[speculation] Is Dalinar going to be....

Benedictify

Is Dalinar going to become the next Honor? There's something called a shard of Adonalsium involved somehow (but I've only read the three Stormlight books so far....)

Is Kaladin (and other folks) gonna end up becoming Heralds in a new Oathpact? 

Probably they're gonna solve things so they don't need an Oathpact and they can all get along - at least the parsh and the humans, probably not Odium and anyone else though. 

Edited by Benedictify

1 minute ago, Benedictify said:

is Jezrien really *dead* dead, or is he trapped inside the dagger's pommel stone? In either case it seems he won't be able to go to Damnation and do any Oathpacting-torture

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Moash killed a god? One of the Heralds?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

He did. One of the Heralds. And trapped his soul so he couldn't be reborn.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

That's what it is. Trapped his soul, didn't actually kill him?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It's killed him...It was like, extra killed. The Heralds are bound to a cycle of rebirth that happens...that they wanted to make sure didn't happen that time.

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

16 minutes ago, Benedictify said:

Is Dalinar going to become the next Honor? There's something called a shard of Adonalsium involved somehow (but I've only read the three Stormlight books so far....)

Oh boy the Shards. Yeah, that's a thing. Honor, Cultivation, and Odium are all Shards (you'll see more if you read more books [also read Warbreaker and there will be some stuff you'll recognize from Stormlight there]). There's 16 of them, for reference. He might become one, but that's something we won't know at least until the next book releases and probably not until the end of the first 5 books.

My recommendation is read all of Brandon's Cosmere works before getting into the specifics of Shards and Adonalsium being reborn - it's sort of the overarching plotline of all of his books so far. I will say though, there seems to be a prevailing theory that Dalinar could be some kind of Honour or even Adonalsium reborn, or forging his own unique shard or something (notice how he used that capital U in 'Unity' when he told Venli who he was on the battlefield), so kudos for finding that theory on your own!

I strongly advise you read other Cosmere books before you delve more into this direction of conversation as a lot of people will just assume you know the endings of other books, particularly of the Mistborn series. I'll just agree with the person above me that Unity is most probably what I would call Dalinar becoming, just because Dalinar said so himself in OB.

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns

Theory: Personally, I think the Broken One isn't just Odium, but all the pieces of the 'three of sixteen'. (Honor, Cultivation and Odium). If Dalinar is indeed becoming Unity, maybe we'll see him slowly merging all those bits and pieces back together into one Shard. Before anyone jumps in to say that's uninteresting, I'd like to point out that balance in the three types of Investiture should be very very crucial here. I wonder if pieces of one Shard overcame the other two, how something like that would change Dalinar and Unity itself.

Edited by insert_anagram_here
slowly not slowing

One theory (that I subscribe to) is that Dalinar has the potential to become the new Vessel of the Honor Shard, but will be reinterpreting it slightly different that the previous (Who's name was Tanavast).  The thought is that the Shard itself is all about Spiritual Connections and the sort of Bonds that can form between people, but where Tanavast was very focused on Oaths and the bonds between Individuals, Dalinar is taking a broader Community view of it, such that the same underlying concept is going to instead manifest as "Unity".

16 hours ago, Croaker's Apprentice said:

Actually, the new Honor is going to be Honour, Honor's British cousin (who will be played in the TV show by Anthony Head) ;)

For that matter, whilst I'm casting Shards, who wants to see Anthony Hopkins as Odium ? 

(Apologies if I have wandered off topic)

:D:D:D

23 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

... Dalinar could be some kind of Honour ...

It's like... oh, he wanted to be a Radiant so he just bonded the storming STORMFATHER, that's all, and he just learned how to RECHARGE SPHERES BY HIMSELF, no big deal.... 

23 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

...notice how he used that capital U in 'Unity'...

I noticed that too, on my second re-reading of the series, I thought that can't be just a coincidence. I think maybe Dalinar isn't fully aware of the full meaning of what he said.... :o

If not a being called Unity, maybe that's referring to Honor's Perpendicularity in some way...?

Also I think Shallan is going to learn how to make her Lightweavings become permanent beings that exist on their own -- totally different topic... 

2tqsla.jpg

• Chaos locked this topic