Missing text in the Alendi's journal article

binh0k04

Post here because I don't know how to edit the wiki.

In the Alendi's journal article, I realized that the wiki only uses the information from The Final Empire's epigraphs and not some of the text from the book. For example, at the start of chapter 21, Kelsier is reading the logbook and a portion of the texts is missing from the wiki. This can also help with the chronological order of the text: "I know that I shouldn't let a simple packman perturb me. However, he is from Terris, where the prophecies originated. If anyone could spot a fraud, would it not be he?" is right after "When they see me, do they see a liar?" which is different from the wiki.

So if anyone can check their copy of The Final Empire and edit the wiki, that would be nice.

What you do is create an account, then there should be an Edit option on the top right. Sadly, many of the Era 1 articles do need a lot of work. The Keepers are pretty overworked. :(

Edit: I don't know left from right.

Edited by RShara

There are some small typos I see that need correction, but I just reread that page and it does include the line you mention. Or are you saying that in Kelsier's copy of the logbook, the "simple packman" line comes right after the "liar" one? Because if it's the latter, the Wiki page probably lists things as they appear in the epigraphs, not necessarily as they would appear in the actual logbook - which, given that we don't have the full text of the logbook, is probably a more consistent way of presenting it.

2 hours ago, Argent said:

There are some small typos I see that need correction, but I just reread that page and it does include the line you mention. Or are you saying that in Kelsier's copy of the logbook, the "simple packman" line comes right after the "liar" one? Because if it's the latter, the Wiki page probably lists things as they appear in the epigraphs, not necessarily as they would appear in the actual logbook - which, given that we don't have the full text of the logbook, is probably a more consistent way of presenting it.

The line I mentioned is just part of a larger paragraph which is missing ( this just the first part that I found):

What proof do we have? The words of men long dead, only now deemed divinatory? Even if we accept the prophecies, only tenuous interpretation links them to me. Is my defense of the Summer Hill really the “Burden by which the Hero shall be dubbed”? My several marriages could give me a “Bloodless bond to the world’s kings,” if you look at it the right way. There are dozens of similar phrases that could refer to events in my life. But, then again, they could all just be coincidences.

The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms. What would they think if they knew that their champion—the Hero of Ages, their savior—doubted himself?

Perhaps they wouldn’t be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder—just like I do. When they see me, do they see a liar?

Rashek seems to think so. I know that I shouldn’t let a simple packman perturb me. However, he is from Terris, where the prophecies originated. If anyone could spot a fraud, would it not be he?

Nevertheless, I continue my trek, going where the scribbled auguries proclaim that I will meet my destiny—walking, feeling Rashek’s eyes on my back. Jealous. Mocking. Hating.

In the end, I worry that my arrogance shall destroy us all.

@binh0k04 you don't even need to make an account. Just click the "Edit" button/tab at the top right. (though there are some benefits to making an account)

In any case...

I've done my best to add this missing text in. It's tricky though... I think everything in there was based on the order of the epigraphs. But this passage that Kelsier reads had a few chunks from later epigraphs mixed in, proving that the epigraphs aren't necessarily in the "correct" order. I've moved those portions to match what Kelsier reads, and I've added a note at the beginning of the article that the ordering of provided passages is uncertain. I've also made it clear that we only have excerpts not the actual FULL text of the journal.

If there are other portions of the text not revealed in the epigraphs, it would be helpful if someone could report that. (or even better, just go in and add it) I've only added this one portion Kelsier reads from the beginning of chapter 21.