Problems that beginers have

Karger

Hey could anyone post/find me some instructions on protocol and conventions on this site.

Is it acceptable to double post?

What should I recognize as worthy of praise and what should I not?

Any conventional ways to respond to someones comment of your work?

The rulebook would be helpfull

8 minutes ago, Karger said:

Is it acceptable to double post?

Double-posting is frowned upon.

8 minutes ago, Karger said:

Any conventional ways to respond to someones comment of your work?

Highlight the part of it you want to respond to and a "Quote this" box shows up. Press that and you're good.

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

What should I recognize as worthy of praise and what should I not?

That's pretty much up to you.Upvote what you want to for any reason you want, pretty much.

Let's see...other things...don't ask if Reckoners is cosemere (made that mistake as my first post). Don't try to get around the profanity filters. If you have a question and the most recent thread that covers it was posted in a long time ago, don't post in that thread, just start a new one because thread necroes are bad. Don't harass people. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, though I'm probably missing some.

@Karger Welcome to the Shard!

17 hours ago, Invocation said:

If you have a question and the most recent thread that covers it was posted in a long time ago, don't post in that thread, just start a new one because thread necroes are bad.

Here's what the Site Rules have to say about necros.  Basically they're okay (and preferred) if you have productive something to add to the conversation.  But don't necro something just to say "I agree!" - that's not adding anything helpful.  That's probably a good rule of thumb for all posts in general.  

On that same note, don't bring back topics that have been dead forever. This is called thread necromancy (or simply "necroing"). If after a long time you post something new in a topic--one whose discussion has long since ended--that would be thread necroing. We're going to be more lenient about this on the Brandon Sanderson forums, because if you have something to add in the "Mistborn Movie Casting" topic and there hasn't been a post there in a great while, why shouldn't you? You're adding something to the discussion, that's fantastic! A lot of the Books forums will have theory threads, and if you have something to add to them which just perfectly fits the topic, better to revive a dead thread, right?

Thread necroing is only bad in a case like this: let's say Mi'chelle and Josh post in General Discussion saying "We're married!" in a few months. Members will congratulate them, but what you don't want to do is post three months later a congratulation. The sentiment's nice, but at the same time, the news is outdated. Your post is itself outdated, which means it didn't really need to be said. It was superfluous and there was no need for you to post it. Does that make sense? That's why most forums hate thread necromancy, because it's superfluous posting. Essentially, spamming.

Spoiler Policy: depends on the forum.  

• Cosmere Discussion - all spoilers allowed and spoiler tags discouraged
  • Series Forums (e.g. Mistborn or Stormlight) - no spoiler tags required for that series.  Use spoiler tags for other series spoilers.  

Also, if you think there's already a thread covering your question, spend the few seconds it takes to do a quick search.  Additionally, we have a two really useful resources for Cosmere info: 

• The Coppermind - basically the Cosmere Wikipedia (beware of spoilers!)
  • Arcanum - a repository of basically everything Brandon's ever said (i.e. Words of Brandon or "WoBs")