Fire Emblem Three Houses

Pathfinder

After seeing the Famitsu article this morning I am officially hyped for this game. There were some "leaks" on Reddit and reading the non-spoilery ones (or at least most of the non-spoilery ones) I think this game has a lot of potential. I'm go all in on the gauntlets (I love Brave Weapons as well as shuriken/daggers in Fates, so yeah, I'm game). The character and class customization looks really deep and fun. It reminds me a bit of Disgaea (which reminds me I need to finish that...after Valkyria Chronicles 4...and Horizon Zero Dawn...and Witcher 3…maybe before Witcher 3, but that depends on when I get through those first two and when FE3H comes out...). It's like they took the best parts of Fates and Echoes for customization and are expanding on it.

The teacher system reminds me of Persona, which isn't a bad thing overall. But this time it's from Kawakami's point of view! ...no? No. Okay, moving on. Serenesforest's breakdown mentioned Trials of Cold Steel, so I'm on my way to YouTube to check that out today. 

Overall, I'm super pumped for this game. 

Things I hope to see:

Unique Supports: I LOVE supports. These are what keep me coming back to the game (that and shipping and the fun customization mechanics). Unique, varied supports that flesh out the characters is one of the main reasons I love the GBA games and Awakening. Radiant Dawn's generic supports nearly ruined the entire game for me, and Fates' supports felt the same for 90% of the characters (i.e. all supports with Nyx lead back to her curse, most supports with Laslow lead back to flirting, supports with Peri lead back to killing (although to be fair some hers actually discuss the morality of her murders and the reasons behind it, with her ending making it clear that while it does get fixed, it is NOT an instant one. Her skill with cooking also gets some good mentions, so in some ways she's actually MORE fleshed out than Nyx...she's just an immature, terrible human being). Give me this and some good gameplay and I can ignore the story entirely.

I'll even ignore the whole "hot for teacher or teacher/student romance" dynamic given that both Japan and the U.S. (where I'm based) have media involving this. It's wrong and it's gross and it should be called out wherever it is seen in reality; but this is a fantasy world where blue hair is normal. We'll live. 

A Path With All Characters: This is more tricky. At my heart I'm a collector. I love having all the characters and I feel physically hurt when I can't have them all (...except when killed Selena in Fates my first time. I actually cheered. I HATED Severa in Awakening). I'd pay for an extra DLC path with them all, but PLEASE DEAR NAGA LET THE STORY MAKE SENSE. I mean, I can ignore a bad story, but a good one makes the game so much smoother. 

The problem with this is the supports. When a cast gets too big the supports become generic. So maybe be able to gain the entire cast but limit who they can support? I'll take that compromise. 

Things I hope not to see: 

Child Units: I loved them in Awakening because the story made sense for them. I tolerated them in Fates because I liked the complexity they added to customization and inheritance; but the buck stops here! Firstly, at least the first part of this game is at a school setting, and unless the creators are going to address the unfortunate realities and difficulties of teenage pregnancies and ALL that entails, the politics of pregnancies at a school that's a microcosm for the entire continent, or the dissonance of medieval pregnancies and how young the mothers were, let's leave them out this time. Now, if there's a time-skip, I guess I can deal, but it would still be a little weird to me. But the game shouldn't bend over backwards to include them. If they really want them in a game, remake Genealogy (with Thracia 776 interlude or DLC?) and/or combine FE 6&7 into one game and remake them together. 

PvP Only Abilities: I don't like PVP because I like all my games to be single player games. I can stand coop modes and stories, but that's as far as I go. But because of this I hate it when I can't use an ability or feature or character because they're so focused around PvP play. It's annoying. 

3 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Still need to read the article, but count me hyped! Might pick up those NSOnline Vouchers in preparation for release of both this and Astral Chain.

I heard about that! Slightly off topic, but does Astral Chain look any good? Have we heard anything about it besides the Direct trailer? I'm interested in seeing it and hearing about it although I'll probably pass on it myself (I have enough games as it is lol!)

13 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I heard about that! Slightly off topic, but does Astral Chain look any good? Have we heard anything about it besides the Direct trailer? I'm interested in seeing it and hearing about it although I'll probably pass on it myself (I have enough games as it is lol!)

We haven’t gotten more than that trailer yet, but E3 is less than a month away. We’re bound to get plenty of gameplay there. GameXplain’s analysis of the trailer made me very intrigued, and Platinum Games, the developer, has a very good track record. I’m pretty hyped. Not as much as Fire Emblem, but very, very hyped.

Loving the inclusion of personal skills again. I definitely enjoy tailoring builds around a character's personal skill to make them unique. Having to remain within a class to benefit from its skills I am less enthused about, but just means it is something to balance against. Weapon skills including regarding gambits for even more customization is always great. Really curious about how the crests will play out. 

• 2 weeks later...

More details with the new Famitsu article! They are dropping a LOT on us* in a short amount of time, which to me makes it all but certain Three Houses will be at E3 this year. 

*by which I mean the Japanese audience and places that translate it for us.

https://serenesforest.net/2019/05/29/three-houses-famitsu-third-article-part-1-2-early-story-battle-system-new-classes/

https://serenesforest.net/2019/05/29/three-houses-famitsu-third-article-part-2-2-weekend-activities-new-character-details/#more-52185

I'm excited about all of this information, but I'm worried that I won't be able to explore the game to the fullest due to the constraints. But that's probably because I'm too used to the 3DS games lol! 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I do like the idea of a time skip; it makes it seem much more epic than just being confined to the monastery.

I will admit though, I was a little confused at first while watching the trailer.

I was too, and only realized it was a time skip because a youtuber titled their video that it is a time skip and then it all made sense. I thought "old" edelguard was just the flame emporer unmasked, that claude just grew facial hair, and I thought "old demitri" was a new character lol. Once I saw timeskip, it all made sense

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I laugh and clap my hands in delight, whilst my wallet composes a eulogy for its contents

Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, the Mana collection, and BotW 2 are all on my to get list.

My poor, poor bank account...

So this is unlikely I think because of what Claude says when the three reunite, but I wonder if the scenes from after the time skip are not all the same. As in we think they all meet like that, but in reality they took clips from three separate play throughs. That depending on which house you picked, the other rulers come out differently, potentially in opposition to you. So for instance, Dimitri could have become a bad guy stating to kill them all, while Edelguard became a cold and distant empress, but Claude is still nice and fun Claude because this play through had you picking his house. Another play through with Edelguard for instance would have her semi similar to her younger self, while Claude would look different and maybe all screwed up like Dimitri, and so on. Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

So this is unlikely I think because of what Claude says when the three reunite, but I wonder if the scenes from after the time skip are not all the same. As in we think they all meet like that, but in reality they took clips from three separate play throughs. That depending on which house you picked, the other rulers come out differently, potentially in opposition to you. So for instance, Dimitri could have become a bad guy stating to kill them all, while Edelguard became a cold and distant empress, but Claude is still nice and fun Claude because this play through had you picking his house. Another play through with Edelguard for instance would have her semi similar to her younger self, while Claude would look different and maybe all screwed up like Dimitri, and so on. Thoughts?

That's a good theory! I was thinking that Dimtri might not be talking about his former classmates in that scene, but whoever has attacked him. Or even weirder, I was thinking that the stories would be kind of like what Fates originally tried. Claude's story would be more in line Birthright in tone, Dimitri's would be Conquest, but you'd go fully down the path of villainy, and Edelgard's would be a better mix - you're doing what needs to be done for the greater good and dragging those along with you to that good. 

...I like your idea better. I'm not sure how many different character portraits each main character will have though...

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

That's a good theory! I was thinking that Dimtri might not be talking about his former classmates in that scene, but whoever has attacked him. Or even weirder, I was thinking that the stories would be kind of like what Fates originally tried. Claude's story would be more in line Birthright in tone, Dimitri's would be Conquest, but you'd go fully down the path of villainy, and Edelgard's would be a better mix - you're doing what needs to be done for the greater good and dragging those along with you to that good. 

...I like your idea better. I'm not sure how many different character portraits each main character will have though...

If it IS what Fates tried, hopefully they pull it off better this time.

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Thank you! It could very well be like you said, all one scene where they reunite against one real big bad. A separate big bad has been spoiled online, but I do not know how much people would or would not like to know, so I won't say. That is an interesting idea too regarding each house having its own level of difficulty/style. Well theoretically if my theory is correct, each character would need three. One from before the time skip, one for after the time skip but they are the chosen house, and one for after the time skip but they were not the chosen house. It would be additional work, but I really hope they all don't end up joining forces right after the time skip, so you get access to all the houses, making the initial choice in my mind pointless. The treehouse gameplay where the woman makes the point to say how choosing your house might lead to which side of the war you end up on to come makes me hope which house you pick does matter in so far as requiring multiple play throughs to play with all the characters. 

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

If it IS what Fates tried, hopefully they pull it off better this time.

Hope so too!

So I read through all the Thanibomb leaks (the ones that little by little have been getting confirmed). All told I hope they are right because it is for the most part everything I am hoping for. For a few of the details in particular I have spoiled them below

Spoiler

1. each route gets the same amount of characters

2. at least one unique beast unit (I am hoping a lion one, a eagle one, and a deer one to go along with each land/house

3. the three houses are antagonistic towards each other after the time skip

4. there are four paths in total, with the fourth path not ending in a happily every after

5. some characters aren't perminant

6. recruit one person from another house

7. you will fight the other houses and the students you fight will die

4 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

So I read through all the Thanibomb leaks (the ones that little by little have been getting confirmed). All told I hope they are right because it is for the most part everything I am hoping for. For a few of the details in particular I have spoiled them below

Reveal hidden contents

1. each route gets the same amount of characters

2. at least one unique beast unit (I am hoping a lion one, a eagle one, and a deer one to go along with each land/house

3. the three houses are antagonistic towards each other after the time skip

4. there are four paths in total, with the fourth path not ending in a happily every after

5. some characters aren't perminant

6. recruit one person from another house

7. you will fight the other houses and the students you fight will die

Ah Thanibomb, the Herald of the fandom we didn't know we needed. I read a few of those when it came out, but I haven't read all of them yet, so I'm gonna keep that tab closed lol! The ones I did read are the ones that have been confirmed (with the exception of one that has yet to be confirmed and really hope it's false! 

Said Spoiler.

Spoiler

I don't want Lysithea to die!

Either way July can't come here fast enough!

15 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Ah Thanibomb, the Herald of the fandom we didn't know we needed. I read a few of those when it came out, but I haven't read all of them yet, so I'm gonna keep that tab closed lol! The ones I did read are the ones that have been confirmed (with the exception of one that has yet to be confirmed and really hope it's false! 

Said Spoiler.

Hide contents

I don't want Lysithea to die!

Either way July can't come here fast enough!

Lol, there is one thing I listed in my spoiler tag that I think I can post out for anyone to see that I really hope is true. At least one beast class! I really enjoyed the fox and wolf classes in Fates, so I hope they make a come back. I was afraid because I hadn't seen any among the class mates, that they nixed it. What would be really cool to me is if each house recruited one that coincides to their house's emblem. So a lion for the blue lions, a bird unit for the black eagles, and a deer for the golden deers. As to the one that you hope is false:

Spoiler

Just curiosity, any reason you especially like Lysithea? Nothing against her, just wondering why you like her in particular.