StormblessedSurvivor

How To Write Music

8 posts in this topic

Do you play any instruments? What sort of style are you wanting to write?

A good start is to listen and analyse music that you like and use the compositional devices you find to write your own music. Imitation is a good first step towards creation, but try not to plagiarise. I often try to imitate and recreate the mood and feeling that a song generates while still using an original melody. Chord progressions can't be copyrighted so go nuts and steal any that you like -- same with drum grooves and rhythms. 

The most important thing is to trust your ears. If something sounds right, it is right, and don't let any sort of theory knowledge or whatever tell you otherwise.

I can't help so much with that. I'm better at writing prose than lyrics. My roommate for a while was doing an exercise where he was writing a sonnet a day, which he said helped his lyric writing a lot. Pat Pattison also has a couple of great books about writing lyrics and I think he has a few lectures up online. Pat did a guest lecture at my university and it was very enlightening.

How's it going? Coming into the fandom as a music maker, and I'm not seeing a ton of people who create that way, so I'd love to connect if you're still trying to make progress in the music space! 

I’ll come back here once I can say I’ve actually written cosmere music :ph34r:

It may help to try writing poetry. Songs are music put to words, and it can be any words that fit the tune.

I typically listen to the tune and find a theme that reflects the emotions the tune evoked. Then I put that feeling and theme into words.

Always listen to the tune first. It’s a lot easier to alter words to fit a tune than the reverse. Music first; words second. 

Once you have the words, you should sing them so as to see if they work or not. The tune determines the rhythm of the words.

Basically, when it comes to song writing, follow the music. The music ultimately determines your meter.