What you don't want from the next book?

MistboreD

I don't want the main characters to wander off in different directions and never interact with each other. If they must go on a solo mission, fine, but anchor it with interaction with other characters at the beginning or end. I love seeing the characters from other characters' POVs. It's fun to see how perceptions can be different, and I want to see these people play off one another.

21 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Neigh impossible for a Radiant. Give her enough Stormlight and you could cut the child out with a dull knife. Not that I would wish her that, but it would work. If you want her dead it has to be an accident with soulcasting or extreme violence. Knights Radiant just don't fall ill and die.

From a story viewpoint we need her for the Ghostblood plot to advance.

Dang I guess your right. 

21 hours ago, CosmicSieve said:

I don't want the main characters to wander off in different directions and never interact with each other. If they must go on a solo mission, fine, but anchor it with interaction with other characters at the beginning or end. I love seeing the characters from other characters' POVs. It's fun to see how perceptions can be different, and I want to see these people play off one another.

Completely agree. I hate "break-ups" when everyone is scattered across the winds and does their own thing. That was also the main reason why I didn't like part one in OB too much: because Kaladin was all on his own and the rest of the crew back in Urithiru.
I love different POVs on different characters.
Initially, I was very disappointed when I opened up Oathbringer and looked through the five parts and who was going to get POVs and saw that Kaladin didn't have any in part 2. This was pretty much made up for by the Bridge Four POVs, which were great in their own right and provided some great looks on Kaladin from the different members.

So. Keep the band together or at least keep certain groups together.

Would it be an offtop to discuss here what I want from the next book? I thought it is not a very big topic to start a new one...

I love Rysn, and I want more of her in SA4. I also thought about her brand new Wandersail and had an idea. What if Puuli's grandfather was talking about it? Ofc I think Rysn will be Radiant, she fits perfectly to the crew, so what if our Radiant team has to get on board of her Wandersail and sail to the Origin? It will also be a potential for the return of my precious Yalb, as Shallan had drawn him alive.

Edited by Sedside

3 hours ago, Sedside said:

Would it be an offtop to discuss here what I want from the next book? I thought it is not a very big topic to start a new one...

I think let's do another topic for that! There's plenty to discuss there.

i came here without thinking anything in particular, but now i'm seconding a moash redemption arc. I've always considered moash a waste of organic matter. He's completely different from dalinar, who got a great redemption arc: dalinar showed the seeds of what he would become since the first flashback.

shalladin is also something i'd rather not see, unless shallan and adolin decide to be an open couple, but i really don't see it happening...

and speaking of that, shallan's issues should not be fixed offscreen in the year that passed,  and they must impact the marriage in some way.

Finally, i don't want adolin to disappear.

none of thoose things are very likely, though

There is an abundance of secrecy and subterfuge especially in the first two books. Everybody hides from everybody else being a Radiant. Shallan is playing Jane Bond without an M. Bridge 4 faced an internal conspiracy. Jasnah is planning a hit job on her cousin. This has got to end. Number #4 wil have in large parts have to be a war book. With Jasnah and Dalinar in control,  some consolidation is just realistically inevitable.

I guess that's a wish that will remain unfulfilled, but:

Please a little less Magical Disability Healing.
It's one of the very few thing that bug me about SA. Everybody's regrowing limbs and heals from everything.
A few years ago I wouldn't have cared about it, but I know too many people with disabilities who very much care about representation and don't like the trope very much.
So. I guess I don't want Rysn to become a Radiant?

1 hour ago, Winds Alight said:

It's one of the very few thing that bug me about SA. Everybody's regrowing limbs and heals from everything.
A few years ago I wouldn't have cared about it, but I know too many people with disabilities who very much care about representation and don't like the trope very much.

I think it would be cool if she became a Radiant but remained disabled due to having accepted her injury as part o her identity.

2 minutes ago, Sedside said:

Yeah, she could be like that guy from Forrest Gump. I don't remember his name :(

Lt. Dan?

However, in that case it would've made more sense if Lopen had remained one-armed as he has accepted his disability waaaaaaay more than Rysn.
We'll see.

Edited by Winds Alight

5 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

Lt. Dan?

However, in that case it would've made more sense if Lopen had remained one-armed as he has accepted his disability waaaaaaay more than Rysn.
We'll see.

Given how desperately he wanted Stormlight I don't think he did accept his disability. I think all his humour about it was a coping mechanism.

1 hour ago, Winds Alight said:

The Knights Radiant went to battle and after three months 90% of them had gone on disability benefits. Which were not paid because the Voidbringers took over.

2 hours ago, Sedside said:

Yeah, she could be like that guy from Forrest Gump. I don't remember his name :(

Lieutenant Dan.

I can totally see her remaining disabled as a KR but only if she gets to RIDE A LANCERYN instead. Because that would be awesome.

4 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

Lt. Dan?

We'll see.

Actually as per WoB it is the reverse. Lopen never accepted he was "disabled" and continued to see himself as "whole" is why he still healed after so long without his arm. He even jokes in the book about making rude gestures with his non-existent arm or about strangling the thing that ate it from the inside. 

The Kholins were a bit like the Kardashians. The majority of the reestablished orders is led by Kholins. And the Windrunners have a leader who is in their service and they are recruiting their squires from the Kholin armies.. The only Knight Radiant not Vorin among the new Knights is Lift. This cannot go on.

On 18/02/2019 at 7:55 PM, Winds Alight said:

On the other hand, consistency is important. He can't play favourites with main characters. So either he creates characters who aren't disabled, or he creates characters who heal through stormlight.

(Or characters who see themselves as disabled. Like Toph. Characters like Toph.)

Just now, Embrisk said:

On the other hand, consistency is important. He can't play favourites with main characters. So either he creates characters who aren't disabled, or he creates characters who heal through stormlight.

I guess it's too late now, but a good solution might have been that Stormlight can't heal existing disabilities like Hobber's or Lopen's but can heal any injury someone receives after becoming Radiant.
Now I guess I'll have to live with it as it is. ^^"