Lift as an allomancer

That is an interesting question. I don't think she'd be able to turn it into metal, but it makes sense that she'd be able to draw power from it. I assume that's what you mean. If she was a Misting, it might make some sense because she'd only really be able to draw one type of power from it but then if you consider the possibility of her being Mistborn... I really don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say probably not. 

20 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

That is an interesting question. I don't think she'd be able to turn it into metal, but it makes sense that she'd be able to draw power from it. I assume that's what you mean. If she was a Misting, it might make some sense because she'd only really be able to draw one type of power from it but then if you consider the possibility of her being Mistborn... I really don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say probably not. 

That makes sense. so let's say that she is a mistborn. Do you think that she would simply be incapable of drawing power from food, or would she only be able to use food to power one allomantic ability, or do you think something else would happen? what if "burning food" would give Lift access to all allomantic powers at once. 

Does lift glow? Because it's possible she can only turn food into Stormlight, not any investiture.

If it is general investiture I personally think she would still need the metal as it is the filter.

A mistborn without metal isn't lacking the "investiture" as that comes from Preservation, they lack the filter/conduit and I think Lift would also still need it. 

What she might be able to do is superflare her metal by using it filter Preservations power and her own food investiture, in essence making her a stronger allomancer.

I think she would need to do some work to hack her ability to fuel Allomancy.  As other people have pointed out, Lift can metabolize food directly into Stormlight.  But Stormlight doesn't power Allomancy - Allomancy is powered directly by Preservation's Investiture filtered through specific metals.  I think she could hack it so that she could power her Allomancy from Stormlight instead of Preservation, but she'd still need the correct metals, so it wouldn't be very useful.  

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I think she could hack it so that she could power her Allomancy from Stormlight instead of Preservation, but she'd still need the correct metals, so it wouldn't be very useful.  

I agree, this is what I meant at rhe end of my previous post.

It could be useful, in essence she would be a stronger allomancer than if she just used Preservations power but the hack required would probably make the cost outweigh the benefit.

Gaining all of the allomantic powers from one source would be incredibly hard to control. if you wanted to pull something to you, you might set them all off at once, suddenly having your "tin" flare, blinding you, and both pushing and pulling on all the metal around you, causing things to just fly around chaotically and throw yourself around, as well as messing up all the emotions of the people around you, both soothing and rioting at once. The separation of the metals is what makes a mistborn able to control them effectively, as fine tuning a push or a pull can be incredibly difficult. It is easier for the internal metals to be controlled, and the emotional as well, but iron and steel show how difficult it can be. To have to fine tune something with all of them at once to only use one might be the equivalent of a soft steelpush, but probably much worse.

22 hours ago, Jace21 said:

A mistborn without metal isn't lacking the "investiture" as that comes from Preservation, they lack the filter/conduit and I think Lift would also still need it. 

If mistborns have investiture without metals, wouldn't that mean they have unlimited amounts of investiture inside them at all times? That's pretty intense. That would mean they can hold Nightblood indefinitely!

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Perdition said:

If mistborns have investiture without metals, wouldn't that mean they have unlimited amounts of investiture inside them at all times? That's pretty intense. That would mean they can hold Nightblood indefinitely!

They don't have investiture without metals. I specifically said they get their investiture from Preservation. 

The point I was making was that Lift's investiture from food wouldn't help her access allomany. While she could use her food investiture as the source instead of Preservation (with a hack), she would still need the metal to access/filter the power.

So if an Allomancer to wield Nightblood it would be by burning metals constantly so that Nightblood could feed on Preservations investiture as they draw on it. 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, not an Evil Librarian said:

If lift were to become an allomancer , would she be able to convert food into metal?

She is making the fuel not the focus. Her metals would potentially never burn up, rather than her producing metals. The really interesting case would be for her to become a feruchemist.

14 hours ago, Ghost of Perdition said:

To elaborate on what @Jace21 said, Allomancy has two steps.  First you burn the metal.  This creates basically a door to a huge chunk of power (Preservation's Investiture) located in the Spiritual Realm (i.e. not inside of the Allomancer).  This power flows into the Allomancer and is "shaped" by the specific metal burnt to determine what effect that power has (e.g. steel pushing, Soothing/Rioting, etc.).  Nightblood would indeed be able to feed on this power, but only as long as it was flowing through you.  Once you run out of metals, he'd start to feed on you like everyone else.  

44 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

She is making the fuel not the focus. Her metals would potentially never burn up, rather than her producing metals. 

But the fuel in Allomancy is Preservation's Investiture in the Spiritual Realm.  I don't see how you can have Allomancy without burning metals (or Shard-level shenanigans).  

44 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

The really interesting case would be for her to become a feruchemist.

This is super interesting.  I don't think I've seen anyone propose that before (I certainly didn't think about it).  

It seems like she would be able to store the metabolized Investiture in the metalminds, although this might require two hacks: the ability to use Stormlight in the magic system, and a way of directly storing Investiture in place of attributes.  

Just now, Scion of the Mists said:

To elaborate on what @Jace21 said, Allomancy has two steps.  First you burn the metal.  This creates basically a door to a huge chunk of power (Preservation's Investiture) located in the Spiritual Realm (i.e. not inside of the Allomancer).  This power flows into the Allomancer and is "shaped" by the specific metal burnt to determine what effect that power has (e.g. steel pushing, Soothing/Rioting, etc.).

Not entirely. Allomancy has no problem burning atium, which does provide its own fuel. Nor is this limited to pure atium. The alloys also work.
We are not sure whether allomancy really requires you to use either Preservation or Ruin. In fact if anything that is hemalurgically active also works allomantically, Trellium must be burnable.

Just now, Scion of the Mists said:

But the fuel in Allomancy is Preservation's Investiture in the Spiritual Realm.  I don't see how you can have Allomancy without burning metals (or Shard-level shenanigans).  

Without having metals, yes. But using them up?

7 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

We are not sure whether allomancy really requires you to use either Preservation or Ruin. In fact if anything that is hemalurgically active also works allomantically, Trellium must be burnable.

Not entirely true.We have WoB that the basic metals all draw power from Preservation that is shaoed by the metal. The exception, as you say, are Godmetals like Atium. To burn a Godmetal you need to be an allomancer, and be Connected to the Shard whose metal it is. Ruin isn't an issue as Scadrians are connected to Ruin due to his involvement in their creation.

Hemalurgy doesn't have the same requirements so while Trellium can be hsed as a spike, it would only be burnable if you were Connected to "Trell".

12 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Yes, they would be used up. The act of "filtering" the power into a specific effect seems ti be what consumes them. There's no reason I can see why that would change if the power came from Lift's ability rather than preservation. The function of the metal hasn't changed.

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
24 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

To elaborate on what @Jace21 said, Allomancy has two steps.  First you burn the metal.  This creates basically a door to a huge chunk of power (Preservation's Investiture) located in the Spiritual Realm (i.e. not inside of the Allomancer).  This power flows into the Allomancer and is "shaped" by the specific metal burnt to determine what effect that power has (e.g. steel pushing, Soothing/Rioting, etc.).  Nightblood would indeed be able to feed on this power, but only as long as it was flowing through you.  Once you run out of metals, he'd start to feed on you like everyone else. 

Not entirely. Allomancy has no problem burning atium, which does provide its own fuel. Nor is this limited to pure atium. The alloys also work.

Atium is a special case, both because it's a god metal and because it was an early addition to the Cosmere, prior to Brandon firming up the mechanics, so it "breaks a lot of rules."  

Only the Scadrian god metals work naturally with the Metallic Arts.  Other shards would have to hack the system to have their metals work.  Trell has clearly done this (at least with Hemalurgy).  

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Ninja'd :( What @Jace21 said.  Burning the metal is what causes the filtering effect, not just having metal in your stomach.  

• Chaos locked this topic