Fire Emblem Three Houses

Pathfinder

On 7/25/2019 at 1:00 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

Okay, so I was able to acquire the necessary funds- so I'll be able to pick up the game on launch day.

Any suggestions for what house I should choose? 

@Pathfinder @Jaywalk

Lol just got back from Canada yesterday. Picked the Black Eagles. Love me some mages!

On 7/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jaywalk said:

I think I might start with Black Eagles myself.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

I'm debating either Black Eagles or Golden Deer.

Edit 7/26/19: I have officially declared my allegiance to the Adrestian Empire. Black Eagles all the way!

@Jaywalk and @Wyndlerunner looks like the black eagles are a very popular class, both here and according to nintendo lol

So I have a bit of a theory, both based on the events of "Rumors of a Reaper" and my own deductions

Spoiler

I don't think Flayn is Seteth's sister, rather, I have come to believe that she is Seteth's daughter, by the Archbishop. If y'all want some more info, feel free to ask

On 7/29/2019 at 0:29 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

So I have a bit of a theory, both based on the events of "Rumors of a Reaper" and my own deductions

Hide contents

I don't think Flayn is Seteth's sister, rather, I have come to believe that she is Seteth's daughter, by the Archbishop. If y'all want some more info, feel free to ask

Spoiler

Close. Seteth is Flayn's father, but the Arch-Bisop is not the mother, Flayn's mother/Seteth's wife passed away.

Also, I am proud (And also worried) to admit, I racked up 11 hours, and 14 minutes on my first day of playing FE:TH. I'm on my fourth day, and I currently have 35 hours. And I agree, Black Eagles forever! (Plus, it's the only route that gives you the choice to go against the church)

Edited by Lord Furret

Just now, Lord Furret said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That is partly true, although the Arch-bisop is not the mother, Flayn's mother/Seteth's wife passed away.

Spoiler

I know that now, All has been revealed to me. (I'm on the final battle) I had made this deduction based on the information I had available to me at the time. 

Which house did you choose? I'm curious ^_^.

Also, thanks to this game, I now officially love Fire Emblem. Which of the 3DS games are best? I'm considering picking one up.

3 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:
  Hide contents

I know that now, All has been revealed to me. (I'm on the final battle) I had made this deduction based on the information I had available to me at the time. 

Also, thanks to this game, I now officially love Fire Emblem. Which of the 3DS games are best? I'm considering picking one up.

Awakening. Choose Awakening, Fates is one of the worst ones on the 3DS, and before TH, Awakening was my favorite.

8 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

And I agree, Black Eagles forever! (Plus, it's the only route that gives you the choice to go against the church)

Edited by Lord Furret

7 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

Rhea's crazy man. Also

Reveal hidden contents

She's a gigantic beast monster thing. Also, I can't kill Edelgard! I won't!

What are your guy's FE:TH Waifus? For me, it's Dorothea, although Edelgard is a close second.

Spoiler

Well yeah, but still! Edelgard used me! Although, I do admit to feeling guilty killing her. I mainly worried that my other students wouldn't side with Edelgard, and I didn't want to kill them. Also, yeah, I gotta kill Rhea now anyway.

Well, I'm not too versed in the Anime terminology, but I believe waifu means 'wife'?  If so, Bernadetta, though Dorothea is a near second. But I relate more to Bernadetta on a spiritual level, and she is a cinnamon roll who deserves nothing but happiness in this world.

17 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Speaking out of curiosity, what do people dislike about Fates? (I've heard that the story was not that great, but both versions of Fates have the same 4 and a half stars as Awakening does on Amazon, and are cheaper...)

So I have seen this said in a lot of reviews, and after playing both, I am inclined to agree. Awakening has a much better story than Fates in just about every way. Fates is better (in my opinion) than Awakening regarding mechanics because they fixed a lot of gameplay and added more customization. So if you want to play both, play Awakening first, because you will enjoy the story more, and when you get to Fates, you will enjoy the gameplay more. I did the reverse against such advice, and ended up mostly ignoring the story of Fates, and then when I switched to Awakening, getting used to mechanics that I liked no longer existing was annoying.

Regarding Three Houses, I have been quite for a bit because I have been playing while not playing lol. Basically I really love making character builds and interactions, so I have been busy researching the classes, combat arts, hidden talents, and personal skills of my class to come up with unique builds for everyone so when I start playing the game, I can take maximum advantage of every moment of the calendar to bring my builds to fruition. So far I got planned:

Bernadetta: Wyvern Lord (vantage with massive crits and dmg when life is low)

Linhardt: Holy Knight (Tank via Nosferatu)

Ferdinand: War Master (Dodge Tank using fists for healing and increased avoid)

Hubert: Dark Knight (Authority/Gambit focus with dark magic debuffs)

Dorothea: Dancer (buff with dance, while white magic adds healing, and increases her avoid for survivability. Kind of like Primrose from Octopath)

Petra: Assassin (focus on crit and lethality)

Caspar: Great Knight (Tank)

Catherine (probably pick her up if I can, haven't checked if she will ally with black eagles or not yet): keep her as swordmaster

Flayn: Might make mortal savant. Still trying to understand what combat art you get, because some charts list a bunch with "or" separating them, so I do not know if you can choose among them, or it depends on other circumstances. 

Shamir: Bow Knight

Almost done, then I can play in ernest! Though I have not decided yet who I want to recruit from other houses, or even if I want to, because I kind of want to keep replaying interesting with new units each time. So don't know yet. 

On 8/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, Pathfinder said:

Kind of like Primrose from Octopath

Mmm, all the Bewildering Grace spams to farm exp...

takes me right back.;)

Edit 8/6/19: I have officially finished my first route! This game has to be one of the most solid RPGs I've ever played, and I'm already planning out my next runthrough. Blue Lions or Golden Deer... so many choices.

Edited by Wyndlerunner

On 8/5/2019 at 5:17 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

Mmm, all the Bewildering Grace spams to farm exp...

takes me right back.;)

Edit 8/6/19: I have officially finished my first route! This game has to be one of the most solid RPGs I've ever played, and I'm already planning out my next runthrough. Blue Lions or Golden Deer... so many choices.

Glad to hear it holds up all the way through!

I need to say something real quick. It's a bit spoilery for the end of part 1, so, warning.

Spoiler

Can I just say, the Edelgard/Flame Emperor route SUCKS. It is so boring, low quality, and rushed. In the normal route, you get awesome, fully animated cut scenes, amazing characters, it feels like there is an actual war going on. If you side with Edelgard though, there are ZERO ANIMATED CUTSCENES. No cool action scenes, boring conversation, still images, and it is just not fun. Seriously, when Rhea turns into a monster, a small, still image appears on screen of the monster, with the other conversation  scene STILL IN THE BACKROUND. And afterward, it is just not fun. Seriously, I have this route to thank me going back to Hollow Knight. Thank goodness I went back and did the other route instead of finishing the other one. I might do that later, but for now I'm going to have fun.

Edited by Lord Furret

9 hours ago, Lord Furret said:

I need to say something real quick. It's a bit spoilery for the end of part 1, so, warning.

Reveal hidden contents

Can I just say, the Edelgard/Flame Emperor route SUCKS. It is so boring, low quality, and rushed. In the normal route, you get awesome, fully animated cut scenes, amazing characters, it feels like there is an actual war going on. If you side with Edelgard though, there are ZERO ANIMATED CUTSCENES. No cool action scenes, boring conversation, still images, and it is just not fun. Seriously, when Rhea turns into a monster, a small, still image appears on screen of the monster, with the other conversation  scene STILL IN THE BACKROUND. And afterward, it is just not fun. Seriously, I have this route to thank me going back to Hollow Knight. Thank goodness I went back and did the other route instead of finishing the other one. I might do that later, but for now I'm going to have fun.

download.jpg.f092d6cc5fc50a464d0fda37a96a003f.jpg

On 8/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, Wyndlerunner said:
  Reveal hidden contents

On 8/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

Speaking out of curiosity, what do people dislike about Fates? (I've heard that the story was not that great, but both versions of Fates have the same 4 and a half stars as Awakening does on Amazon, and are cheaper...)

I second everything @Lord Furret and @Pathfinder say on Awakening and Fates. To me Fates is bogged down by them trying recapture what made Awakening great, without it actually putting any logic into why it worked in Awakening. Had it taken those features out and tried to stand on it's own premise, it would have had a LOT more room to flesh out the story and the world. Maybe. Mechanically though, Fates is superior in every way. But if you're looking for memorable, (semi-)fleshed out characters*, a classic FE story, and an overall good time, Awakening is the way to go.

As for Three Houses, I've been absent because I've been playing as much as I can. Which isn't as much as my best friend (he's beating BE-E, BE-R, and is currently Part II of BL), but I'm finally to the last level of Golden Deer. My main team:

Blyeth - Dark Bishop (I just wanted to try it out and I've already maxed out his personal classes and Mortal Savant)

Claude - Special Class (maxed out)

Lysithea - Mortal Savant (she's maxed out this AND Gremory, but there's not enough time to get her to Holy Knight)

Leonie and Shamir - Bow Knights. Leonie is supported by Dark Knight Lorenz. 

Raphael - War Master

Felix - Mortal Savant

Flayn and Dorothea - Gremory

Hilda - Wyvern Lord 

Marianne - Dancer (I mostly did this for a silly head-canon idea I've since had to throw out, but since then I've really come to enjoy her as a Dancer. Between her solid sword skills, Thoron, and Physic, she ALWAYS has a use) 

Catherine on occasions - Falcon Knight

On standby: Ashe (recruited him too late), Ignatz (was good mid-game, but making him a Mortal Savant was a TERRIBLE choice IMO), Seteth (Didn't feel like using him), Cyril (mostly there for supports).

Next playthrough I'm doing Blue Lions. I'm torn as to who to make my Dancer: Flayn (because she asks so nicely and she can stay behind the front lines while providing support), Dorothea (it fits her personality, personal skill and strengths, and magic spells she learns) Lysithea (because it DOESN'T fit her personality yet it'd be hilarious, and her strengths actually do align), Ingrid (apparently she has the worst growths in the game, but I might want to use her and here is where she could be useful and still get level ups), or Marianne again (she was a really, REALLY good unit...but that also might be favoritism speaking).

Regrets: Not changing Byleth to Dark Mage sooner, not recruiting Lindhart (based on the little I know about his and Lysithea's ending, it's better than the pair I did...although the shared meal convos are really between him and Marianne, so...), not shipping Claude and Hilda (because they TOTALLY have a "friends with benefits" relationship going on...next time)

Main Waifu's: Shamir, Marianne, and Dorothea, with each taking the top spot depending on how I'm feeling. Flayn comes in fourth, as I feel like the game really ships them (A/A+ Support music comes on in her first scene for the goddess' sake!). Leonie comes in fifth, but I ship her and Lorenz HARD.

Husbando's: Claude. First through fifth is all Claude. Although I guess Seteth is a distance sixth.

Overall rating 9.5/10 so far. Great story with some pretty shocking twists. Phenomenal voice acting. Exceptional gameplay. Lovable characters. The .5 off is mostly because of my burnout and the fact that I don't think it'll take over Awakening as my favorite game (which officially took over Sacred Stones last year...but if I'm being honest with myself, it took over Sacred Stones years ago), but I'm willing to give it time. And let's be clear, Three Houses is objectively the better of the two games. But just because something is better doesn't mean you have to like it more. 

*I think the Awakening characters are fleshed out for the most part (notable exceptions being Say'ri and Validar), but others think they're just quirky. I can see that and am not that willing to fight it, hence the "semi". 

Edited by Use the Falchion

57 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

Got this on my birthday Friday, started playing last night!  Already blown away by it.  It's just so good already!  Going Blck Eagles round 1, I just like Edelgard too much!  Went with a male Byleth too.  Will probably use female Byleth in a different playthrough!

Went with a female Byleth for my current BL run. May or may not have named her Jasnah- because why the heck not.