Oltux72

Which aether did Mraize soil himself with?

15 posts in this topic

So he got it onto his pants. I would say that this makes it likely to be Amberite. But is this the only possibility? Which aether could he have on display? How do the ethers of the first generation actually look like and how are they propagated?

Most likely it is an Amberite Aether.  That is one that would allow the person that has bonded it to grow crystals of varying sizes(depending on the strength) to create weapons or armor.  As far as how first generation versus later ones, I am not sure there is any difference.  They are propagated by carefully splitting the gem and implanting it in a new host.

2 hours ago, dbulick said:

Most likely it is an Amberite Aether.  That is one that would allow the person that has bonded it to grow crystals of varying sizes(depending on the strength) to create weapons or armor.  As far as how first generation versus later ones, I am not sure there is any difference.  They are propagated by carefully splitting the gem and implanting it in a new host.

I mean Bestarian and Ferrous. How do they look? No physical description comes to my mind. You can split a crystal. But the third generation is propagated in yet another manner.

Ah, it was my understanding that when you split the cyrstal it grows back.  Then all subsequent generations are created the same way.

You would be correct, the Amberite crystal regrows after it's damaged. Just after she takes the bud, D'Naa thinks to herself that Raeth's crystal will grow back in a couple of months.

Since Mraize's trophy room contains what's obviously meant to be a chunk of Amberite, it's the only aether we have any reason to suspect as the source of the stain so absent any new information we can be safe in assuming it's the source.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

I mean Bestarian and Ferrous. How do they look? No physical description comes to my mind.

They're never described. We see the obvious physical manifestations of Bestarian bonds and those Ferrous who have become Corpates but we don't know what the aethers themselves are like. Raeth does at once point think that women were allowed to bond those aethers (but not Amberite or Verdant) so there must be a physical component they bond to, but we don't know what they look like. Since those bonds are transformative, it's likely the aether itself is enbedded in the chest somewhere and we're never given a good look at it, unlike the more obvious hand/wrist bonding points for Amberite and Verdant respectively.

Edited by Weltall

Aether is also the name for a clear, yet sweet-smelling chemical that is known to be flammable. Stormlight spoilers ahoy:

Spoiler

I suspect it was Mraize's way of getting the washerwoman in the scene out of the room so he could chat up the Herald, as chemical aether would leave no worse a stain than water.  

Edited by Landis963
Spoilers

On 2/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, Landis963 said:

Aether is also the name for a clear, yet sweet-smelling chemical that is known to be flammable. Stormlight spoilers ahoy:

Hide contents

I suspect it was Mraize's way of getting the washerwoman in the scene out of the room so he could chat up the Herald, as chemical aether would leave no worse a stain than water.  

^^ I agree, while it's odd since we know of aether as a component in a system of investiture, it makes more sense for it to be the chemical rather than the.....mineral? Whatever an aether is. How would a crystal even cause a stain in the first place?

On 3/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, luluzulu said:

^^ I agree, while it's odd since we know of aether as a component in a system of investiture, it makes more sense for it to be the chemical rather than the.....mineral? Whatever an aether is. How would a crystal even cause a stain in the first place?

Well we know for sure that he has an actual Aether crystal - Brandon's confirmed it.  Not sure how that'd leave a stain, especially since he can't use it.  

On 3/20/2019 at 6:47 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

Well we know for sure that he has an actual Aether crystal - Brandon's confirmed it.  Not sure how that'd leave a stain, especially since he can't use it.  

Exactly, I doubt he would even really have incentive to take it out of its case. What's he gonna do, lick it?

Posted (edited)

On 3/20/2019 at 8:47 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

1 hour ago, luluzulu said:

Exactly, I doubt he would even really have incentive to take it out of its case. What's he gonna do, lick it?

He might have gotten the stain while acquiring the aether(s) he has. Isn't Night mostly liquid, and doesn't Amberite/Verdant contact result in a liquidation effect?

Edited by Invocation

On 3/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, Invocation said:

He might have gotten the stain while acquiring the aether(s) he has. Isn't Night mostly liquid, and doesn't Amberite/Verdant contact result in a liquidation effect?

You may be right, I honestly don't remember

Night and Luminous are liquids, but I don't think they exist after the events of AotN. Abmerite contacting Verdant result in both becoming dust, I think. I tend to think the aether on Mraize's pants wasn't one from AotN, but it's basically a guess.

We have seen liquid Aethers before.  Also I doubt we know all the Aethers(we only saw 7 during the book).

On 6/1/2019 at 2:11 AM, Karger said:

We have seen liquid Aethers before.  Also I doubt we know all the Aethers(we only saw 7 during the book).

We saw 7? I can only count 6

On 6/8/2019 at 5:56 AM, Agent34 said:

We saw 7? I can only count 6

You may be right.  I just thought we saw 7 but either way the point is moot.  We have no evidence that we have seen all of them.