Fire Emblem Three Houses

Pathfinder

On 4/6/2020 at 2:07 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

Well, I caved in and bought the DLC. I’m kind of craving new content (even though I’ve yet to do SS), and with quarantine I actually have time to play games without feeling guilty about it. 

So, are you enjoying it?

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

So, are you enjoying it?

I haven’t gotten too far yet (only done the first battle and just finished wandering around Abyss) but yeah, I am. For some reason I really like Constance — she’s just so over the top it’s fun to watch. None of the other Ashen Wolves have stood out to me too much. I like how Hilda and Balthus have a bit of history together. I don’t have much to say about Yuri and Hapi as of yet. Getting to use all three house leaders is great, and I like the new battle theme. I have no regrets in buying it. 

1 minute ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I haven’t gotten too far yet (only done the first battle and just finished wandering around Abyss) but yeah, I am. For some reason I really like Constance — she’s just so over the top it’s fun to watch. None of the other Ashen Wolves have stood out to me too much. I like how Hilda and Balthus have a bit of history together. I don’t have much to say about Yuri and Hapi as of yet. Getting to use all three house leaders is great, and I like the new battle theme. I have no regrets in buying it. 

Constance Fan= Cultured, in my book:P. Seriously though, I love how over the top she can be. She and Yuri were the standout Wolves so far.

Cindered Shadows is proving to be more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Granted, I’m not the best when it comes to strategy, and most of the numbers in the game just fly way over my head. Edelgard is carrying my team by just being so tanky (though I keep forgetting Hilda’s not a fortress knight and keep trying to use her as one). Still, I like the challenge.

1 hour ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Cindered Shadows is proving to be more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Granted, I’m not the best when it comes to strategy, and most of the numbers in the game just fly way over my head. Edelgard is carrying my team by just being so tanky (though I keep forgetting Hilda’s not a fortress knight and keep trying to use her as one). Still, I like the challenge.

What difficulty are you playing on? I found it pretty difficult even on just Normal/Casual.

On 4/6/2020 at 5:07 PM, The Awakened Salad said:

Well, I caved in and bought the DLC. I’m kind of craving new content (even though I’ve yet to do SS), and with quarantine I actually have time to play games without feeling guilty about it. 

WOOOOOOOT!!

On 4/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, Wyndlerunner said:

You'll probably get a kick out of this

That joke hits too close to home lol...those same-turn reinforcements...

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Me: Oh, wow, I'm gonna start online classes tomorrow, I'll probably be pretty busy.

My Brain: You should start another Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough.

:P:lol:

Me: Man, I'm so burnt out, but I really need to finish this Golden Deer playthrough so I can use the supports, renown, and maxed out statues in my next playthrough.

My Brain: Hey should give up on your Golden Deer playthrough and start another Bylass Blue Lions playthrough ASAP. 

Me: Well, I just finished Cindered Shadows. I should take a break before I start Silver Snow. 

My brain: What are you waiting for? Start Silver Snow right this instant!

But yeah, I finished Cindered Shadows not too long ago. Overall, really fun. I had to switch back to Normal because I realised I didn’t have the patience to play on Hard, and I’m glad I did because it saved me a lot of frustration.

I’ll put my spoilery ramble below. 

Spoiler

I knew something was up with Aelfric from the start, but I didn’t want to jump to conclusions because I did that with Rodrigue and my predictions ended up being false. But still, he was too nice and the game really shoved it in your face that everyone seemed to like him, so I suspected he wasn’t as benevolent as he appeared. Honestly, his character felt a little bit flimsy, with him motivation being infodumped at the end, and I just didn’t feel like his reasons were justified enough. It didn’t detract from my enjoyment, though. 

The escape map was stressful, but not overly difficult on Normal. Edelgard and Linhardt always fell behind but Edelgard managed to tank most of the hits while Linhardt healed her. The hardest map for me was still Chapter 2, but I did do Chapter 6 on Normal. 

The final map was pretty easy, but I got lucky and everyone was scoring crits. Like seriously, I think Ashe crit every turn. 

Constance is amazing, no further comments. Yuri And Balthus are pretty cool. I feel like Hapi was the most underdeveloped, but hopefully with the supports in the main game I’ll warm up to her. 

Just one thing I noticed while playing, there’s a conversation Edelgard and Dimitri have in Abyss (I don’t remember which chapter) where Dimitri asks Edelgard if she’s always had white hair. Edelgard’s response suggests she doesn’t remember Dimitri at all from their childhood, being surprised that he asked. I always thought that Edelgard remembered, but most evidence in game says otherwise. I don’t know if that makes me feel better or worse about those two. 

Can’t wait to start my final playthrough with the Ashen Wolves, whenever it may be (probably within the next day or two, with the way my brain keeps nagging me).

12 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Me: Well, I just finished Cindered Shadows. I should take a break before I start Silver Snow. 

My brain: What are you waiting for? Start Silver Snow right this instant!

But yeah, I finished Cindered Shadows not too long ago. Overall, really fun. I had to switch back to Normal because I realised I didn’t have the patience to play on Hard, and I’m glad I did because it saved me a lot of frustration.

I’ll put my spoilery ramble below. 

Reveal hidden contents

I knew something was up with Aelfric from the start, but I didn’t want to jump to conclusions because I did that with Rodrigue and my predictions ended up being false. But still, he was too nice and the game really shoved it in your face that everyone seemed to like him, so I suspected he wasn’t as benevolent as he appeared. Honestly, his character felt a little bit flimsy, with him motivation being infodumped at the end, and I just didn’t feel like his reasons were justified enough. It didn’t detract from my enjoyment, though. 

The escape map was stressful, but not overly difficult on Normal. Edelgard and Linhardt always fell behind but Edelgard managed to tank most of the hits while Linhardt healed her. The hardest map for me was still Chapter 2, but I did do Chapter 6 on Normal. 

The final map was pretty easy, but I got lucky and everyone was scoring crits. Like seriously, I think Ashe crit every turn. 

Constance is amazing, no further comments. Yuri And Balthus are pretty cool. I feel like Hapi was the most underdeveloped, but hopefully with the supports in the main game I’ll warm up to her. 

Just one thing I noticed while playing, there’s a conversation Edelgard and Dimitri have in Abyss (I don’t remember which chapter) where Dimitri asks Edelgard if she’s always had white hair. Edelgard’s response suggests she doesn’t remember Dimitri at all from their childhood, being surprised that he asked. I always thought that Edelgard remembered, but most evidence in game says otherwise. I don’t know if that makes me feel better or worse about those two. 

Can’t wait to start my final playthrough with the Ashen Wolves, whenever it may be (probably within the next day or two, with the way my brain keeps nagging me).

Yeah Ashe was a crit machine on my playthrough too. Made me sad when he wasn't as awesome of a crit machine in the real game, but he makes up for it in other ways. 

Edelgard has blocked out nearly all of her childhood memories; Dimitri on the other hand remembers all of his, even the ones he'd rather forget. 

Spoiler

Worse. Always worse. Things may have gone so much differently if she had remembered Dimitri. Maybe. 

Glad Constance was your star of the new characters! I ended up using Hapi the most, and Constance after that. Yuri helped a lot with healing and positioning, but Balthus fell off for me. He was good, but he wasn't that good. Thankfully in the main storyline he's actually not too bad! 

...so I picked up my Golden Deer playthrough and am in the month where we go to Grondor Field. I recruited everyone possible, but this chapter still hurts me. Currently doing Ferdinand's paralogue and it's super hard...especially since I've NEVER had a good Ferdinand... 

MVP's are The Big Ones (Byleth, Claude, Dorothea, Felix, Leonie, Lysithea). Seteth (surprising, since I've never used him before), Shamir (when I use her), Constance, and Yuri (when I use him). Byleth has been my main gauntlet user this playthrough; Raphael wasn't turning out well, Caspar was recruited too late, and Balthus is decent. Hapi is great for ranged attacks, but her magic hasn't been up to snuff, unfortunately. The rest of my team I switch out at will. 

Ingrid is my dancer, and while I'm not too happy with how she turned out, I'm not terribly upset either. I might go back to Marianne next time.  

Also I may switch from romancing Hapi to romancing Constance (I may ship Hapi with Ashe, but we'll see). 

So is Cindered Shadows just non-canon? Or an alternate timeline? Because I started my SS run, and all of the Ashen Wolves treat Byleth like they’ve never met them. Their integration into the main game feels a bit clunky to me. Why would the wolves choose to join Byleth without knowing much about them? But as units, they’re doing pretty well. I have an abundance of magic users though, but I’m planning on recruiting some more units. 

I hit a wall on my Blue Lions playthrough playing on Hard/Classic. That chapter after Flayn goes missing. I just can't seem to kill the Death Knight, even though getting to him is a piece of cake. I didn't struggle with it on my Golden Deer or Black Eagles playthroughs...

14 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

So is Cindered Shadows just non-canon? Or an alternate timeline? Because I started my SS run, and all of the Ashen Wolves treat Byleth like they’ve never met them. Their integration into the main game feels a bit clunky to me. Why would the wolves choose to join Byleth without knowing much about them? But as units, they’re doing pretty well. I have an abundance of magic users though, but I’m planning on recruiting some more units. 

Yes...? The creators said in an interview that it's canon in the sense that, if the Ashen Wolves met Byleth, that is sort of how it'd go, or something to the effect.

https://serenesforest.net/2020/04/11/three-houses-interview-nintendo-dream-part-1-via-nintendo-everything/#more-59992

Personally, I treat it like when super popular manga-turned-anime get movies (most recently My Hero Academia, but Naruto and Bleach also fall in this category) - the events are "canon" until they clash with the true canon story or whatnot. They don't affect anything, so there's no reason to really worry about it. (not saying you are, just my mindset).

4 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I hit a wall on my Blue Lions playthrough playing on Hard/Classic. That chapter after Flayn goes missing. I just can't seem to kill the Death Knight, even though getting to him is a piece of cake. I didn't struggle with it on my Golden Deer or Black Eagles playthroughs...

Are you doing NG+? What's your team setup? 

15 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I consider it canon in the same way that every other route is technically canon (after all, Cindered Shadows doesn't specify which house Byleth has chosen) There are also certain things that Rhea says to Byleth in Cindered Shadows that were previously SS exclusive info. Fire Emblem 3 Houses is a game which deals a lot with what if scenarios, so I appreciate it as a sort of alternate version of the main timeline. As for the Wolves' recruitment, that can be chalked up to the different members of the house having different requirements to be recruited to the main game as you progress through the side story. I;e, you can recruit Constance after Chapter 4 of CS, I believe.