Favorite Type Of Spren (or maybe envisioning new types)

AngryMistspren

I think that we can all agree that one of the best parts of Stormlight Archive is the world building. The way that every part of the story is perfectly crafted really astounds me. One large part of this is the idea of the Spren. They are (loosely) physical manifestations of thoughts and perceptions, plus also maybe being splinters of a god. Basically, the lore surrounding Spren is fascinating, and sometimes I feel that they don’t get enough credit, but that probably isn’t true. Anyways, this thread is really just talking about the coolest types of Spren, and possibly maybe ideas for new types of Spren. 

Personally, I am quite partial to Cryptics, and I think creationspren are pretty fun too.

Somewhat off topic, if Roshar advances in technology enough to build an internet, how fast would new types of spren be created? The memespren would be of particular note right there. Or will regular spren incorporate these new ideas generated by so many new thoughts, thus making them more powerful? Or harder to attract? Would the CR expand? New cities?

With regard to existing spren incorporating new thoughts.

RenegadeShroom

So, I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase 'sick burn' and what it means. Assuming for a moment that it became a phrase on Roshar that fell into widespread use for a long enough time, could the phrase become strongly associated enough with the idea of fire that it actually has an effect on when flamespren can manifest? Could insulting someone harshly enough draw flamespren?

Brandon Sanderson

Unlikely, because when people say "sick burn" fire doesn't appear in their imagination--they're not personifying fire. Just like the name Smith doesn't bring to mind a blacksmith unless one thinks about it specifically, sick burn has taken on its own meaning.

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 5, 2015)

So I'm guessing new ideas would tend to spawn new spren.

I wouldn't expect most individual memes to spawn specific spren, because the individual memes are too fleeting in most cases, but the concept of memes would definitely have spren.

13 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

I wouldn't expect most individual memes to spawn specific spren, because the individual memes are too fleeting in most cases, but the concept of memes would definitely have spren.

They'd probably be like creationspren, shifting through the different memes nearby like creationspren turning into all those little things.

It’d be pretty crazy. Probably like how Eras Three and Four of Scadrial will be crazy. Anyways, memespren probably exist individually, but something like knowledge or awespren would be abundant on the internet. 

Shifting Topics, does anyone think that Bondsmiths might be able to make Nahel Bonds between Spren and people. It would definitely be another way to make the order unique!

2 minutes ago, AngryMistspren said:

It’d be pretty crazy. Probably like how Eras Three and Four of Scadrial will be crazy. Anyways, memespren probably exist individually, but something like knowledge or awespren would be abundant on the internet. 

Shifting Topics, does anyone think that Bondsmiths might be able to make Nahel Bonds between Spren and people. It would definitely be another way to make the order unique!

There's been some speculation about Dalinar doing something like that with Adolin and Maya to heal her, but I'd personally rather it not happen like that. Also I think nahel bonds are too much about the individuals involved to be created 'artificially'.

3 minutes ago, AngryMistspren said:

They might be able to facilitate the forming of the bond, but I doubt they could force a human and spren to bond because of the symbiotic nature of the bond.

Just now, AngryMistspren said:

Yeah, probably. It was just something I’ve been thinking about for a while. I cannot wait for any other hypothetical Bondsmiths to arise, especially someone bonded to the Sibling, who we know nothing about. 

I'm definitely interested in the Sibling.I personally hope Rlain bonds them, but I'd be okay with Rlain ending up bonded to the NW. I just don't know how that would happen currently. I just very much want Rlain to be a Bondsmith.

Cryptics are fascinating to me conceptually, but also how they are a much more visually original sort of Spirit Creatures than say Honospren, which bear a lot of resemblance to you classic fairy/pixie sort of characters.  It's one of the reasons Im really (almost irrationally) hopeful that the third Bondsmith spren is going to be something akin to a Cryptic in the same way the Stormfather and Nightwatcher seem to have a close connection/similarity to Honorspren and Cultivationspren.

The Nightwatcher in particular is really cool, an interesting twist on the Faustian Bargain trope, and Im hopeful that we'll see more of her in action (Im hoping we get to see a full compliment of Bondsmiths before it's all over).

9 hours ago, AngryMistspren said:

I dont think they could just Whip up a Nahel Bond out of nothing, that seems both too overpowering and like it would be almost worse that slavery (forcibly mending souls of two individuals).  But Strengthening an existing bond, even a relatively weak one like what Adoline has with Maya could be in the cards.

9 hours ago, AngryMistspren said:

On another separate note, what do any of you think about the Spren of the Stonewards. I just feel that Stonespren may be too obvious.

So far the Higher spren of the Orders have all been more conceptual so I doubt it would be Stonespren, though that could easily be the "Lesser" spren associated (similar to Windspren for Windrunners, or Creationspren for Lightweavers, and possibly Gloryspren for Bondsmiths).  Maybe something like EnduranceSpren or StoicSpren? ResolveSpren?

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

So far the Higher spren of the Orders have all been more conceptual so I doubt it would be Stonespren, though that could easily be the "Lesser" spren associated (similar to Windspren for Windrunners, or Creationspren for Lightweavers, and possibly Gloryspren for Bondsmiths).  Maybe something like EnduranceSpren or StoicSpren? ResolveSpren?

I really like the ideas for all of those, but stoicspren may be my favorite.

13 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I'm curious about inkspren. Ivory seems like an interesting guy.

I also really like musicspren for some reason, I just think the mental image of these little ribbons popping up around people playing music is cool.

I want to learn more about Inkspren too!

12 hours ago, AngryMistspren said:

Yeah I am the one that thinks a bondsmith could restore dead spren with the help of the shardblade wielder. I think since we see Bondsmiths able to boost other radaint's surges plus their entire schtick being about Connection and investiture, potentially hints towards that. Fingers crossed our theory is right! lol

Alespren. Jezrien would bond:P.

Spren societies. Deadeyes. Not so Thrill-ed about Sibling. Bored by highspren so far. Syl, Pattern, Maya and Ivory:wub:.  Want normal Dustbringers and their spren!!!

And honourable lady, the Sja-Anat herself!!!

Want!Want! Sja-Anat Bondsmith.

And Stickspren!

edit: Want Mayalaran revived fully. Cause another ancient spren being around would be good.

Edited by NoiseSpren

1 hour ago, NoiseSpren said:

And honourable lady, the Sja-Anat herself!!!

Want!Want! Sja-Anat Bondsmith.

Wow, the implications of that would be immense.  I wouldnt want to be one of the folks that has to deal with it, but it would be all kinds of interesting from a narrative perspective.  And I think it would fitin line with the theme that people should rush to judge or be too committed to what they think are the sides in this war.  We've already seen that it's not as clear cut as Human Vs Singer, and all kinds of old traditional boundaries are being challenged.  The emergence and/or actual Acceptance of a 4th Bondsmith spren, which was previously taboo, would be a hell of a can of worms, and Im guessing it would not be one the current spren cultures (most of them, anyway) would easily accept.