Multi Radiant

Turin Turambar

A person can have the type of personality that attracts multiple types of Nahel spren. Ym in the interludes illustrates this. He bonded a Truthwatcher spren but was considered by cultivationspren prior to him forming his bond.  

As for actually achieving that double bond? Ark beat me to it.

A minor point of contention however. When a Spren fills the hole in a particular spiritweb, it doesn't just sit there. It incorporates itself into the spirit, eventually becoming one with their bondmate.

36 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

so the spren and the person become one entity? do their personalities begin to merge? 

I haven't heard that one, but it makes a lot of sense. I think it's like they've influenced each other so much they are just one being, not able to even distinguish the difference.

Yes the spren and their bondmate merge... But it's not that they're going to become one person. 

yulerule (Paraphrased)

I also asked about the connection between the spren and Surgebinder, such that the spren turns into what the Surgebinder wants. Like in Edgedancer, [Wyndle] turns into a bar of metal and into a Shardfork. Wyndle himself isn't "in tune" with Lift, so his turning into something that she needs with no prior warning...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, they actually mix. When the bonding is happening, what's happening is that the gaps in the souls are being filled with the spren's <essence>. And they are actually melding into one 

yulerule

*inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

And they are actually melding into one individual *inaudible*.

yulerule

<And the minds are separate?>

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, mhm.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

Two entities with a merged Spiritual aspect. 

Two bodies, two minds, one soul. 

Edited by Calderis

27 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

Not entirely related, but I wonder if Sja-Anat could make a spren with two non-sequential Surges. Or give a spren 3 Surges, instead of just 2.

Glys has the same surges as a normal Truthwatcher spren, it's just that one is the Voidbinding version.

At least that's what I think is going on.

21 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Not entirely related, but I wonder if Sja-Anat could make a spren with two non-sequential Surges. Or give a spren 3 Surges, instead of just 2.

I doubt Sja-Anat could, but Shards almost certainly can. That's essentially what Yelig-Nar seems to be.

Okay, so I no joke just saw this after I created something similar (sorry!) so I'll repost what I said here. I also used Dual Radiant instead of multi-Radiant

As for Dual Radiants, I only have two guesses at the moment:

First is Shallan with Sja-Anat. Sja-Anat seemingly wants to switch sides, and has influence over voidspren not unlike the Stormfather. So, what if joining with her makes Shallan the Voidbinding equivalent of a Bondsmith? I think this is interesting because it satisfies multiple agendas for Shallan: capturing Sja-Anat for the Ghostbloods while making herself invaluable to them; helping Sja-Anat truly switch sides; taking out a major threat for the Good Guys while getting an Unmade to study. Everybody wins! ...until this inevitably goes bad, which would be AWESOME. 

Second is Kaladin. Kaladin is clearly on the growth track to becoming a Bondsmith. The way he brings people together sometimes feels like it goes beyond just leading - sometimes it screams "Unite Them." If I remember correctly, Syl even fought off some Gloryspren, which seems like some foreshadowing to me! Lastly, not every character is going to make it out. Dalinar, as much as I love him, is probably closest to that chopping block and they'll need all three Bondsmiths for whatever happens next. And that's where Kaladin steps in. Alternatively Kaladin can bypass this by simply taking Ishar's Honorblade as mentioned above. 

Third is Rlain. Or by proxy, any Singer. Venli demonstrated the ability to be both a Voidbringer and a Radiant by having Timbre capture the voidspren in her gemheart. But if she didn't have the voidspren, would it have been possible to host two Radiant spren?

On 2/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, Turin Turambar said:

seems like it would occur past the last ideal.

I think, if it happens, it's much, much more likely to happen to someone who isn't far advanced in either Order.  The various Order's Oaths conflict - the more you swear, the more difficult it's going to be to abide by them all.  

13 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Second is Kaladin. Kaladin is clearly on the growth track to becoming a Bondsmith. The way he brings people together sometimes feels like it goes beyond just leading - sometimes it screams "Unite Them." If I remember correctly, Syl even fought off some Gloryspren, which seems like some foreshadowing to me! Lastly, not every character is going to make it out. Dalinar, as much as I love him, is probably closest to that chopping block and they'll need all three Bondsmiths for whatever happens next. And that's where Kaladin steps in. Alternatively Kaladin can bypass this by simply taking Ishar's Honorblade as mentioned above. 

Weirdly enough I agree with this. Kaladin, if he can swear the 4th Oath, is a good candidate to take on a bond with the Stormfather. The Stormfather seems to dislike him less than the rest of humanity, as evidenced by him making comments about Kal and his arguments with Syl. Also, it would be awesome to see the Father-Daughter interactions going on between Syl and the Stormfather and Kaladin having to mediate between the two of them. 

As far as multiple spren bonds, I think some spren are more likely to accept a second Nahel bond than others. The Honor spren are highly territorial and the Highspren seem like they do not like people that much. But the Inkspren and Cryptics might be persuaded to share a host.

5 minutes ago, MistboreD said:

Sigh. Sanderson was asked miltiple times if Kaladin could be another Radiand, not just Windrunner, and he answered "no". He said he've never thought about different Order for Kaladin. He's a Windrunner. That's it.

Interesting! I have a secondary theory that Kaladin might end up with an Honorblade (Ishar's to be exact), so I'll put that more in the forefront then. Thanks for the info!

7 minutes ago, MistboreD said:

Sigh. Sanderson was asked miltiple times if Kaladin could be another Radiand, not just Windrunner, and he answered "no". He said he've never thought about different Order for Kaladin. He's a Windrunner. That's it.

Lol. Classic. "Adolin is gonna die and Kaladin will take Shallan, because no way Kaladin doesn't get a girl" Who cares that Sanderson was building Adolin/Shallan since book 2.

"Dalinar is gonna die and Kaladin will take the Stormfather, because no way Kaladin doesn't get the most powerful spren on Roshar" Who cares that Sanderson was building Dalinar/Stormfather bond/relationship since book 1.

"Everyone is gonna die and Kaladin will take everything from everyone, because no way Kaladin doesn't have all the power on this planet." Who cares that he's not the only one character in this story.

Funny how people want to turn Kaladin into unsympathetic embodiment of Mary Sue.

21 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Interesting! I have a secondary theory that Kaladin might end up with an Honorblade (Ishar's to be exact), so I'll put that more in the forefront then. Thanks for the info!

Um. Maybe. I'm not sure if he needs a honorblade. For what purpose?

Just now, MistboreD said:

It's an outgrowth of a theory of mine that not all of the original Heralds will have their Honorblades back by the end of Book 5/the series, especially since Vyre's going around, doing his thing. So the question becomes "who will have them?" Kaladin was one of my potential picks for Ishar's blade. As for why? Maybe to be a Bondsmith out in the field, without restrictions; maybe to just be a super awesome multi-powered Radiant. I don't really have a reason other than Kaladin has some of the attributes of a Bondsmith and I could totally see him going that path. The blade just allows him to gain the powers without the need to go down that rabbit-hole.

14 minutes ago, RayW2 said:

Lol. Classic. "Adolin is gonna die and Kaladin will take Shallan, because no way Kaladin doesn't get a girl" Who cares that Sanderson was building Adolin/Shallan since book 2.

"Dalinar is gonna die and Kaladin will take the Stormfather, because no way Kaladin doesn't get the most powerful spren on Roshar" Who cares that Sanderson was building Dalinar/Stormfather bond/relationship since book 1.

"Everyone is gonna die and Kaladin will take everything from everyone, because no way Kaladin doesn't have all the power on this planet." Who cares that he's not the only one character in this story.

Funny how people want to turn Kaladin into unsympathetic embodiment of Mary Sue.

That was definitely not my intent for Kaladin to become a Mary Sue (or the only over-powered character...). My point was that if Dalinar doesn't make it out - which I really, really want him to - it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility that Kaladin could pick up where he left off. You could argue that Navani could do the same, and I wouldn't disagree (as some of her internal monologues sound very Bondsmith-y too). 

Also, Sanderson has a habit of both building stuff up only to subvert our expectations (Eshonai and Elhokar) as well as changing his drafts around to suit the story he feels he wants to tell (Kaladin's arc from Book 3 being moved to WoR, Shallan's love triangle becoming more focused on how unstable she is, Navani going from flashback character to prologue character, etc). 

Besides, if we're talking multi-Radiants, like I said in my above post, my first choice goes to Shallan.

28 minutes ago, MistboreD said:

For extra powers.  

With his current powers, he's very effective at scouting and fighting at close range; however, his powers really only augment his natural fighting ability.  Something like Soulcasting or Division would give him a magical means of fighting.  

2 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I think, if it happens, it's much, much more likely to happen to someone who isn't far advanced in either Order.  The various Order's Oaths conflict - the more you swear, the more difficult it's going to be to abide by them all.  

Scion of the Mists - that was going on spren - radiant personality merging. Sorry it wasn't clear.

Also, we don't need Kaladin to become a fighting epitome. Brandon mentioned once that the limitations of a magic system make it interesting. I think the same applies here - Kaladin will be limited, maybe becoming even more so as he becomes more powerful. More focused, maybe. Windrunners, I think, are the "watchers of the rim." I'm not going to support the theory now, but there is proof if anyone wants to find it. 

Furthermore, just because Kaladin doesn't have a woman doesn't mean anything. His personality would scare away MANY people, and Shallan isn't the only woman in the SA. 

Sorry if that offended any women out there, this post wasn't intended to represent women as objects.