I think I have a theory as to how shards work. I'm sure this has been spoken about, but I don't know where. 

Shards, blades specifically, are solid stormlight/investiture. Spren can become shardblades, and the common theory as to shardplate is that spren form it, like by Kaladin, windspren by the hundreds surrounded him. Spren are bits of stormlight/investiture given sentience. Therefore, Shards are stormlight. They could cut, I suppose, by separating the sould of the object, but I think Brandon mentioned it in one of the the books. Shardblades can be summoned because of the sentience. It would explain why shardplate cannot be summoned and dismissed - there is no sentience. Because that's the only difference between the two.

In theory, then, if one could find a way to make stormlight solid, one could make virtually indestructable objects.

46 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Shards, blades specifically, are solid stormlight/investiture

Not exactly. Stormlight is gaseous Investiture and it predates the Shattering of Adonalsium. Shardblades are made of a mix of Honor and Cultivation's godmetals (ie their Investiture in Physical form) and the Honorblades are pure 'Tanavastium'. Per this WoB (discussing Mistborn) the form of Investiture is very important. Solid Investiture does different things from liquid Investiture does different things from gaseous Investiture. Stormlight has an Honor/Cultivation 'spin' to it but it's usable as 'raw' Investiture for things like feeding a Divine Breath or causing the characteristic reaction of Taldaini sand. And just because you have Investiture in solid form doesn't mean it's immutable. Shardblades may seem indestructible but there's likely to be a point where even they'll break (if only once Nightblood gets involved and has a few good whacks at them) and we know other manifestations solid Investiture like atium can be melted and alloyed.

35 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

How do you explain the spren manifesting as shardblades, then? It's said that spren are large amounts of investiture given sentience - therefore, the investiture becomes solid. That's what shards seem to be.

Invesiture in the physical realm is in physical/liquid/gaseous form. The manifestation of a Radiantspren transitioned fully into physical is solid.

That is not the same as condensing Stormlight into a solid as Stormlight already exists in the physical a gas.

Whereas Spren default to solid invesitiure, Sotrmlight is gaseous. It may be possible to make stormlight solid (it has been proposed as a possibe origin of Plate) we don't know what it would be, but almost certainly NOT the same as Blade metal.

• Chaos locked this topic