The opposite of Odium

supersmith

So I think I mentioned this in the other thread? But Odium is described as "God's own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context." Not wrath. And Devotion is probably the closest to its opposite, since Devotion is compassion or love.

2 minutes ago, supersmith said:

But aren’t dovotion and dominion paired? I guess not all shards need to be paired to a different shard, but those two seem like a pair.

My understanding is that they traveled to Sel together because of pre-shattering relationship, not because they were paired in the same way ruin and preservation were.

Not all Shards have an equal and opposite Shard, like Pres and Ruin were. So there are several that can be Odium's opposite, but I think Devotion works pretty well.

Questioner

What Shard is the opposite of Odium in the sense of the *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

There are several that could be considered opposites--

Questioner

I mean in the assimilation sense, you’ve said that Odium doesn’t want to absorb any of the other ones but which one would want to?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, which one would want to join with him?

Questioner

Or any of them.

Brandon Sanderson

I think that if personalities had been different, Honor and Odium, there would have been a very natural pairing, not that they’re opposites but they would have attracted. [...]

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic