Fire Emblem Three Houses

Pathfinder

10 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I'm...not sure I'll ever get to do a Black Eagles run. I don't have it in me to do a Crimson Flower run (I can't do anti-hero/villain/Renegade/Dark Side runs on videogames. It just hurts me), nor do I want to lose the main lord of the game just for Silver Snow (I also really want to make Edelgard a dancer, but that means losing her on SS). That doesn't mean I don't know what happens. 

I’m on my Black Eagles run right now, and I’m really torn about which path I go down. I’m leaning towards Crimson Flower.

On 10/24/2019 at 2:42 AM, Jaywalk said:

Linhardt - Kinda boring so far, but that’s to be expected from a guy whose defining characteristic is napping. His aversion to battle is rather interesting though.

One thing I really liked about Linhardt is that, when he isn't napping, he seems to have a knack for figuring out people's secrets. Through his support conversations I figured out what was going on with Flayn and he had Lysithea figured out pretty quickly as well. I'm seriously considering recruiting him for my current golden deer run so he can tell me about what's going on with Marianne's crest.

I have finished my Blue Lions run with Belle/Bylass, and now it's back to the Golden Deer with Byleth/Bylad! This time I'll be romancing Dorothea. Things have already started differently: I used most of my renown to raise my Teacher Rank to B, Sword rank to A, Authority to B, and Bows to C. I saved the leftover and used that to get my Heavy Armor to C. Next will be Riding and Reason, and then Axe, Faith and Fists. My goal is to S rank Riding, Axe, and Fists. Faith too, but that can be saved for BL Round 2 (when the new DLC classes and characters come out). I probably won't get there, but I can try. 

The Heavy Armor helped me recruit Ferdinand immediately, so he'll be part of the core team now. 

The only problems I see encountering are that my team might be a tad under-leveled compared to last time, as I can only battle twice on free days instead of three times. 

Other changes: 

Lorenz will be my Dark Mage (thank you Joe Zieja for the idea). I tried that for Linhardt last time, but I recruited him too late and used him too infrequently. I might turn Ignatz into one too. I'm not sure who my dancer will be. I'm torn between Hilda (I want her to learn Bolting; her charm is also good, as are her gambits, but Authority isn't a favored stat for her), Marianne (used her like that on the first GD run and I LOVED it), Ingrid (gives her a niche). Dorothea was phenomenal as a dancer, but I prefer her as a Gremory. Same for Lysithea (although some day that would be fun to do). Maybe Sylvain, but probably not. 

• 2 weeks later...

So trying to dig to find out, but does anyone know how the levin sword works with skills that specify sword or magic? It is a sword, and it uses the magic stat. So if a character gets +20 avoid when using magic, does the levin sword count or since it is a sword, it does not? I assume it does not, but I am curious. 

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

We will get story DLC at some point though. Who knows, maybe they'll rework Crimson Flower so it can be held up to the same glorious standard of Azure Moon and Verdant Wind.

There was a data leak that there are new classes coming. A warmonk, and dark flier among them

• 3 weeks later...

Not entirely related to the game, but I've been thinking about this for a couple of months and wanted to get it out. The second generation characters in Fates would work SO MUCH BETTER as playable units in Three Houses. The sheer amount of characters in Fates, along with the fact that the second generation exists, limited the amount of depth a single character could have. Most characters that could have had depth or been compelling (Camilla, Nyx, and even Peri) were reduced to tropes and quirks (Hot Faux-Incest, Eligible Loli, and ??? Psychopath That Should Be Locked Up). Taking out the second gen would give each generation a chance to fit within the games. Heck, most of the kids wouldn't even need that much of a retooling for their characters to work. The age limit in Three Houses would eliminate the uncomfortably young characters such as Midori, Percy, and Kana (or at least make them legal adults by the time romance is an option); while keeping the older characters as students or post-timeskip joiners. Velouria and Selkie can be absent or included, depending on how one wants to deal with beast units.

Siegbert can be combined with Dimitri (which may or may not be my head-canon). Siegbert as a character is an honorable, duty-bound young man whose hero-worship of his father actually limits his own growth. He believes that everyone should do their best and stays up far too late studying. Dimitri already has most of those qualities. The hero-worship could be part of what tortures Dimitri after the Tragedy of Duscur - Dimitri loved his father so much that he is torturing himself by hearing the voice of his father. Meanwhile outsiders believe that the pre-timeskip Dimitri is still the same boy they knew from before the tragedy.

Ophelia would fit in with Annette and Lysithea, but with a twist. Ophelia can see mystical things, but isn't completely sure how it works*. Her goal at the academy is to figure out how her powers work.

Shiro can be reworked into being the bastard son of a noble (or the Sreng kingdom**). Shiro was never expected to inherit his father's throne, so he was never told about his father's position. But once the rightful heir died, Shiro was forced into the position and hasn't lived up to it yet. So Shiro's father sent him to the academy to learn how to be a more appropriate leader. I personally like this better than "I never told you that you'd be the prince because you weren't maturing how I matured, despite me having a completely different support system." (Ryoma is a terrible father.) 

Asugi I have as a thief who would be caught by Shamir and Catherine early on. Instead of turning him over the authorities, they threaten him into joining the Knights of Seiros. Cyril would see Asugi as a potential rival and threat (later realizing that this is how others view/viewed him, and he needs to trust Asugi before he becomes like everybody else) and Shiro would offer him a job (Asugi would accept in the paired ending). 

Rhajat would be Hubert's younger sister, and would always join the opposite side he does (they'd have the same stat growths and spells; and she'd come with the relic Hubert would earn).

Caeldori would be Sylvain's younger sister (she'd hero-worship Ingrid). I toy with the idea that she is a prodigy but can't inherit because she has no crest; but I also like the idea that Sylvain wants her to inherit House Gautier but their parents would rather her become a noble's bride for political reasons.

Mitama I have as Raph's younger sister. Loves art? Is quirky? Has monstrous strength growths? Must run in the family. 

Ignatius would be the son of a newly minted knight who's bravery earned him a boon from their lord; the boon was that Ignatius attend the academy. Now everyone thinks Ignatius is a great warrior like his parent(s), but in reality Ignatius is afraid of most everything (imagine the things he, Ashe, and Berny could get up to!).

Soleil would ROCK the academy. Her story comes with a bit more head-canon though. Soleil would be the eldest child of (Chrom!)Inigo/Laslow and (potentially) Azura. Unlike her sibling(s), she'd have no crest, making her growth in the Holy Kingdom stunted. As such, she became a mercenary on her own and worked her way into the academy. Despite her ability, Soleil would have some angst over the fact that the two things she truly wants (a crest and to be a good dancer) she can never have. She is a childhood friend of Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, and Ingrid (and is TOTALLY Dorothea's ex-girlfriend...and may not be 100% over her just yet). I've also toyed with the idea of her being Marianne's twin ala Felicia and Flora, but I don't think that'd work. 

Shigure, being the Soleil's younger brother, would join after the timeskip. He shares a decent amount of qualities with Ignatz, although their base personality is enough to keep them separate. 

Sophie would just be the daughter of a knight. Which, while pretty basic, should work fine so long as she has more than just clumsiness and Avel to carry her through. 

Nina is a harder character to use. Part of me thinks she'd be better off combined with Bernadetta into one composite character (they similar traits and skills in archery, storytelling,*** and rebelling against fathers). Another part of me thinks that Nina could be a high ranking nobleman's daughter who he thinks is going through a rebellious phase and thus sends her to the academy to "straighten her out" before her criminal activity gets her killed (i.e. Ferdinand or Lorenz's little sister...although her being Felix's little sister and him not caring about her would be pretty funny). A third part of me thinks it'd be funny to see Nina harass Bernadetta into writing a Yaoi story, only for the story to stink because Berny didn't really care about the story (as a not-so-subtle jab at entitled fans and authors). 

The rest of the characters (Dwyer, Hisame, Kiragi, and Forrest) I haven't really figured out how to work into the game yet, but I think the amount here is good enough. 

*I believe this is canon, especially if her mother is Orochi, but I'm not too sure anymore. Making this an affect of having a crest could be interesting...although that might mean - if the characters are tied with the Awakening characters - that Robin would have a crest that allowed them to see into the future...or maybe that's what the Mark of the Exalt does...that's enough random speculation for now...

**In my head Sreng and Hoshido are one and the same, but I'm trying to keep my head-canon out of this

***Granted, very, VERY different types of storytelling.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I concur! I can’t wait to see how the dlc story ties into the main game. 

From what we know, it's a side mission that is done outside of the regular game. It's accessed on a different screen before you even get to the save files. You beat the mission(s), and you can recruit the characters in the regular story. The characters chosen for the quest are also pre-selected too: Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard* (yes, the first time you get to use all three lords outside of the first mission!); and then Linhardt, Ashe, and Hilda.

The character data (max stats, affinities, growth rates, supports, spell lists...pretty much everything but personal skills) has already leaked, so feel free to find it and check it out if you'd like. And there are some fun theories on who is "associated" with which of the traditional houses (Yuri being the "house leader," due to his attire, supports and growth total in believe; Constance for BE, Hapi for BL, and Balthus for GD, to sum it up without too much detail). 

Edit: @Wyndlerunner we can't forget about TMS#FE getting a rerelease on the Switch! Or should we say...an ENCORE?! 

*I just noticed that the four main characters names are the next in the alphabet after A (for Avatar?): Byleth, Claude, Dimitri, and Edegard (and Flayn!)

Edited by Use the Falchion

20 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

we can't forget about TMS#FE getting a rerelease on the Switch! Or should we say...an ENCORE?! 

That game was off my radar until I watched the trailer a few days ago. Now I’m seriously considering picking it up. I’ve heard so many great things about it.

1 minute ago, Jaywalk said:

That game was off my radar until I watched the trailer a few days ago. Now I’m seriously considering picking it up. I’ve heard so many great things about it.

It's fun from what I've played so far! But the gameplay is DEFINITELY the highlight, not the story. The game is what it says it is - Persona-lite with pop idols and Fire Emblem characters. But that's also not a bad thing. Give it a go if you think you'd like it.

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

It's fun from what I've played so far! But the gameplay is DEFINITELY the highlight, not the story. The game is what it says it is - Persona-lite with pop idols and Fire Emblem characters. But that's also not a bad thing. Give it a go if you think you'd like it.

I’m still torn, because story can pull me through a game much more than gameplay can. Octopath Traveler, for example, didn’t have enough for me in the story, so when I got bored of the gameplay, I just stopped playing. Fire Emblem had a great balance of both.

But I really do love the style of TMS#. The gameplay looks solid and like a great time. If there’s ever a demo, maybe I’ll try it out.

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m still torn, because story can pull me through a game much more than gameplay can. Octopath Traveler, for example, didn’t have enough for me in the story, so when I got bored of the gameplay, I just stopped playing. Fire Emblem had a great balance of both.

Oh I'm totally the same. I won't play it all-day-every day, but when I get a chance or am in the mood I'll pick it up a play for a couple of hours. It's more like that than Three Houses or Persona 5 addicting. It's a nice break between games to prevent burnout. The novella between Mistborn books, or the Skyward between Stormlight.

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

If there’s ever a demo, maybe I’ll try it out.

That's a smart choice. Or if you're ever able to buy it a discounted price, that'd be a great time to see.

• 2 weeks later...