They brought the Void

Benedictify

What if, the original Surgebinders came to Roshar, bringing Odium in order to lock him in a prison, which they found there (or next door...?) and that’s why Odium hates the humans so much and wants to escape and kill them. 

I probably need to catch up on the rest of the Cosmere... I have some reading to do.

According to Brandon, they didn't exactly bring Odium, the humans just gave him a foothold on Roshar when they came, more than the Dawnsingers had in the past times he could have travelled there. He was also apparently very involved in the circumstances that followed and the situation that got them to have to move in the first place.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

What was the order of the Shards coming to Roshar and changing allegiances? Did Humans come with Odium?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So... you're talking about on Roshar specifically? So, Odium had visited Roshar. The humans gave him more of an ear... The Dawnsingers would have considered him the god of the people who had come, but-- I mean, it wasn't like they necessarily brought him. He was capable of getting around before that. I mean, he did kinda come along with them, he was instrumental in what happened there.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay, but he was separate, and after Honor and Cultivation had really settled there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he was after Honor and Cultivation had settled.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

Edited by Invocation

@Invocation thanks for bringing that WOB to my attention. I thought there was more to the story than that Stele in Oathbringer. I figured Brandon is too good an author for the "humans are evil" trope.
What I think might be plausible is that the humans (at least initially) were refugees. Of course, they still might have turned into conquerors later on.

14 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

What I think might be plausible is that the humans (at least initially) were refugees. Of course, they still might have turned into conquerors later on.

Oh, yeah, no, absolutely at least some of them were refugees. Worth noting is that it didn't happen all at once, there were multiple "waves" so to speak of immigration to Roshar from Ashyn. The first one probably would have been mostly refugees, but over time less of that would have happened and more people would have seen it as a new place to be conquered, especially once Odium started seeing an opportunity and encouraging that line of thought.

36 minutes ago, Benedictify said:

Is there a way I can see which book has more information about any of these particular bits of the Cosmere, without totally being spoilered? Maybe I should just start reading. (Probably some of it hasn't been revealed yet)

If you're interested in Cosmere stuff, start reading.  Nothing's as good as Stormlight, but the first Mistborn trilogy definitely has its high points even if the second book is rather weak.  Elantris and Warbreaker are stand-alone novels if you don't feel up to a trilogy, though Elantris won't teach you much (we only "know" what happened there because Brandon told us -- there isn't really any information in the book itself) and Warbreaker will really only teach you a bit about Nightblood and a couple other Stormlight characters.  Arcanum Unbound also has a bunch of background information, though I'd strongly recommend skipping the Scadrial short story if you haven't read Mistborn yet, as it contains major spoilers and wouldn't make much sense by itself anyway.  Those six books together contain most of the background material for the stuff that you'll see discussed on these boards.

That being said, most of what you'll see quoted are Words of Brandon (WoB) like what Invocation posted above.  They contain material that's not necessarily contained in the books, and most of us here are at least passingly familiar with them, if only because we read the WoBs that other people post.  But beware: these WoB can contain spoilers for literally any of his works, as they're just questions people asked which he (sometimes) answers.  So read with caution.

If you were going to read only one of the above stories and were interested in Cosmere knowledge, I'd recommend the Mistborn trilogy.  Not only do I think it's the best of the bunch, but the events of that series have some major Cosmere implications, and the spoilers for those books you're likely to come across in WoBs could actually spoil the story.  It's also the only one of Brandon's works where you really don't want to know the ending beforehand if you can avoid it.

• Chaos locked this topic