Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joesleepsalot

Brandon based Kaladin off Peter Pan

4 posts in this topic

I haven’t found this online before, I’m fairly certain that B.S. created the whole Kaladin/Syl/Windrunner squires thing from Hook.

Why!?

I’m watching “Hook” right now with Robin Williams. I’ve seen it a thousand times, it was the theme of literally every family get together. (If you haven’t seen it, or more relevantly, HAVE seen it but haven’t seen it since you’ve read the Stormlight Archive, then this is for you.)

I’m not the greatest at articulation, so forgive me for botching the job... that said, the fairy Tinker Bell (Julia Roberts) looks exactly like Syl as described in the book. She essentially “saves” Peter Pan (or Kaladin, a depressed version of him as a middle aged adult). The entire experience throughout the film smacks of Syl bonding Kaladin and their relationship, both visually and emotionally. 

Next we have the wind running/flying. A close look at the movie and books shows the similarities with ease.

The squires: the lost boys. ESPECIALLY THE LAST SCENE IN NEVERLAND. This whole scene (after Dustin Hoffman is eaten by the crocodile... and by the way he seriously reeks of “Odium”), when watched from the POV of a Cosmere Fan, feels like an analogy to Odium’s reign (having read through Oathbringer).

Brandon is what, 36-40 years old? Means he’d have been 9-13 when the movie came out, had to have been his holiday favorite. It’s a stretch with zero proof, all I’m suggesting is that a mortal human author usually has inspiration and I think I may have found his inspiration. 

Ok, ok. Before I clocked “post” I googled it in a different window and found this:

I postulate also that Atilium is Brandon Sanderson’s ghost account. 

Edited by joesleepsalot

I think Brandon is inspired by tons of stuff. I have not seen Hook, but it is certainly possible that he based something off that movie.

Also, I love the thread you linked!

I honestly did not realise this. I finished Oathbringer right around the time I last saw this. In fact, I would argue that the Stormlight Archive is similar to any Peter Pan story, am not entirely sure who Wendy might be though. Even someone as obvious as Syl/Tinkerbell flew right over my head (no pun intended). I believe that is a wonderful theory, however I think many similarities can be drawn from many other sources that Brandon would have had access to as a kid, as mentioned before, perhaps he was not thinking of this consciously, but if he were a fan of this movie, it may have gotten written into the story subconsciously. 

Syl/Tinkerbell parallels are there. I think Brandon has said he makes her shift forms so often to avoid her being too much like Tinkerbell.

i don’t think Kaladin is much like Pan. He was always very serious, wanted to be a doctor/soldier. Always kind of depressed. 

It’s not like he was like Tien and he forgot, like in Hook. He was never a carefree, never want to grow up kid. 

Syl is there to balance out Kaladin’s darkness.