Why Wayne and Shallan are so similar

Rushu42

At first glance, Wayne and Shallan is probably not an obvious connection to make, but hear me out. Though the two aren't identical, there are a surprising number of similarities. [Warning: some spoilers ahead]

1. They both specialize in disguises, and get really into character when they do so. Shallan obviously has a problem with this, but we often see Wayne's narration as if he is the person he's pretending to be. He has no problem sliping out of these disguises, but it's still significant immersion.

2. They both killed someone when they were a child, which continually haunts them and makes them both unable to use their weapons. Shallan stabbed her mother, and this caused her to completely deny the existence of Pattern, her Shardblade, while Wayne killed an innocent man, which makes his hands start shaking whenever he picks up a gun.

3. They both often use witty and distracting comments to draw attention from more serious matters as well as their own emotions. Wayne is known for his random wit, and Shallan (at least in the beginning) has a sharp tongue as well. This is often as a way to lighten the mood or divert attention from what Shallan or Wayne is really feeling. (Shallan does this a lot more than Wayne).

4. They both really care about everyday people. We can see this in Wayne, and the way he instantly connects with and understands people during investigations, and with Shallan/Veil as she worries about handing out food to the poor and elevating the suffering of others.

5. They both feel stifled and controlled in calm comfortable environments, and prefer to be where there's danger and excitement. Wayne frequently convinces Wax that his life as a House Lord is boring, and that he (Wayne) woudl hate to be in such a situation. Shallan seems to be at her best when tracking down a killer or exploring the world, and dislikes staying behind or being protected.

6. They both use powerful investiture that makes them heal faster. Wayne's Gold Feruchemy and Shallan's Stormlight really only share that much, but it's worth mentioning.

I thought that this was both cool and unexpected, myself, and I'm interested to find other similarities between these two and other Sanderson characters. He does, to an extent, reuse some tropes, but it often crops up unexpectedly. Anyone else notice something?

Edited by Rushu42
Typo

I actually was just wondering about this. Lightweaving is a form of connection manipulation, with the lightweaver making the connections they have with others manifest as images. And it is might be something anyone can do (maybe, Khriss compares it to the Yolish variety, which I'm not sure if there is a restriction for).

So, since Wayne has a better chance of functional immortality as a bloodmaker (through some spikes for gold maybe) than most, it's possible he could end up learning to lightweave.

In that case, who would be better?

In terms of other connections between the two, Wayne has three charges who he feels responsible for (the children of the man he killed), and Shallan likewise has three charges (her brothers) who she feels responsible for.

Also they both have some latent non-heterosexuality, with a WoB confirming for Shallan, and Wayne considering the matter when MeLaan is a man for little while.

6 minutes ago, Config2 said:

So, since Wayne has a better chance of functional immortality as a bloodmaker (through some spikes for gold maybe) than most, it's possible he could end up learning to lightweave.

For functional immortality he woukd need double atium. Gold compunding would give him a slightly extended life but that's it.

As to the OP the smiliarities are definitely there, the main difference being, as you said, Wayne's self-awareness.

14 minutes ago, Config2 said:

it's possible he could end up learning to lightweave.

Do you think that he could hold two forms of investiture at the same time? From different Shards and worlds? I mean, Hoid probably can, but he seems to be a special case. If Wayne did accheive this, it would be pretty cool, but in a way, he doesn't really need it. After all, a good disguise only requires the right hat and the right voice.

@Rushu42 Im pretty sure that people can hold multiple types of investiture. People ask weird questions about spiking radients and awakening spikes to Brandon so I have to assume so. And I think that Wayne would probably use it sparingly like Hoid, and mostly to make fake hats so he can do the rest without it.

And @Jace21 I was never really clear on the whole compounding thing, thanks!

I think Wayne's resonance might be something that is basically lightweaving-lite. It does not give him the full holographic disguise route, but it might change his appearance and voice a little to make his hats work better and his disguises more convincing. Either that or it manipulates his connection to the person that he is basing his disguise off of.

4 hours ago, Gasper said:

I think Wayne's resonance might be something that is basically lightweaving-lite. It does not give him the full holographic disguise route, but it might change his appearance and voice a little to make his hats work better and his disguises more convincing. Either that or it manipulates his connection to the person that he is basing his disguise off of.

I doubt that sort of thing is his resonance as itbhas nothing to do with his current abilities. I know they don't have to relate but those seen so far do, at least partially.

Plus I would be disappointed if Wayne's disguise/acting skills were in any way magical.

Maybe, but I think I've seen some character similarities before. I think it's possible that Brandon Sanderson just has a tendency to repeat certain character traits and tropes. Not that that detracts from his writing; it's just an interesting observation.

I am going to receive a lot of flak for this, but Shallan and Wayne are sidekick characters. Shallan's book, Words of Radiance was basically Kaladin chapter 2: More guard duty, now with 50% more annoying lightweaver. Shallan is a sidekick to Jasnah, Dalinar, and Kaladin. The story would work without her, Jasnah might do a better job actually. Wayne is a literal sidekick and he realizes this.

4 hours ago, Gasper said:

I am going to receive a lot of flak for this, but Shallan and Wayne are sidekick characters. Shallan's book, Words of Radiance was basically Kaladin chapter 2: More guard duty, now with 50% more annoying lightweaver. Shallan is a sidekick to Jasnah, Dalinar, and Kaladin. The story would work without her, Jasnah might do a better job actually. Wayne is a literal sidekick and he realizes this.

You won't "get flack", but people may disagree with you.

Personally, after WoK, I never felt that Kaladin was any more important than Shallan or Dalinar, so "Kaladin Chapter 2" never happened for me.

But everyone reads the books differently, it's part of what makes them so great!

1 hour ago, Jace21 said:

But everyone reads the books differently, it's part of what makes them so great!

Very true; nice point. I like how nice these dicussions are.

Also, Gasper, I do think that Shallan isn't so much of a sidekick as Wayne. She has a LOT more character develpoment, and much more screen time. But I suppose that Kaladin does seem to get a little more attention than her. Still, 7 more books to go! It'll even out.

• Chaos locked this topic