I tried, but I couldn't find an article about this. At the end of OB, Moash goes behind the palace in Kholinar and kills an old drunk that we know to be Jezrien (If it's a different herald, I'm sorry) with a dagger that has a gemstone on the hilt. After stabbing the Herald through the heart, the gemstone begins glowing softly.

When I first read this, my initial thoughts went to a WoB what stated that Hemalurgy in some form or another could be performed anywhere in the Cosmere. I believe that is what happened when Moash killed the Herald.

Thoughts? Has this been confirmed?

Per WOB it was not actual hemalurgy but it operates on similar principles. 

My own interpretation of this WOB is that the similarity he is referencing is from the fact one of the fundamentals of Hemalurgy is that by stabbing a person you are able to transcend the realms to access their Spirit-web directly.  The difference being that Hemalurgy can be any pointy bit of metal (of the correct alloys), but very specifically requires Intent to perform Hemalurgy to make it happen or else it's just a stabbing, whereas Moash didnt have any such knowledge, and I think the dagger that was used was more along the lines of a specialty Fabrial to accomplish similar spiritweb shenanigans. 

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

But it's there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Edited by Quantus

So, it operates on similar principles, but if we're getting nitty-gritty, it is not the same.

Your theory on a specialized fabrial has some merit, especially as fabrials are a "magic system" that anyone can use, unlike Surgebinding which requires an Oathblade or a Nahel Bond, just as Hemalurgy on Scadrial can be used by anyone, as opposed to Feruchemy and Allomancy, which seems to require a combination of the right ancestors with sheer genetic luck.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

I am 95% percent sure that would be Felt. He seems just the type to have double Atium spikes in order to live longer. And since he is from House Venture, it is likely that he has a private atium retirement policy.

Questioner

So, the fan page wanted to know. Would it be possible for Hemalurgy to steal a living Shardblade? That was the top voted question.

Brandon Sanderson

Ok, so you're bonded to a Shardblade. You get spiked, then they spike off the bond so that the Shardblade is bonded to someone else.

Questioner

I assume so...

Brandon Sanderson

But can they do it with a living Shardblade? You can definitely do it with a dead Shardblade because its just stealing the Connection. With a living Shardblade, yes you could do that 'though the spren could break the bind at will.

Questioner

So the spren would survive? That was the second-- the corollary--

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh. Would the spren survive? The spren would survive as long as the oaths were--

Questioner

Intact?

Brandon Sanderson

--the person didn't break the oaths. But you could theoretically steal the bond, break the oaths, and kill the spren. If you wanted to. Its a very convoluted to kill a spren, they are easier to kill than that, but yes. You could do that. That is a viable but twisted route that you can do. You would end up with a dead spren and a Shardblade, so there is that. But there are easier ways to accomplish that...

White Sand vol.1 Orem signing (June 29, 2016)

Questioner

I was wondering if a bond to a spren, a Nahel bond, may be taken with a Hemalurgic spike.

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible but it's gonna-- Since the spren has free will it's going to be-- Yeah it's going to have weird ramifications but it is a possible thing.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 23, 2017)

• Chaos locked this topic