Fire Emblem Three Houses

Pathfinder

While not exclusively Three Houses, the latest dancing alt banner for Heroes dropped last night, and Chris Hackney is voicing Quan while Allegra Clark is voicing Ethlyn. 

All this means that Dimitri is "married" to Dorothea (or Shamir!) in another universe. The two are hamming it up on Twitter as well. 

It also should be noted that Hackney's first FE role was as Boey in Echoes. Who's significant other is Mae, voiced by Cherami Leigh...aka Best Girl Makoto Rhea...so Dimitri also married Rhea in another another universe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimplyAllegra/status/1302446734388338688

17 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

It also should be noted that Hackney's first FE role was as Boey in Echoes.

Gosh that role doesn't get nearly enough love. Sure it lacks Dimitri's nuances, but Boey is such a fun character in that game, and it's mostly due to Hackney's performance

About a month or so ago, I made a support for Azura and Saul, taking place in my head-canon fanfiction-y alternate Three Houses world, where Soleil, Shigure, and Saul are all siblings and children of Azura. It's not perfect, and this probably isn't the place to put it, but I'm proud of it and wanted to share. The recommended accompanying song is "Be Encouraged" by Elle Varner.

Azura and Saul C Support:

Spoiler

Saul: My, my, the Goddess truly has blessed me. 

*Azura walks by.*

Saul: Excuse me madam, but would you like to join me for a cup of tea?

*Azura pauses to look at Saul.*

Azura: Aren't you a little young to be flirting?

Saul: Flirting? I'm just asking for a chance to talk about the Goddess' blessings over some nice refreshments.

Azura: Uh-huh. Is that what they call it now? Speaking of which, I'm sure your beloved Goddess wouldn't want you to miss the latest sermon, would she?

Saul: I'm not sure what you...oh no, I'm late! Forgive me my lady; tea will have to wait. But as a parting, may I at least know your name? So I can pray for you, of course.

*Azura chuckles.*

Azura: It's Azura. And yours?

Saul: Saul, my lady. May we meet again!

*Saul rushes off*

Azura: ...Saul...could it be...?

Azura and Saul B Support: 

Spoiler

Saul: Yeesh, Father Yoder knows how to stretch a scolding out...we missed dinner! ...and now he'll probably want me to bring him some...Saul, you're too selfless! ...wait, is that...

*Azura dances*

Azura: That should do it for tonight. 

Saul: That was beautiful!

Azura: Saul?! How long were you watching? 

Saul: Not long Lady Azura, I assure you. But your dance was breathtaking! 

Azura: Thank you for the flattery Saul, but I'm afraid the dance will never be what it was before. 

Saul: What do you mean?

Azura: The dance is called "Sun Showers over Indigo Flowers." Gaudy name, I know. 

Saul: No, no I can see it. 

Azura: It's a duet, but time changes all routines, and not every partner can stay in step. 

Saul: Well, if you need a new partner, how about me?

Azura: I beg your pardon?

Saul: I'll dance with you! Holding me close as you teach me the steps...few things are better than that! Being embraced by a woman is one of the Goddess' greatest blessings after all. 

Azura: I see. You're a little young to know the hold of a woman. 

Saul: Nonsense! Three of my four greatest embraces were by those of the fairer sex!

Azura: ...

Saul: *Blushing* ...

Saul: So...I know you don't need it, but sometimes, having a companion or even just a talking buddy can be nice...

Azura: I'm sorry, but this routine and my thoughts are mine, and mine alone.

Saul: I...I see. Are there any other dances you'd like to practice tonight? Any that need partners? I have some time on my hands!

Azura: Saul, you're a sweet child. But no, I think not. It's getting late, if you'll excuse me. 

*Azura leaves*

Saul: ...couldn't you see...?

Azura and Saul A Support: 

Spoiler

*Saul walks by*

Azura: Saul! There you are!

Saul: Lady Azura? It's been a while, I'm glad the Goddess has kept you safe. Is there something you need from me? Tea perhaps?

Azura: Brother Saul...I'd like to confess. 

Saul: I see. Let us head to the chapel then, shall we. 

*Scene changes to the chapel*

Saul: Now, my child, what are your confessions?

Azura: They are for a...friend of mine. 

Saul: I understand. What would the friend like to confess?

Azura: Years ago, my friend was in a dark place...children are supposed to be a light in a mother's life, right? My...friend's children were supposed to be that to her, but they weren't. The only one she cared about was the middle child. Those days were so dark...she felt like she was a failure of a mother, and that made her feel like she was losing herself, which made her feel like a failure of a mother in a vicious cycle. There was no end in sight. 

Saul: ...

Azura: She had a daughter that loved her, but she couldn't seem to care about or even relate to. And her youngest son...he was always so happy, so he'd be just as happy without her...right? But her middle child, she felt something towards him she couldn't feel towards the other two...one day, when it was too much, she took him and ran. From her husband, from her other children, from the life she had. She ran home, to her family and to get help. 

Saul: ...go on...

Azura: She meant to come back, she really did! ...but by the time she felt stable enough, her husband had passed, and her children were gone in the wind. So, ashamed, she went home to the one child she still had. Years later, she saw her other children again, if only for a brief time. They had grown so much, and neither side knew how to navigate their relationship, so they all acted like it didn't exist. But now, once again, she can see them. And this time, she wants to do things right.

Azura: It's too late to be a mother to them, but is it too late to be in their lives, maybe as a mentor? Tell me Saul, how does she make this right? How can she atone? How can she ask for forgiveness, when she would do most of it over again if it meant dealing with that darkness? 

Saul: ...I think I have an answer...

Azura: Please, anything!

Saul: But first, may I tell a story?

Saul: Long ago, a friend of my own was left by his mother. He was young then, too young to understand what was really going on. But his first memories are crying for a woman he can't even remember now. 

Azura: Oh Saul...

Saul: His next memory is his sister embracing him, telling him that she misses their mother and brother too. And then he remembers their father, swooping them up in his big arms for a great big hug, while they all cried. But as soon as things were adjusting there, my friend's father died in a great tragedy. Another loss my friend couldn't understand.

Azura: I'm so...

Saul: My friend and his sister drifted around for a bit, until she was taken in by a mercenary company. They still traveled a lot, but they never worried about a roof over their heads. But that didn't erase the boy's pain. He was mad, Lady Azura. Mad at his mother for leaving, his father for dying, and the Goddess for making them suffer through so much. 

Azura: I...I didn't...

Saul: One day they passed a church, and the speaker there was no other than the great Lady Rhea. And you wouldn't believe it; in the middle of her sermon my friend gets up and starts screaming at the Archbishop! He starts yelling at her that it's the Goddess' fault for everything, and that he hates her and refuses to believe in anything. As he's screaming, the Archbishop takes this kid and, instead of punishing him, she just hugs him. She starts crying - can you imagine it, the Archbishop crying - for the pain this kid she doesn't even know has had to go through. And Lady Rhea tells my friend that she knows that his life has been hard, but he's not alone. The Goddess is with him, watching him. And then she lets the kid just cry, ruining all of her good clothing, until he falls asleep. 

Azura: Lady Rhea is a great woman... 

Saul: And the next day, my friend woke up, and in the warmth of the sun and light, he felt her. 

Azura: Who?

Saul: The Goddess. He felt her embrace, and she's never left him since. It was that day my friend decided he'd dedicate his life to the Church. 

Azura: You have no idea how much that warms my heart to hear. 

Saul: Ah! But we're not at the answer just yet. My friend's journey has a little more to go. 

Azura: If you have time, I'd like to hear it. 

Saul: Lady Azura, confessions have no time limit. We're here for you. But yes, let's continue the story. Working as a pastor, my friend soon saw that everyone fails, and forgiveness is harder than it looks. Soon, he learned how to approach those, and in healing others, he himself was healed. If I'm not imposing too much, could you relay a message to you..r friend?

Azura: I'd love to.

Saul: My friend forgave his mother for not being there because she had her own demons to wrestle with. And he forgave her for not being the mother that he needed. He's doing fine now, and if he can forgive his mother, maybe it's time for your friend to forgive herself...do you understand?

Azura: I think I do. Thank you so much Saul.

Saul: It's what the church is for. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a bit parched.

Azura: How about some tea? My treat.

Saul: Now this is a reversal! Well, I won't say no to that!

Azura: Also...

*Azura hugs Saul*

Azura: I'm so sorry, and I'm so proud of you. 

*Azura lets go*

Azura: Now let's get going. I know a great place. 

*Azura walks off*

Saul: Goddess...I truly am blessed...

Author's Notes: 

Spoiler

The C and B supports aren't that long compared to the A support, and honestly feel like GBA era or really short 3DS era supports. But I feel like their length is good enough. I'd really like one more support between the two (probably a B+ support), but I'm not sure what it would cover. I did consider splitting up the A support as well, but I didn't want to ruin the flow of the story and the emotional impact. 

I'm really proud of the A support. I feel like it touches on some themes that I wanted this support to explore in nature of forgiveness and faith, and even has a little piece of myself in it! 

If it wasn't clear, Azura was suffering from Post-Partum Depression. She recognized this and went to get help (a very buried reference to her mysterious disappearances in two of the three routes in Fates). 

Saul is about 12-13 in the Academy Arc and 17-18 in the War Arc, which is why Azura notes that he's a little young to hit on women. Saul calling Azura "my child" in the A support has to do more with his position in the church - as a spiritual "father" of sorts, all of those who believe in the church are his "children." I may change that to "sister," since he's technically a Brother and not a Father in the church just yet, but I kind of like it where it is. 

Forgiveness is always a tricky thing, and I think if I ever write Soleil's support with Azura (I have most of it mapped out; I just need to write it) y'all'll find that Azura and Soleil's relationship is completely different. I weirdly don't have one for Shigure and Azura though. I feel like it'd be pretty similar to her normal supports with Shigure in Fates, but maybe it'll come to me eventually. In terms of Shigure's relationships with his siblings, I think he and Soleil would have a stronger bond than he and Saul would. Saul wouldn't remember Shigure, and Shigure's a pretty quite and shy dude, so the two would have a rough go at connecting. (Another thing Azura could probably have some angst about). Meanwhile Soleil would want to know EVERYTHING about her lost little brother. 

Other planned supports in this alternate world version: 

Azura and Soleil -

Dorothea and Soleil - They totally dated, and their supports would be about them figuring out what went wrong before and seeing if they really want to try again. By the end of their A+, they decide to get back together. 

Sylvain and Soleil - Sylvain and Soleil would notice that the other doesn't flirt with them, and the two would admit that they'd be fine with their opposite falling in love with them...and then they'd engage in hijinks to make sure that happens. (If you've read or watched Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War, then you know what sort of dynamic I'm aiming for here.) Their A support would be Soleil failing at dancing in private; Sylvain spots her, and Soleil expects him to lord it over her. Instead, he pulls her in close and the two slow dance, both realizing that they fell for the other person a long time ago. 

Leonie and Dorothy (?) - I potentially have them as sisters in my head, but I also have Dorothy as a survivor of Remire Village. I'm not sure which I'll go with yet. 

Felix and Soleil

Flayn and Saul (?) - I could see it being like Maribelle and Olivia's support, where they go out and flirt, and it's hilarious. Or it could totally be a philosophical discussion about the nature of the Saints and what constitutes a Saint. (It all started because Saul was admiring Saint Cethleann, and Flayn insisted that she was as good as Cethleann, where Saul completely - and humorously - disagrees. From there it could go into how people in history have had all of their flaws and mistakes stripped away, and...well...I'll see where the road takes me.)

Asugi and Cyril

Shiro and Catherine

Catherine and Cyril 

Edited by Use the Falchion

On 9/12/2020 at 1:40 AM, Use the Falchion said:

About a month or so ago, I made a support for Azura and Saul, taking place in my head-canon fanfiction-y alternate Three Houses world, where Soleil, Shigure, and Saul are all siblings and children of Azura. It's not perfect, and this probably isn't the place to put it, but I'm proud of it and wanted to share. The recommended accompanying song is "Be Encouraged" by Elle Varner.

Azura and Saul C Support:

Reveal hidden contents

Saul: My, my, the Goddess truly has blessed me. 

*Azura walks by.*

Saul: Excuse me madam, but would you like to join me for a cup of tea?

*Azura pauses to look at Saul.*

Azura: Aren't you a little young to be flirting?

Saul: Flirting? I'm just asking for a chance to talk about the Goddess' blessings over some nice refreshments.

Azura: Uh-huh. Is that what they call it now? Speaking of which, I'm sure your beloved Goddess wouldn't want you to miss the latest sermon, would she?

Saul: I'm not sure what you...oh no, I'm late! Forgive me my lady; tea will have to wait. But as a parting, may I at least know your name? So I can pray for you, of course.

*Azura chuckles.*

Azura: It's Azura. And yours?

Saul: Saul, my lady. May we meet again!

*Saul rushes off*

Azura: ...Saul...could it be...?

Azura and Saul B Support: 

Reveal hidden contents

Saul: Yeesh, Father Yoder knows how to stretch a scolding out...we missed dinner! ...and now he'll probably want me to bring him some...Saul, you're too selfless! ...wait, is that...

*Azura dances*

Azura: That should do it for tonight. 

Saul: That was beautiful!

Azura: Saul?! How long were you watching? 

Saul: Not long Lady Azura, I assure you. But your dance was breathtaking! 

Azura: Thank you for the flattery Saul, but I'm afraid the dance will never be what it was before. 

Saul: What do you mean?

Azura: The dance is called "Sun Showers over Indigo Flowers." Gaudy name, I know. 

Saul: No, no I can see it. 

Azura: It's a duet, but time changes all routines, and not every partner can stay in step. 

Saul: Well, if you need a new partner, how about me?

Azura: I beg your pardon?

Saul: I'll dance with you! Holding me close as you teach me the steps...few things are better than that! Being embraced by a woman is one of the Goddess' greatest blessings after all. 

Azura: I see. You're a little young to know the hold of a woman. 

Saul: Nonsense! Three of my four greatest embraces were by those of the fairer sex!

Saul: *Blushing* ...

Saul: So...I know you don't need it, but sometimes, having a companion or even just a talking buddy can be nice...

Azura: I'm sorry, but this routine and my thoughts are mine, and mine alone.

Saul: I...I see. Are there any other dances you'd like to practice tonight? Any that need partners? I have some time on my hands!

Azura: Saul, you're a sweet child. But no, I think not. It's getting late, if you'll excuse me. 

*Azura leaves*

Saul: ...couldn't you see...?

Azura and Saul A Support: 

Reveal hidden contents

*Saul walks by*

Azura: Saul! There you are!

Saul: Lady Azura? It's been a while, I'm glad the Goddess has kept you safe. Is there something you need from me? Tea perhaps?

Azura: Brother Saul...I'd like to confess. 

Saul: I see. Let us head to the chapel then, shall we. 

*Scene changes to the chapel*

Saul: Now, my child, what are your confessions?

Azura: They are for a...friend of mine. 

Saul: I understand. What would the friend like to confess?

Azura: Years ago, my friend was in a dark place...children are supposed to be a light in a mother's life, right? My...friend's children were supposed to be that to her, but they weren't. The only one she cared about was the middle child. Those days were so dark...she felt like she was a failure of a mother, and that made her feel like she was losing herself, which made her feel like a failure of a mother in a vicious cycle. There was no end in sight. 

Azura: She had a daughter that loved her, but she couldn't seem to care about or even relate to. And her youngest son...he was always so happy, so he'd be just as happy without her...right? But her middle child, she felt something towards him she couldn't feel towards the other two...one day, when it was too much, she took him and ran. From her husband, from her other children, from the life she had. She ran home, to her family and to get help. 

Saul: ...go on...

Azura: She meant to come back, she really did! ...but by the time she felt stable enough, her husband had passed, and her children were gone in the wind. So, ashamed, she went home to the one child she still had. Years later, she saw her other children again, if only for a brief time. They had grown so much, and neither side knew how to navigate their relationship, so they all acted like it didn't exist. But now, once again, she can see them. And this time, she wants to do things right.

Azura: It's too late to be a mother to them, but is it too late to be in their lives, maybe as a mentor? Tell me Saul, how does she make this right? How can she atone? How can she ask for forgiveness, when she would do most of it over again if it meant dealing with that darkness? 

Saul: ...I think I have an answer...

Azura: Please, anything!

Saul: But first, may I tell a story?

Saul: Long ago, a friend of my own was left by his mother. He was young then, too young to understand what was really going on. But his first memories are crying for a woman he can't even remember now. 

Azura: Oh Saul...

Saul: His next memory is his sister embracing him, telling him that she misses their mother and brother too. And then he remembers their father, swooping them up in his big arms for a great big hug, while they all cried. But as soon as things were adjusting there, my friend's father died in a great tragedy. Another loss my friend couldn't understand.

Azura: I'm so...

Saul: My friend and his sister drifted around for a bit, until she was taken in by a mercenary company. They still traveled a lot, but they never worried about a roof over their heads. But that didn't erase the boy's pain. He was mad, Lady Azura. Mad at his mother for leaving, his father for dying, and the Goddess for making them suffer through so much. 

Azura: I...I didn't...

Saul: One day they passed a church, and the speaker there was no other than the great Lady Rhea. And you wouldn't believe it; in the middle of her sermon my friend gets up and starts screaming at the Archbishop! He starts yelling at her that it's the Goddess' fault for everything, and that he hates her and refuses to believe in anything. As he's screaming, the Archbishop takes this kid and, instead of punishing him, she just hugs him. She starts crying - can you imagine it, the Archbishop crying - for the pain this kid she doesn't even know has had to go through. And Lady Rhea tells my friend that she knows that his life has been hard, but he's not alone. The Goddess is with him, watching him. And then she lets the kid just cry, ruining all of her good clothing, until he falls asleep. 

Azura: Lady Rhea is a great woman... 

Saul: And the next day, my friend woke up, and in the warmth of the sun and light, he felt her. 

Azura: Who?

Saul: The Goddess. He felt her embrace, and she's never left him since. It was that day my friend decided he'd dedicate his life to the Church. 

Azura: You have no idea how much that warms my heart to hear. 

Saul: Ah! But we're not at the answer just yet. My friend's journey has a little more to go. 

Azura: If you have time, I'd like to hear it. 

Saul: Lady Azura, confessions have no time limit. We're here for you. But yes, let's continue the story. Working as a pastor, my friend soon saw that everyone fails, and forgiveness is harder than it looks. Soon, he learned how to approach those, and in healing others, he himself was healed. If I'm not imposing too much, could you relay a message to you..r friend?

Azura: I'd love to.

Saul: My friend forgave his mother for not being there because she had her own demons to wrestle with. And he forgave her for not being the mother that he needed. He's doing fine now, and if he can forgive his mother, maybe it's time for your friend to forgive herself...do you understand?

Azura: I think I do. Thank you so much Saul.

Saul: It's what the church is for. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a bit parched.

Azura: How about some tea? My treat.

Saul: Now this is a reversal! Well, I won't say no to that!

Azura: Also...

*Azura hugs Saul*

Azura: I'm so sorry, and I'm so proud of you. 

*Azura lets go*

Azura: Now let's get going. I know a great place. 

*Azura walks off*

Saul: Goddess...I truly am blessed...

Author's Notes: 

Reveal hidden contents

The C and B supports aren't that long compared to the A support, and honestly feel like GBA era or really short 3DS era supports. But I feel like their length is good enough. I'd really like one more support between the two (probably a B+ support), but I'm not sure what it would cover. I did consider splitting up the A support as well, but I didn't want to ruin the flow of the story and the emotional impact. 

I'm really proud of the A support. I feel like it touches on some themes that I wanted this support to explore in nature of forgiveness and faith, and even has a little piece of myself in it! 

If it wasn't clear, Azura was suffering from Post-Partum Depression. She recognized this and went to get help (a very buried reference to her mysterious disappearances in two of the three routes in Fates). 

Saul is about 12-13 in the Academy Arc and 17-18 in the War Arc, which is why Azura notes that he's a little young to hit on women. Saul calling Azura "my child" in the A support has to do more with his position in the church - as a spiritual "father" of sorts, all of those who believe in the church are his "children." I may change that to "sister," since he's technically a Brother and not a Father in the church just yet, but I kind of like it where it is. 

Forgiveness is always a tricky thing, and I think if I ever write Soleil's support with Azura (I have most of it mapped out; I just need to write it) y'all'll find that Azura and Soleil's relationship is completely different. I weirdly don't have one for Shigure and Azura though. I feel like it'd be pretty similar to her normal supports with Shigure in Fates, but maybe it'll come to me eventually. In terms of Shigure's relationships with his siblings, I think he and Soleil would have a stronger bond than he and Saul would. Saul wouldn't remember Shigure, and Shigure's a pretty quite and shy dude, so the two would have a rough go at connecting. (Another thing Azura could probably have some angst about). Meanwhile Soleil would want to know EVERYTHING about her lost little brother. 

Other planned supports in this alternate world version: 

Azura and Soleil -

Dorothea and Soleil - They totally dated, and their supports would be about them figuring out what went wrong before and seeing if they really want to try again. By the end of their A+, they decide to get back together. 

Sylvain and Soleil - Sylvain and Soleil would notice that the other doesn't flirt with them, and the two would admit that they'd be fine with their opposite falling in love with them...and then they'd engage in hijinks to make sure that happens. (If you've read or watched Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War, then you know what sort of dynamic I'm aiming for here.) Their A support would be Soleil failing at dancing in private; Sylvain spots her, and Soleil expects him to lord it over her. Instead, he pulls her in close and the two slow dance, both realizing that they fell for the other person a long time ago. 

Leonie and Dorothy (?) - I potentially have them as sisters in my head, but I also have Dorothy as a survivor of Remire Village. I'm not sure which I'll go with yet. 

Felix and Soleil

Flayn and Saul (?) - I could see it being like Maribelle and Olivia's support, where they go out and flirt, and it's hilarious. Or it could totally be a philosophical discussion about the nature of the Saints and what constitutes a Saint. (It all started because Saul was admiring Saint Cethleann, and Flayn insisted that she was as good as Cethleann, where Saul completely - and humorously - disagrees. From there it could go into how people in history have had all of their flaws and mistakes stripped away, and...well...I'll see where the road takes me.)

Asugi and Cyril

Shiro and Catherine

Catherine and Cyril 

I’ll start by saying that I’ve never played FE Three Houses (or any FE game), but man you made me care about two unknown characters in a world I know nothing about. Excellent writing, I loved reading A Support especially.

2 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I’ll start by saying that I’ve never played FE Three Houses (or any FE game), but man you made me care about two unknown characters in a world I know nothing about. Excellent writing, I loved reading A Support especially.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully I'll do a few more of these soon. Hilariously, both characters are from different games (Blazing Sword for Saul and Fates for Azura), but I highly recommend Three Houses if you have a Switch. The stories - while not perfect - are well done, the gameplay is addicting once you get the hang of it, and the cast is wonderful. 

25 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully I'll do a few more of these soon. Hilariously, both characters are from different games (Blazing Sword for Saul and Fates for Azura), but I highly recommend Three Houses if you have a Switch. The stories - while not perfect - are well done, the gameplay is addicting once you get the hang of it, and the cast is wonderful. 

I kinda want to, but I know that if I start, it will be a rabbit hole that I’ll never get out of. The game alone will probably take up much of my time as I explore it inside and out, play through it’s different story lines, fiddle with mechanics and stats to try and find the perfect team. Not to mention, after that, I’ll need to know the entire story line of all the other FE games, and then I’ll want to buy those games so I can experience them first hand, spend lots of money and time, etc. Who knows, maybe I’d enjoy TH a lot and be satisfied with that, but I’m still hesitant so as not to sell my soul

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I kinda want to, but I know that if I start, it will be a rabbit hole that I’ll never get out of. The game alone will probably take up much of my time as I explore it inside and out, play through it’s different story lines, fiddle with mechanics and stats to try and find the perfect team. Not to mention, after that, I’ll need to know the entire story line of all the other FE games, and then I’ll want to buy those games so I can experience them first hand, spend lots of money and time, etc. Who knows, maybe I’d enjoy TH a lot and be satisfied with that, but I’m still hesitant so as not to sell my soul

Ha! That's fair. Most of the other games are standalones or direct sequels ala Final Fantasy, have the same archetypes for their characters (the "Jagen," the "Cain & Abel" cavaliers, etc.), and many follow the same general story of "a noble's kingdom is invaded by an evil empire, and now they must raise an army consisting of a ragtag group of misfits and take back their home country." These aren't bad things at all, nor do they encapsulate the entire saga, but they will help fill in the games for the games that are harder to find or you decide not to play. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

3 Houses is easily one of my favorite games of all time. It is a game that has kept me captivated time and time again. In other words, I highly recommend you give it a try. It also is among the more forgiving FE games difficulty-wise with turn resetting mechanics like Divine pulse (as opposed to older games, where one tiny miscalculation can cause you to need to reset an entire chapter). 

@Truthless of ShinovarI'm seconding everything @Wyndlerunneris saying about Three Houses. 

Continuing on the fan-fiction-y support chains, I FINALLY wrote Soleil and Azura's Three Houses support chain! There's a solid chance I'll go back and revise it eventually. But for now, enjoy!

C Support:

Spoiler

Soleil: Lady Azura, there you are!

Azura: Can I help you Miss...?

Soleil: Soleil. Soleil Lowell.

Azura: Yes, can I help you, Miss Soleil?

Soleil: Indeed you can! I've heard about you. Everyone says you're a great dancer. My mother was a dancer you see...and I think I could learn a lot from you. 

Azura: ...uh-huh. So you would like to be my student?

Soleil: That's right! I think this will work out best for everyone. Everyone loves a gal who can dance, and you get me as an apprentice! It makes you look pretty magnanimous, don't you think?

Azura: ...heh, indeed it does. 

Soleil: And if that's the sound agreement, let's shake on it. Master and apprentice, okay? No closer, no further; no more and no less. 

Azura: Fair enough. Master and apprentice, no more and no less.

B Support: 

Spoiler

Azura: ...and one, and two, and OUCH!

Soleil: Sorry! I'm so sorry! Ah, I'm so clumsy...

Azura: It's fine. A bruised toe is normal. Let's take a quick break.

Soleil: Yes ma'am. 

Azura: It's a little amusing to see you so confident on the battlefield and so cautious when you dance. Soleil, why do you want to dance?

Soleil: Ah ah ah. That breaks the rules doesn't it? 

Azura: Hardly! I can't help motivate my students if I don't know what inspires them. Besides, you're so talented in other areas; I'm sure boys and girls love you already.

Soleil: Like I said, everyone loves a gal who can dance. 

Azura: *sighs* I'm pretty sure that's not the real reason, but I'll let it slide. ...actually, if you'll allow me one more question - have you ever visited the Mittelfrank Opera?

Soleil: Once or twice when I was in Enbarr and money was good. Why?

Azura: Little Dorothea mentioned having a paramour who had trouble dancing in nearly the exact same way-

Soleil: And that's a long enough break! Let's get back to work!

Azura: Heh. Fate works in mysterious ways. 

Soleil: What was that? 

Azura: Nothing. Let's take it from the top.

Soleil: Yes ma'am!

B+ Support

Spoiler

Villager: Soleil, you're too reckless!

Soleil: Oh don't worry about me, it's a scratch!

Villager: Even scratches can lead to infections, and this is far more than a scratch! Please, let's go to a healer. We can go dancing another time. 

Soleil: Or, we can go to the healer and dance tonight, just by ourselves~

Villager: *Blushing* 

Azura: That's enough. 

Villager: Lady Azura!

Azura: Thank you for your assistance. I'll take her back to the monastery and to Professor Manuela. 

Villager: I understand. 

*Villager leaves*

Azura: Soleil what were you thinking?

Soleil: ...I was fine.

Azura: You skip out on dance practice after a battle - which you even didn't bother to tell me about - in order to flirt? Does your professor even know you're here?

Soleil: They're having a festival! I need to put to work what I practice! That's the only way to see if it works, right?

Azura: There will be other festivals! What you did was reckless!

Soleil: I'm fine!

Azura: And the next time? What if the blade was poisoned? What if the enemy uses Dark Magic? If your professors can't discipline you, then it's up to me; not just as your teacher, but also as your mother-

Soleil: Mother? Mother? Don't toss that word around so easily. Mother...what a joke. You're not my mother. A mother doesn't kidnap one of her children and abandon the other two. A mother doesn't come back years later and act like she doesn't even recognize her own blood. I shouldn't have had to reach out first!

Azura: Soleil I was just trying to say-

Soleil: What? You were just trying to say what? That after ten years missing you finally care about me? No, it's too late for that. 

Soleil: You know what? These lessons aren't working out. Let's just end them. Thanks for coming by Lady Azura, but I can make it to the monastery on my own.

A Support: 

Spoiler

Azura: Soleil! There you are! 

Soleil: Lady Azura. You seem to be doing well.

Azura: As well as one can be doing during war. I've heard about your exploits all the way back in my hometown. Would you allow me the honor of tea sometime? I'd love to catch up.

Soleil: I'm...not sure that's a good idea. 

Azura: Oh. I...I see. 

Soleil: I'm not mad at you, not anymore at least. But I think your time would be spent getting to know Saul, or helping the Professor or your students. This is war after all. 

Azura: Soleil, you're one my students too. 

Soleil: Look, now just isn't a good time, okay? I've lived without your support so far, so I'll be fine without it now. I'll...I'll reach out when I'm ready. 

Azura: ...I understand. 

*Soleil starts to leave*

Azura: Soleil!

*Soleil stops*

Azura: I'm not going anywhere. Not this time. 

Soleil: ...

A+ Support: 

Spoiler

Soleil: And one and two and Ah!

*falling sound effect*

Soleil: damnation it damnation it damnation it! Why can't I ever get that turn!? Why am I the only one...

Azura: You're hesitating.

Soleil: Gah!

Azura: Ah! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt. 

Soleil: *Blushing* What are you doing here? Are you watching? How long have you been watching?

Azura: The entire time. You've been practicing, even during a war...? And...that was your father's dance, wasn't it? 

Soleil: ...

Azura: Did you father teach you after I...

Soleil: After you left and before he was murdered? Yeah, he taught me. I wasn't much of a student, but it was fun. 

Azura: No, I can see it. It's just...

Soleil: I'm not a good dancer, right? No use in hiding it. I know.

Azura: I never said that! I don't remember you dancing much when you were younger, that's all. 

Soleil: Honestly, you never had to. You wanted to know why I wanted to learn to dance, right? It was because of you.

Azura: Me? 

Soleil: Yup. Sure, father told me stories about how good of a dancer his mother was, but I wanted to be just like you. I watched you and father dance all the time. You were so graceful, so ethereal, so beautiful. You were my hero and my personal own Saint...and what little girl doesn't want to be like her mother?

Soleil: But every dance, every day felt like I was fighting for your affection. I'd try to sing or dance and you always got this...look in your eye. Like I was an annoyance. 

Azura: Soleil...those days...I was in a dark place. 

Soleil: I know. 

Azura: You...do?

Soleil: I visited your homeland during the early parts of the war. Asked around, got some info, heard the story. So when I say I'm happy for you, please believe it. But...this? Us? That's the price. 

Azura: I know. Deep down, I think I've always known... For what it's worth, when I say I'm glad to see you safe, please believe it as well. I'm sorry for intruding, and I hope someday you'll take me up on that offer for tea. 

*Azura turns to leave*

Soleil: ...I was glad you know. 

Azura: Pardon?

Soleil: When you scolded me, all of those years ago. When you said you were my mother. A part of me - that little girl inside of me - was glad that you finally acknowledged me. But we can't turn back time. Even if we could, I'm not sure I'd want to. I like who I am now. That little girl grew up into a strong woman.

Azura: A strong, smart, beautiful woman. 

Soleil: And that woman...she can't go back to being the little girl who wants nothing more than her mother's praise. She can't. Maybe the woman she's grown into will be willing to make a new bond, but not today. Not right now...I promise I'll reach out when I'm ready.

Azura: Like I said, I'm not going anywhere. 

Author's Notes: 

Spoiler

This was the first support that came to mind. It started out as a head-canon modified version of Soleil and Azura's existing relationship in Fates. If Soleil was a more fleshed out character, how would she feel about being the only person in her family (that she knows of) that can't sing or dance? Inigo, Oliva, Azura, Arete, and even Shigure can all sing and/or dance. How would that affect her psyche? Is her happiness a façade? Was she shy because she felt like she couldn't fit in? Would it cause friction between Soleil and the rest of her family? 

In the end, my head-canon is that Soleil learned to accept her flaws as a part of herself, and bloomed into a beautiful and confident woman much like her aunt. (And her mercenary troupe mirrors her paternal grandfather's militia.) 

I took remnants of that head-canon and combined them with the more mature approach to characters Three Houses took, and the story sort of wrote itself. This version of Soleil's a far darker character, but I think the darkness sharpened her to a far more interesting one as well. 

Now to the supports themselves:

The amount of supports was never really planned. I knew I'd need the base C, B & A, but I wasn't sure beyond that.

The C support, like Saul and Azura's B support, is all about reestablishing contact without being TOO obvious about what either side wants. I'm not necessarily hiding it for the sake of a plot twist in this case (or in any case), but I like how both characters can't bring themselves to say what they want or even need to say just yet. 

The B support was far lighter than I thought it'd be! Then again, I wasn't actually sure how it'd turn out until I wrote it. I wanted a scene of Soleil and Azura dancing, and this fit the bill. Of course, it wasn't the planned B support, but Three Houses' supports allow for more than the traditional three supports, something I'm really happy about. (It's probably something they stole from Persona!) Here are hints about Dorothea and Soleil's past relationship. The two girls broke up, and while I'm not entirely sure it was amicable just yet, I know it WAS mutual.

The B+ support was always planned to be the way it was. It's a throwback to Inigo's B support with his father (who I see as Chrom) in Awakening, and I find it really fits here. What has happened is that Azura overstepped the boundaries of the relationship. You can see glimpses of that in the previous support, such as with her asking about Soleil's motivation and history. And frankly, I don't blame Azura for pulling the "mother card" here, given how Soleil needed to be put in check by someone. It unfortunately also happened to be a trigger for the youth. That being said, I will admit it's a little rushed. The story I wanted to tell demanded Soleil's freak out, while the story I felt the characters wanted to tell was another one. Had Azura not pulled the "mother card," her and Soleil's relationship would probably have ended in a more positive place. They never would have fully healed, but it would have been better. But alas, that wasn't meant to be. 

The A support was a nice short surprise, and I'm happy how it turned out. It plants the seeds of hope that potentially blossom off-screen. I will admit that it does feel a bit...basic compared to the other supports. But that isn't a bad thing. Contrast is sometimes needed to highlight the prize. 

The A+ support has some of the best dialogue of the five, and (as seems to be the case with me) goes more into the character's backstory and emotional history. Soleil's complexity about dancers starts with her mother, but it bleeds over into her other relationships as well. 

While the two wouldn't have a paired ending like other characters who reach A supports together - a reference to their mother-daughter bond never fully healing - I imagine that the two would stay and touch and visit on occasions. Soleil would never call Azura "mother," but Azura would be noted to get teary-eyed when Soleil dropped the "Lady" in "Lady Azura." 

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned an Assassin + Seal Strength + Break Shot + Poison Strike (from the Dark Mage class) build for Ignatz, and now I really want to try it. Fortunately, my next playthrough will be Golden Deer (I'll either romance Shamir or Marianne...most likely, I'll create a copy of the save file so I can do both), so it'll be easy to try out. 

5 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Someone mentioned an Assassin + Seal Strength + Break Shot + Poison Strike (from the Dark Mage class) build for Ignatz, and now I really want to try it. Fortunately, my next playthrough will be Golden Deer (I'll either romance Shamir or Marianne...most likely, I'll create a copy of the save file so I can do both), so it'll be easy to try out. 

Yeah, unless you really want the extra range afforded by the archer class line, it might be worth it to make him an assassin. I'm liking the sound of the skill build though. Seems unique. Currently I'm going through Black Eagles, and I'm going for a Falcon Knight Vengeance Battalion Wrath Bernadetta, with other things thrown in once I figure out what's feasible

I thought about getting the game for a while now, but I'm still a little undecided on the whole matter. I watched some game plays and read reviews, but I am unsure if I might like the gameplay. After scanning the thread, you all seem to be very convinced that it's worth it - but if someone has a minute: afaik it's round based, does that feel very restrictive? I am a little torn in that regard, usually prefer games without that.

And the characters: are they really as good developed as they are said to be? What is the focus, the characters or the battles/ fighting? How is the balance between the two aspects?

I know all of that sounds pretty vague, but it's the points that I'm worried most about. ^_^

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

afaik it's round based, does that feel very restrictive? I am a little torn in that regard, usually prefer games without that.

It is and it isn't. Yes, the game is turn-based, but that doesn't make it feel restrictive IMO, since you have the option to move all of your characters every turn. But it WILL take some getting used to if you've never played the series before.

When you say round-based, I think of other JRPG's like the old-school Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games, or maybe even Paper Mario and Persona 5. Fire Emblem isn't like those, since it's not the speed of the character that determines who attacks first. It's who has the initiative - for example, if I attack an enemy on the player phase, I will ALWAYS go first.* (This doesn't mean I will always attack twice, only that I will attack first. The enemy may be able to attack twice if my character is slower. But if you can kill an enemy in one hit, it's won't be a concern.) Likewise, if the enemy attacks me during their turn, they will ALWAYS go first.* Positioning tanky allies to aggro certain characters is part of the package, but there are other strategies to be used as well. (And with Three Houses, we can see who will draw the enemy attention, how much damage they'd likely do, and the accuracy and speed, all before the enemy's turn! It's a lifesaver.) 

And the characters: are they really as good developed as they are said to be?

I think most of them are pretty well developed, although if you go to Reddit you'll find every opinion possible. The best thing you can do is judge for yourself. For the best IMO, you have Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard obviously. You have Marianne and Dorothea's character arcs, which are great. Ferdinand and Lorenz may just surprise you. Felix goes beyond the "I'm an edgy swordsman" trope; and his buddy Sylvain isn't the most unique flirt, but he's has more depth than the average one (his supports with Dedue, Annette, Bernadetta, Hilda, and Mercedes are really good). And we can't leave out Team Dad Seteth! 

Byleth, being an avatar for the character, is a pretty blank slate. Don't take it personally or put too much stock into it. 

What is the focus, the characters or the battles/ fighting?

Weirdly enough, in this game I'd say the focus is mostly on the characters. But you make of it what you want. There's a LOT of time spent in the home base called the Monastery, and for those who don't like to micromanage, it'll be a nightmare. But the game also allows you to do training missions and whatnot on the weekends, and in many cases encourages it. It's all about balance. The battles are fun, but many of the maps and objectives aren't as creative as they could be. 

How is the balance between the two aspects?

I think the balance is done well, but it's far from perfect. I'd say it's about 60% character and 40% battle. Mind you, the battles that we do get are REALLY fun gameplay wise, and a major step up from previous games. But the focus is on getting to know your students and connecting with them. 

Overall, I think if you can find a demo of the game, it's worth checking out. Or if you have a 3DS and are wondering about the series as a whole, it may be cheaper to check out one of the 3DS games. If you like the combat style there, then Three Houses is waiting for you! 

*There are two exceptions I can think of. If someone has the skills Desperation or Vantage equipped. and they meet the health requirements, they will always go first. But don't worry about that just yet. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Overall, I think if you can find a demo of the game, it's worth checking out. Or if you have a 3DS and are wondering about the series as a whole, it may be cheaper to check out one of the 3DS games. If you like the combat style there, then Three Houses is waiting for you! 

Thank you so much! I will try to find a demo and if I can't, I'll give it a try anyways. It does sound so tempting and I love to learn about different characters, play their arcs and all that.

11 hours ago, Sorana said:

Thank you so much! I will try to find a demo and if I can't, I'll give it a try anyways. It does sound so tempting and I love to learn about different characters, play their arcs and all that.

I think there’s a demo of Fire Emblem Awakening still on the 3DS eshop, which might give you an idea of the combat aspect of the gameplay if you have a 3DS. 

Other than that, I’ll echo what @Use the Falchion said above. If you do end up getting the game we’d love to hear your thoughts!

3 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I think there’s a demo of Fire Emblem Awakening still on the 3DS eshop, which might give you an idea of the combat aspect of the gameplay if you have a 3DS. 

I don't. I skipped that one and at the moment am using a switch or our computer. I found that most games that interest me are available for a computer anyway and it offers a lot more grafic wise, so we don't own anything else. Apart from that switch which I gifted myself for my birthday this year in a corona related crises of not being able to do anything ;)

• 2 weeks later...

And continuing the trend, I've officially finished the first of the Silver Route supports! 

First up is Dimitri and Edelgard! Prepare for angst. Accompanying soundtrack is Feel Like Home by Fort Minor. So Long by Magnetic North may work as well. 

THERE WILL BE MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THESE SUPPORTS. As such, DO NOT READ PAST THE B+ SUPPORT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED. 

C-Support: 

Spoiler

Dimtri *swinging a weapon*

Dimitri: Ha! Ha! 

Dimitri: I think that will do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: Still training, I see. 

Dimitri: Ah! 

Edelgard: Did I surprise you? If you don't watch your back, you may lose an eye.

Dimitri: Ah, no...that's not - forgive me. I knew someone was watching, but I didn't expect it to be you.

Edelgard: Who did you expect?

Dimitri: Honestly, Dedue. 

Edelgard: Heh, makes sense. 

Dimitri: And you Edelgard? Should I expect Hubert to be watching from the shadows? 

Edelard: Not tonight. He has other matters to attend to. 

Dimitri: I see...if you don't mind me asking, why are you up so late? It's not healthy, you know. 

Edelgard: I could ask you the same.

Dimitri: ...it's not always easy for me to sleep. It hasn't been for some time...

Edelgard: ...

Edelgard: ...care to spar?

Dimitri: Pardon?

Edelgard: It will be a little while longer before your vassal notices you're not asleep and mine arrives. Care to spar?

Dimitri: An offer to train with another house leader...how rare. Well, who am I to refuse? 

B Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: ...and turn, and done!

Annette: Wow, thanks! You know, you're a pretty good dancer!

Dimitri: Well, I - say, aren't you supposed to be gardening the flowers?

Annette: Oh no, you're right! I have to go! I'll see you later!

Dimitri: Heh, she never slows down. 

Edelgard: But she was right you know.

Edelgard: ...again...?

Dimitri: Forgive my surprise. I don't know how you keep doing it.

Edelgard: Maybe I'm a ghost, here to haunt you.

Dimitri: ...

Edelgard: ...Dimitri?

Dimitri: Ah, pardon my lapse. You were saying something?

Edelgard: Your classmate was right. You are a good dancer. 

Dimitri: High praise, coming from one such as yourself. 

Edelgard: I beg your pardon?

Dimitri: No - I only meant - what I mean to say is that I've heard that dancing is something of an esteemed art in the Empire. The Faerghus has little time for such luxeries, so being praised by one who has clearly had such training is indeed high praise.

Edelgard: If you say so. I myself haven't danced in quite some time. 

Dimitri: No partner?

Edelgard: No time. As you said, dancing is a luxury, and I'll leave it to my subjects to dance. I have more important goals to accomplish. Dancing...no dancing is a thing of the past. 

Dimitri: I see...

Dimitri: I hear the Winter Ball is coming up? Surely you can spare some time for a dance there?

Edelgard: We'll see. Until then, remember that the ballroom isn't the only place where we dance. 

*Edelgard walks off*

Dimitri: ...did I truly mean so little to you...?

B+ Support: (MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE WINTER BALL)

Spoiler

Edelgard *training*

Edelgard: Ha! Ha!

Edelgard: That should do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: If you have time to watch Dimitri, you have time to train. 

Dimitri: It seems that your haunting is a one-way road. 

Dimitri: I jest. And clearly I need to work on such things.  

Edelgard: Save the jests for someone else. Why are you here?

Dimitri: I can remember a similar exchange not too long ago. Regardless, I brought some food. I'm not that particular when it comes to food myself, and I'm not sure what you'd like, so I brought a few things.

Edelgard: A few - Dimitri, you brought a feast!

Dimitri: My comrades eat a lot, so...oh - I don't mean to imply - I just want to make sure - 

Dimitri: *sighs*

Dimitri: Forgive me Edelgard. When I'm around you, my words seem to make a mockery of my intent. 

Edelgard: I'll let it go this time...eat with me. 

Edelgard: So, why did you come here?

Dimitri: I had a...request, if you will. 

Edelgard: Go on. 

Dimitri: I wanted to talk to you on the night of the ball. At the Goddess Tower. 

Edelgard: ...I see...

Edelgard: Dimitri...you don't believe in such tales, do you?

Dimitri: No more than I suspect you do. But there is something I want - no, something I NEED to tell you. And that night and that place felt appropriate. 

Edelgard: Why not tell me now?

Dimitri: I...need time. To prepare my words. I believe what I have to say will carry weight that unprepared words may not convey. I want to be prepared. For both our sakes. 

Edelgard: I understand. 

Dimitri: I know my words may not have been...as eloquent, but I do care about you Edelgard. So please, meet me during that day. 

A Support: 

Spoiler

Dimitri *stares at the moon*

Dimitri: You never came. 

Edelgard: It seems you finally learned. 

Dimitri: The night of the ball. You never came. 

Edelgard: I had other plans. Even you can see that now. I didn't have time for a love confession.

Dimitri: Love...hehehahaHAHAHA! You thought THAT was what I was going to tell you?

Edelgard: It wasn't...?

Dimitri: Love...heh. As if something like you is even CAPABLE of love...

Dimitri: You're here now, and that will have to do. Edelgard, you are my sister. 

Edelgard: What?! That's impossible!

Dimitri: Not by blood, small blessing that it may be. My father married Anselma in secret. 

Edelgard: How!? That would have had to happen...

Dimitri: During your exile in the Holy Kingdom. 

Edelgard: I...

Dimitri: We became friends, you know. Back then. We didn't know anything, and it was only for a year, but we were best friends. 

Edelgard: ...that can't be...it was you...?

Dimitri: You taught me how to dance, and before you left, I gave you that dagger. 

Edelgard: I...I can remember now...bits and pieces. 

Dimtri: It wasn't until later that I found out about our shared mother. She treated like I was her own. Did you know that? Now she whispers to me to kill you. For her son-by-bond to kill her daughter by blood...

Dimitri: And someday, I will respond to that request with your blood. Can you hear it? She's calling us monsters...heh...as if we could be anything else...

Edelgard: ....

A+ Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: ...what do you want?

Edelgard: A dance.

Dimitri: !?

Edelgard: Come.

*Dimitri and Edelgard dance*

Edelgard: You're right by the way. We are monsters.

Edelgard: Our crests, our actions...how could we be anything else?

Dimitri: *holds in a sob*

*Dimitri and Edelgard stop dancing*

Dimitri: Then why...?

Edelgard: I...wanted to see. I thought maybe we could regain - 

Dimitri: Our humanity? No, we threw that away. We only dance to dole out death now. We adorn that floor with corpses. We are monsters, you and I. And nothing will change that. 

Edelgard: ...yes, yes we are. 

Epilogue:

Spoiler

Once Edelgard's changes were enacted, she and Dimitri disappeared. Some say that he killed her in battle. Others the opposite. Some say that she proposed to him and that they lived the rest of their days out in peace. Others the opposite. Some say that they travelled the world while others claimed they killed themselves in the Holy Mausoleum. The truth is that the world never found out, as the two were never seen again.  

Author's Notes: 

Spoiler

The first support is finished! This was probably the fastest to type since I've had it in my head for months now. Finding the right song only speed up the process. Their support isn't a happy one, but I can't honestly see their relationship really ending in a happy place. 

The C support is based off of a fan comic of the C support from a few weeks ago. That was practically the perfect C support, so I adopted parts of it to fit the narrative here. (It was perfect for written text, but it wouldn't have worked for a videogame.) Edelgard's offer to train with Dimitri was an action born of sympathy. I tried to put little moments of those in here, but I'm not sure either character just right. Dimitri's voice was easier to find than Edelgard's since I've spent far more time with him. I haven't played SS or Crimson Flower, so I'm not sure exactly how to characterize Edelgard correctly. I hope I did a good job. 

The B support about dancing was one that was bound to happen. Having Annette appear was a fun surprise, but I love little cameos like that. And it shows the brotherly nature of Dimitri. I didn't do it for foreshadowing, but I think it may work like that, in weird way. I switched Annette's action from "helping Mercedes" to "gardening the flowers" because in my head, Annette and Felix's C support would happen just after this. Again, Edelgard and Dimitri seem to bring out the darkness in each other, even when trying to joke. 

The B+ support mirrors the C support. I didn't originally intend it to do so, but I needed the extra space and I felt like it would work pretty well, so I worked it in. Dimitri's offer of food is a subtle reference to the fact that he can't taste anything anymore...and Ingrid's eating habits. And yes, it looks like Dimitri is gearing up for a love confession. That was by intent. In my head, the people reading these supports would be first-time players. Maybe if not of the game, since the Silver Routes would be a DLC/NG+ thing, then at least of that route. So people see Dimitri and Edelgard's reactions and thing that he's just in love with her because that's how it looks - an awkward noble boy trying to confess his love to one of our protagonists. There are hints of other things, however. 

The A support was part of the original supports. I've known what I wanted for a while, so I knew what the dynamic was going to be. Dimitri's manic laugh wasn't a part of the main plant, but it fit. It's him reveling in information that Edelgard and the audience don't have. And ending on that crazy note...

The A+ support is shorter than the others, but that was by design. Edelgard and Dimitri already know each other and what they feel about themselves. I wanted this failed, flawed, futile attempt to "regain" their humanity. You can see the façade cracking for both of them, but they try to reaffirm it by the end. 

Y'all, this support is pretty dark. Not the darkest, but there's no real resolution or hope of it. But that's the story for Edelgard and Dimitri. They're tragic characters, even in victory. Their relationship as such needs to be appropriately tragic. 

5 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner. 

But the supports are really well done, and the little bits of foreshadowing are great. At some points I could imagine the VAs saying the lines. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

10 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

And continuing the trend, I've officially finished the first of the Silver Route supports! 

First up is Dimitri and Edelgard! Prepare for angst. Accompanying soundtrack is Feel Like Home by Fort Minor. So Long by Magnetic North may work as well. 

THERE WILL BE MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THESE SUPPORTS. As such, DO NOT READ PAST THE B+ SUPPORT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED. 

C-Support: 

Hide contents

Dimtri *swinging a weapon*

Dimitri: Ha! Ha! 

Dimitri: I think that will do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: Still training, I see. 

Edelgard: Did I surprise you? If you don't watch your back, you may lose an eye.

Dimitri: Ah, no...that's not - forgive me. I knew someone was watching, but I didn't expect it to be you.

Edelgard: Who did you expect?

Dimitri: Honestly, Dedue. 

Edelgard: Heh, makes sense. 

Dimitri: And you Edelgard? Should I expect Hubert to be watching from the shadows? 

Edelard: Not tonight. He has other matters to attend to. 

Dimitri: I see...if you don't mind me asking, why are you up so late? It's not healthy, you know. 

Edelgard: I could ask you the same.

Dimitri: ...it's not always easy for me to sleep. It hasn't been for some time...

Edelgard: ...care to spar?

Dimitri: Pardon?

Edelgard: It will be a little while longer before your vassal notices you're not asleep and mine arrives. Care to spar?

Dimitri: An offer to train with another house leader...how rare. Well, who am I to refuse? 

B Support

Hide contents

Dimitri: ...and turn, and done!

Annette: Wow, thanks! You know, you're a pretty good dancer!

Dimitri: Well, I - say, aren't you supposed to be gardening the flowers?

Annette: Oh no, you're right! I have to go! I'll see you later!

Dimitri: Heh, she never slows down. 

Edelgard: But she was right you know.

Edelgard: ...again...?

Dimitri: Forgive my surprise. I don't know how you keep doing it.

Edelgard: Your classmate was right. You are a good dancer. 

Dimitri: High praise, coming from one such as yourself. 

Edelgard: I beg your pardon?

Dimitri: No - I only meant - what I mean to say is that I've heard that dancing is something of an esteemed art in the Empire. The Faerghus has little time for such luxeries, so being praised by one who has clearly had such training is indeed high praise.

Edelgard: If you say so. I myself haven't danced in quite some time. 

Dimitri: No partner?

Edelgard: No time. As you said, dancing is a luxury, and I'll leave it to my subjects to dance. I have more important goals to accomplish. Dancing...no dancing is a thing of the past. 

Dimitri: I see...

Dimitri: I hear the Winter Ball is coming up? Surely you can spare some time for a dance there?

Edelgard: We'll see. Until then, remember that the ballroom isn't the only place where we dance. 

*Edelgard walks off*

Dimitri: ...did I truly mean so little to you...?

B+ Support: (MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE WINTER BALL)

Hide contents

Edelgard *training*

Edelgard: Ha! Ha!

Edelgard: That should do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: If you have time to watch Dimitri, you have time to train. 

Dimitri: It seems that your haunting is a one-way road. 

Dimitri: I jest. And clearly I need to work on such things.  

Edelgard: Save the jests for someone else. Why are you here?

Dimitri: I can remember a similar exchange not too long ago. Regardless, I brought some food. I'm not that particular when it comes to food myself, and I'm not sure what you'd like, so I brought a few things.

Edelgard: A few - Dimitri, you brought a feast!

Dimitri: My comrades eat a lot, so...oh - I don't mean to imply - I just want to make sure - 

Dimitri: *sighs*

Dimitri: Forgive me Edelgard. When I'm around you, my words seem to make a mockery of my intent. 

Edelgard: I'll let it go this time...eat with me. 

Edelgard: So, why did you come here?

Dimitri: I had a...request, if you will. 

Edelgard: Go on. 

Dimitri: I wanted to talk to you on the night of the ball. At the Goddess Tower. 

Edelgard: ...I see...

Edelgard: Dimitri...you don't believe in such tales, do you?

Dimitri: No more than I suspect you do. But there is something I want - no, something I NEED to tell you. And that night and that place felt appropriate. 

Edelgard: Why not tell me now?

Dimitri: I...need time. To prepare my words. I believe what I have to say will carry weight that unprepared words may not convey. I want to be prepared. For both our sakes. 

Edelgard: I understand. 

Dimitri: I know my words may not have been...as eloquent, but I do care about you Edelgard. So please, meet me during that day. 

A Support: 

Hide contents

Dimitri *stares at the moon*

Dimitri: You never came. 

Edelgard: It seems you finally learned. 

Dimitri: The night of the ball. You never came. 

Edelgard: I had other plans. Even you can see that now. I didn't have time for a love confession.

Dimitri: Love...hehehahaHAHAHA! You thought THAT was what I was going to tell you?

Edelgard: It wasn't...?

Dimitri: Love...heh. As if something like you is even CAPABLE of love...

Dimitri: You're here now, and that will have to do. Edelgard, you are my sister. 

Edelgard: What?! That's impossible!

Dimitri: Not by blood, small blessing that it may be. My father married Anselma in secret. 

Edelgard: How!? That would have had to happen...

Dimitri: During your exile in the Holy Kingdom. 

Edelgard: I...

Dimitri: We became friends, you know. Back then. We didn't know anything, and it was only for a year, but we were best friends. 

Edelgard: ...that can't be...it was you...?

Dimitri: You taught me how to dance, and before you left, I gave you that dagger. 

Edelgard: I...I can remember now...bits and pieces. 

Dimtri: It wasn't until later that I found out about our shared mother. She treated like I was her own. Did you know that? Now she whispers to me to kill you. For her son-by-bond to kill her daughter by blood...

Dimitri: And someday, I will respond to that request with your blood. Can you hear it? She's calling us monsters...heh...as if we could be anything else...

Edelgard: ....

A+ Support

Reveal hidden contents

Dimitri: ...what do you want?

Edelgard: A dance.

Dimitri: !?

Edelgard: Come.

*Dimitri and Edelgard dance*

Edelgard: You're right by the way. We are monsters.

Edelgard: Our crests, our actions...how could we be anything else?

Dimitri: *holds in a sob*

*Dimitri and Edelgard stop dancing*

Dimitri: Then why...?

Edelgard: I...wanted to see. I thought maybe we could regain - 

Dimitri: Our humanity? No, we threw that away. We only dance to dole out death now. We adorn that floor with corpses. We are monsters, you and I. And nothing will change that. 

Edelgard: ...yes, yes we are. 

Epilogue:

Reveal hidden contents

Once Edelgard's changes were enacted, she and Dimitri disappeared. Some say that he killed her in battle. Others the opposite. Some say that she proposed to him and that they lived the rest of their days out in peace. Others the opposite. Some say that they travelled the world while others claimed they killed themselves in the Holy Mausoleum. The truth is that the world never found out, as the two were never seen again.  

Author's Notes: 

Reveal hidden contents

The first support is finished! This was probably the fastest to type since I've had it in my head for months now. Finding the right song only speed up the process. Their support isn't a happy one, but I can't honestly see their relationship really ending in a happy place. 

The C support is based off of a fan comic of the C support from a few weeks ago. That was practically the perfect C support, so I adopted parts of it to fit the narrative here. (It was perfect for written text, but it wouldn't have worked for a videogame.) Edelgard's offer to train with Dimitri was an action born of sympathy. I tried to put little moments of those in here, but I'm not sure either character just right. Dimitri's voice was easier to find than Edelgard's since I've spent far more time with him. I haven't played SS or Crimson Flower, so I'm not sure exactly how to characterize Edelgard correctly. I hope I did a good job. 

The B support about dancing was one that was bound to happen. Having Annette appear was a fun surprise, but I love little cameos like that. And it shows the brotherly nature of Dimitri. I didn't do it for foreshadowing, but I think it may work like that, in weird way. I switched Annette's action from "helping Mercedes" to "gardening the flowers" because in my head, Annette and Felix's C support would happen just after this. Again, Edelgard and Dimitri seem to bring out the darkness in each other, even when trying to joke. 

The B+ support mirrors the C support. I didn't originally intend it to do so, but I needed the extra space and I felt like it would work pretty well, so I worked it in. Dimitri's offer of food is a subtle reference to the fact that he can't taste anything anymore...and Ingrid's eating habits. And yes, it looks like Dimitri is gearing up for a love confession. That was by intent. In my head, the people reading these supports would be first-time players. Maybe if not of the game, since the Silver Routes would be a DLC/NG+ thing, then at least of that route. So people see Dimitri and Edelgard's reactions and thing that he's just in love with her because that's how it looks - an awkward noble boy trying to confess his love to one of our protagonists. There are hints of other things, however. 

The A support was part of the original supports. I've known what I wanted for a while, so I knew what the dynamic was going to be. Dimitri's manic laugh wasn't a part of the main plant, but it fit. It's him reveling in information that Edelgard and the audience don't have. And ending on that crazy note...

The A+ support is shorter than the others, but that was by design. Edelgard and Dimitri already know each other and what they feel about themselves. I wanted this failed, flawed, futile attempt to "regain" their humanity. You can see the façade cracking for both of them, but they try to reaffirm it by the end. 

Y'all, this support is pretty dark. Not the darkest, but there's no real resolution or hope of it. But that's the story for Edelgard and Dimitri. They're tragic characters, even in victory. Their relationship as such needs to be appropriately tragic. 

That... was beautiful.

5 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

But the supports are really well done, and the little bits of foreshadowing are great. At some points I could imagine the VAs saying the lines. 

18 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

That... was beautiful.

Thank you both! Hopefully I'll have the other two supports out by the end of day, or at least the weekend. I think I found the song for Claude and Edelgard, so that process may go a tad faster. (I like the mood, but the lyrics aren't really them, if that makes sense.)  But, as a warning, I have to say that I don't think the next two will be as good as this one. Despite being my favorite lord in the game and the route I chose first, Claude's voice is one I don't think I can appropriately nail down. Edelgard is even harder since I've spent the least time with her. And them together...they're probably going to sound a little off (think Mat in TGS) at best or straight up OOC at worst. Also, there's flirting involved, and I'm TERRIBLE at writing romance and flirting. But the show must go on! 

16 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

That line got you too, did it?

Mind if I join you?

*Sobs*