I'm having trouble understanding part of the Terris prophecies

PhoenixWaffle

One of the Terris prophecies state “He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it.” The prophecy says "his name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it", but his name wasn't Discord, his name was the exact opposite, his name's Harmony! Am I missing something?

No, I don't think you're missing anything. But think about it. Sazed can't really do anything with his Shards because they grate against each other. It's one thing to hold both Shards and quite another to get them to get along and work. They have differing Inents that don't go together so well. I think Discord is a better title for him than Harmony.

11 minutes ago, PhoenixWaffle said:

Not to be annoying or anything, but he didn't, and again, the prophecy said he shall not he might

Yeah, Preservation's future-sight was probably just wrong. That's a thing that's very possible, even likely, since the future-sight of the Shards is a complex thing.

The prophecy was wrong, specifically because of Sazed's unique worldview... 

chasmfriend's friend (Paraphrased)

My friend asked for Brandon to write something about Harmony in her Alloy of Law.

Brandon Sanderson

There's another name Harmony could go by if he weren't able to control the conflict between his halves… *to Zas* Have you guys figured that one out yet? Oh, I'm not going to say anything. You have it on recording… I was pretty sneaky with that one so I don't know if you have it or not.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Which was followed up by this. 

Questioner

Last time you said that his name, if it wasn’t Harmony, it would be something else. Is it Discord?

Brandon Sanderson

This is relevant.

Questioner

It is relevant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote: The questioner is referring to this exchange.
Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

And the possibility of Sazed later becoming Discord because of the conflict between his Shards is real. 

Shallan's Ward [PENDING REVIEW]

While Sazed holds Preservation and Ruin, could his intent change from Harmony to Discord?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It is possible

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic