The Mistborn Series: Era 1 Discussion

Snake Eyes Productions_YT

1 hour ago, Spook'o said:

Marsh, Is my second favorite character, and I think he is awesome beyond compare. His fate, ummm, maybe he's considering being a good guy.

You might not have liked the initial ending Marsh had in Brandon's eyes, then. Initially, Sanderson had Marsh written off as being dead, "burned out by the sun" soon before Sazed Ascended.

13 minutes ago, Invocation said:

You might not have liked the initial ending Marsh had in Brandon's eyes, then. Initially, Sanderson had Marsh written off as being dead, "burned out by the sun" soon before Sazed Ascended.

Hmmmm. Ok. How did you know he was initially going to write that?

Just now, Spook'o said:

Hmmmm. Ok. How did you know he was initially going to write that?

He said it. Refer to the footnote of this WOB:

Kirrin

Marsh? The book doesn't mention him after he fights with Elend.

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh is alive. I changed this from when I talked to [Peter]. I realized some things about his use of Allomancy that would allow him to survive. Actually, he is immortal. He can pull off the same Allomancy/Feruchemy trick that the Lord Ruler did. (And he knows it too, since he was there when Sazed explained how it was done in Book One.) He's actually the only living person who actually knows this trick for certain. (Though there's a chance that Spook, Ham and Breeze heard about it from Vin and the others.) So yes, if there were another series, Marsh would make an appearance.

Douglas

I thought that trick required atium and involved burning the atium. With all the atium gone and Sazed not making any more, it would therefore not be possible even for a full mistborn/feruchemist. Am I wrong, is Sazed providing atium specifically for Marsh to allow a friend and valuable servant to survive, or what?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh has the bag of atium that KanPaar sent to be sold, as well as several nuggets in his stomach. So, I guess 'immortal' is the wrong phrase. He's got the only remaining atium in the world and can keep himself around for a long, long while—but he WILL eventually run out. Unless Sazed does something.

Footnote: Brandon had earlier told Peter that in his mind, Marsh was dead having been "burned out by the sun"
Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Mistborn is still my favorite Cosmere series. Though, I read all six books that are currently out in one go over the course of 3 months, so I can't really separate the original trilogy from Wax and Wayne era mentally. To me, it's one story in two parts. If I try to just think about the first trilogy, I would say that it's very satisfying. Mistborn always felt very grounded to me. Kill an immortal god-king, deal with the political and sociological consequences of doing so. Give a man the power of a god, but watch as he dooms the world without the knowledge to use it properly. Etc. 

So yeah, I love Mistborn.

Yeah. Mistborn is great. It's cool how human everyone is. People want to survive and be happy. That's really all its about, made interesting with some sweet magic systems. 

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

That... that's terrible. AGH! Marsh deserves better. He just does. That man has been through far more than anyone should and I just... the unfairness physically hurts me. 

But... Okay, would it have been better if he'd have died? Seriously. I mean, I love Marsh more than is probably normal or even okay, but maybe what he really needs is release. I've been overthinking this the last 4 hours between homework. It's really sad that he had to suffer through the burning of his planet (picturing this makes me cringe; I have an overactive imagination) only to live to do... what? We don't really know yet. For all we know, he's just sitting around doing practically nothing. If I were him, I'd be pretty angry at life. I was really surprised when he showed up at the end of AoL because I figured he'd have just pulled his linchpin and been done with it. I mean, why not, he's got every reason to do it. I was really proud of him that he didn't but still. I think he and Kell have that in common. They'll always push through whatever comes their way, defying all odds. (When life gives you lemons, punch your way to immortality!) But Marsh does it better. Like he does everything. And he gets absolutely nothing for it. Nothing but a whole lot of pain. And I know Brandon has said that he's relatively happy, I just... I think its extremely unfair that he's been kept alive for so long. 

• Chaos locked this topic