[OB] Shalan and hemalurgy

CJ Feboris

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Nope, it cant happen by accident.  Hemalurgy only works if you know what you are doing and have the actual Intent to make a spike, so even if you manage to hit a correct Bind Point with the correct Alloy, it's just a normal stabbing.

But... What about Spook? That was totally accidental.

13 minutes ago, Helwar said:

But... What about Spook? That was totally accidental.

Per WOB yhe person that spiked him was being manipulated by Ruin directly, and the Intent was there:

Questioner

Allomancy requires, you need to be either a Misting or a Mistborn to be able to do that. But Hemalurgy you just need to stab someone through the heart. So what would stop someone on Roshar from using Hemalurgy, because it's not Innate? Do you have to be in proximity to Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Intent is a big part of a lot of the magics, including Hemalurgy, meaning that you need to know what you're doing. Or somebody needs to-- There needs to be Intent involved in what's happening to you.

Questioner

So like with Spook when he got spiked, where was the Intent?

Brandon Sanderson

The person who was driving that spike was being influenced by Ruin, and the Intent was there.

Questioner

So unless you knew what you were trying to do with a Hemalurgic spike, you couldn't do Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

You could not steal attributes no.

Questioner 2

Is it possible to steal Surgebindings.

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible to steal Surgebinding.

Questioner

Is there going to be crossover, like is someone going to have Feruchemical powers and also Surgebinding?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a Read And Find Out.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Figured the answer would be something like that.. I dunno I reread all of Mistborn recently and I remember that scene being pretty chaotic. I guess divine intervention can force chance too... but for Spook to be stabbed through a pewterarm and the tip of the blade just break and get stuck in him... Well. Divine intervention, no need to make sense.

As for the actual thread: Can you even make a spike without killing the donor?

1 hour ago, Helwar said:

Figured the answer would be something like that.. I dunno I reread all of Mistborn recently and I remember that scene being pretty chaotic. I guess divine intervention can force chance too... but for Spook to be stabbed through a pewterarm and the tip of the blade just break and get stuck in him... Well. Divine intervention, no need to make sense.

We actually see an example of this from the spiker's point of view elsewhere in the book and they're waiting for the guidance that they know is coming which will tell them exactly where and when to strike to get the right effect. Someone less open to control can't be directly possessed but Ruin can still provide the Intent and give them the nudge to strike at the right time..

As for the actual thread: Can you even make a spike without killing the donor?

It's possible but nobody knows how to do it right now. Also, the donor would be left 'worse than a Drab'.

Edited by Weltall

And to add to what @Weltall said, in tapping the Gold you would be Growing a new piece of Soul, it won't be the original soul.  The implication (I think) is that it would potentially have major changes, because gold would get you back to "whole soul" but it wouldnt have a complete Spiritweb template to work from, so the new piece would be different than the old, and may or may not be as functional. Which I think actually opens up some very strange possibilities, like maybe if they took your Misting ability you could become a different kind of Misting.

Kurkistan

So you've said that healing is like the Spiritual wants to heal and then it filters through the Cognitive, but how's that work with healing wounds to the soul like Hemalurgy or Shardblades? What do you refer to to heal the soul at that point?

Brandon Sanderson

You need to make a patch on the soul with Investiture.

Kurkistan

So how's the Investiture know where to go, what to look like?

Brandon Sanderson

Well your soul is an ideal. So if you can get it up there, there are ways to do-- to recreate that with um... See I'm getting into stuff for later books.

Argent

No, that's okay.

Kurkistan

So when Hemalurgy rips something off the soul, is that the ideal soul or some sub-soul?

Brandon Sanderson

That is off of your soul, and it can be healed; but what it's going to be doing is creating a patch of new soul. So it will not be your original soul. Does that make sense?

Kurkistan

Okay, that- well, not completely, but I think that's your intention.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bystander

If you do that, is that like Frankenstein's monster, or is it like a graft that's absorb--

Brandon Sanderson

Less horrifying- Less horrifying than Frankenstein's monster, but it is a graft that is like-- It is not your original soul.

Bystander

Yeah, but in modern medicine stuff like that is absorbed-

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, in this you will always have a scar on your soul that something else has patched over.

Kurkistan

So Kaladin shouldn't just keep getting his arm chopped?

Brandon Sanderson

*ignoring/not-hearing Kurkistan just now* But that is what happens with most forms of investiture in the first place.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

• Chaos locked this topic