be embarrassed by a survival instinct. And yet, he was blushing slightly. That aggravated him.